I just noticed that Theater Squares (and Acropolis) get +2 culture bonus from adjacent (World) Wonders.
Digging through the xml files, I see that this true for R&F and GS, not base.
I don't see it mentioned in any of the release notes.
Anyone know if this was a change in R&F when it was released, or something patched in more recently?

I just noticed that Theater Squares (and Acropolis) get +2 culture bonus from adjacent (World) Wonders.
Digging through the xml files, I see that this true for R&F and GS, not base.
I don't see it mentioned in any of the release notes.
Anyone know if this was a change in R&F when it was released, or something patched in more recently?

Pretty sure that was in base too. It's the only adj they get apart from half for districts.

What's all the requirements for Ancestral Hall? Sometimes I have the government plaza but can't build it (or any of the two other buildings).

Edit: Could it be you cannot have settlers? I gave up and settled two cities I had on hold and then all three buildings showed up the turn after. ofc other things happened that turn as well, but nothing major (I think).

Editedit: The requirement is not just the Plaza, but a Tier 1 government. So I have to wait for PP to finish. Silly me, although it could've been written in the in-game civilopedia I think.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that was in base too. It's the only adj they get apart from half for districts.

If I remember correctly I had +1 culture adjacency for wonders with my theatre district on my Switch version, which is vanilla.

So I just got GS. I'm wondering how coastal flooding works? What happens if I build a flood barrier after my lands have been submerged? Will I get them back? What happens to districts or wonders built on that flooded land? Really curious to know before I start playing a coastal civ.

If i understood corectly what I experienced, flooded tiles can be recovered after you build barriers. Submerged tiles are lost forever.
Tiles are flooded after 50cm raise, submerged after 1m raise above their height

I am playing a game as Canada and I can't DOW a city state. It says I can't declare surprise wars, which includes Surprise Wars on CS. But how can I declare war on a CS other than surprise them? I'm not suze of them, and neither is anyone else.

Am I just out of luck?

You are out of luck right now, but when they do get a suzerain you can do it indirectly. If you DOW a CS’s suzerain, the CS will join the war, allowing you to conquer them (but do so before someone else becomes their suzerain).

You are out of luck right now, but when they do get a suzerain you can do it indirectly. If you DOW a CS’s suzerain, the CS will join the war, allowing you to conquer them (but do so before someone else becomes their suzerain).

Thanks : ) I managed to get around the problem and win a peaceful, culture victory : )

Early game, I know to beeline to Crossbowmen, but later game I’m lost.
What are the Civ/techs/units to go to later game?

Also, any good guides for Civ 6, like CarlsGuide?

Early game, I know to beeline to Crossbowmen, but later game I’m lost.
What are the Civ/techs/units to go to later game?

Also, any good guides for Civ 6, like CarlsGuide?

There aren´t as many must have techs as earlier versions of Civ. I would say it mostly depends on your victory type or playing style. Some of my favourites:

Printing, for building Forbidden Palace
Apprenticeship and Industrialization, each +1 production from mines
Military Engineering/Gunpowder, great for military push
Ballistics, also great military push
Economics, Big Ben

By the later techs the game is usually already decided. For the civics:

Guilds, +100% adjacency for IZ and EZ
Exploration, Merchant Republic
Mercantilism, Logistics and Triangular Trade
Nationalism, Corps

I´ve left out the earlier techs and civics since they are often picked no matter what (like Political Philosophy).

Thanks. I'm still confused with the whole adjacency bonus and district stuff.
Like should that really be the focus when founding a city?
usually I look for luxerires/resources and how many tiles away it is from my city (I like to sprawl further out).

Should I be placing districts as soon as I can?
What districts comes first?

I find it confusing, especially with how I wonder if I should build a farm or not if the area will later be a district.

Adjacency should be considered after resources and distance from current cities. District cost goes up with each tech and civic you complete, so yes place them as early as possible. The cost is locked once it is placed, so you don't have to complete it immediately.

Early game, if going for a religion, the Holy Site is important. The Campus is important for keepung up with tech progress. After that, (domestic) Trade Routes are vital to growth, so Commercial Hub (+ Market) or Harbor (+ Lighthouse). After that, it depends on your goals, city placement, local resources, etc.

Reserving spots for key wonders is also important.
Keep in mind that some district buildings benefit all cities within 6 or 9 tiles and duplicates do not stack.

Your cute can only work as many tiles as you have population. So it doesn't make sense to build improvements on more tiles than that. I usually find places to build farms that aren't where I will want to build Districts. (Neighborhoods being the exception of course.)

Use the map pins to plan out where you will put Districts and Wonders, and which neighboring tiles to preserve for adjacency bonuses (or requirements) then build improvements elsewhere.

Has probably been asked a ton. So I have a nice clean Hydro Plant (for which I also build a nice little district), producing a bit of energy, and it doesn't have a regional effect?

1) I’m still confused by adjacency bonus, like I know when placing a campus you look for +1 science but what does adjacency do?

2) Compared to Civ5, is it not an issue spawning extra cities in terms of science and happiness cost?

3) Unlike Civ5, do you not need a campus or library in every city?

4) Should you always place as many districts as possible as soon as you can?

5) Do you need to have certain districts in all cities or does it not matter?

6) Should all cities on coast have harbor or just one?

7) Should your encampment city have all defense buildings?

1) I’m still confused by adjacency bonus, like I know when placing a campus you look for +1 science but what does adjacency do?

2) Compared to Civ5, is it not an issue spawning extra cities in terms of science and happiness cost?

1. You would like the adjacency bonus as high as possible. A campus with a adjacency bonus of +1 means that the (empty) district itself gives you 1 science each turn.

2. No extra cost. However, each luxury resource only give amenity to 4 cities. The more cities, the harder it gets to provide amenity to each city. No science penalty.

3. You don´t need but it´s good for science. But culture, faith, production, money etc are good as well. What is your victory aimed at?

4. Yes, cost increases as you get more techs and civics. Place them asap, then finish them when you consider it worthwhile. The cost is locked the moment it is placed (you must have the district in spot 1 in the production queue to lay the "base" and then switch it to a later queue position)

5. No. Build what you need. Some districts are less useful however...

6. It´s a good idea to build one in each coastal city to get all the food and production bonuses.

7. If you have an encampment you should build walls in the city center as the encampment and city gets a city strike shot each. But it´s not mandatory.

Also

1) When going for Science, how many cities should build a spaceport?

2) Whrn available, should you always corps units?

1. You would like the adjacency bonus as high as possible. A campus with a adjacency bonus of +1 means that the (empty) district itself gives you 1 science each turn.

2. No extra cost. However, each luxury resource only give amenity to 4 cities. The more cities, the harder it gets to provide amenity to each city. No science penalty.

3. You don´t need but it´s good for science. But culture, faith, production, money etc are good as well. What is your victory aimed at?

4. Yes, cost increases as you get more techs and civics. Place them asap, then finish them when you consider it worthwhile. The cost is locked the moment it is placed (you must have the district in spot 1 in the production queue to lay the "base" and then switch it to a later queue position)

5. No. Build what you need. Some districts are less useful however...

6. It´s a good idea to build one in each coastal city to get all the food and production bonuses.

7. If you have an encampment you should build walls in the city center as the encampment and city gets a city strike shot each. But it´s not mandatory.
Thanks.
So unlike Civ 5, campus is not a must every city.

Generally I like all cities to have walls.

I’m science or domination but as an urban planner I like great cities.

Adding to the comments above...
2. Each new settler, builder, (also missionary and apostle) costs more than the previous one.

5. Trade routes are unlocked by Commercial Hub (+Market ) or Harbor (+Lighthouse) so it is a good idea to have one or the other in every city.
Having both in one city does not unlock another trade route, but putting them in a triangle with a city center (and a river) gives nice adjacency bonuses.

Adding to the comments above...
2. Each new settler, builder, (also missionary and apostle) costs more than the previous one.

5. Trade routes are unlocked by Commercial Hub (+Market ) or Harbor (+Lighthouse) so it is a good idea to have one or the other in every city.
Having both in one city does not unlock another trade route, but putting them in a triangle with a city center (and a river) gives nice adjacency bonuses.
What do you means unlocks a trade route?

Top Bottom