hi, plz I'm completely new to Civ 6, is there any way I can get into an area completely surrounded by mountains?
Thanks
Spoiler mountains :

mountains.png

hi, plz I'm completely new to Civ 6, is there any way I can get into an area completely surrounded by mountains?
Thanks
Spoiler mountains :
Not for a while.
With the Chemistry tech you can build mountain tunnels, which make mountains traversable, although you can't stop on them. With two tunnels on the same range you can "transport" from one to the other for no(?) movement cost. You need a Military Engineer unit, trained or purchased in a city with an Armory (Encampment Tier 2 building)

Unless you play as Pachacuti, who gets a very early Unique to make mountain tunnels of his own.

Thanks
Spoiler mountains :
There are technically otherways, but they're not very useful. If you build a district inside the area that spawns units (encampment, holy site to my knowledge), you could explore the inside.

To do that, settle a city up close to a one layer thick stretch of mountains (eg possibly where that deer is south of Toronto). Grow it or buy tiles so you get one inside that is free and build said district. When you build or buy a unit appropriate to that district, it will spawn inside the area. Probably not a good idea though; it'll be stuck there into you get the tech to build a tunnel, plus any great people that happen to spawn there will also be trapped.

Your best bet, seeing as you're Gilgamesh and still got a way to go to get the tech, is probably to forget about it. Maybe settle around it, and you'll have an area preserved ready for settling later? It's upto you. That'll make loyalty a possible issue since your cities will be spread out more. But choices like that are the joy of Civ!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if wonders can buff natural wonders? For example, would petra buff the eye of the sahara?

Does anyone know if wonders can buff natural wonders? For example, would petra buff the eye of the sahara?

Petra does work on the eye of the Sahara. If the natural wonder tiles are usable at all, they seem to benefit from bonuses the same as normal tiles would.

Can a capital city of mine thats a free city now, drift to me through loyalty like any other city can?

So playing hotseat, I noticed you could set each city's difficulty separately, including human players.

What does it do when you set the human player's difficulty to various levels? Like, if I set it to deity, how does that effect things differently to if I set it to settler?

Last edited:
Weird question. If you're playing Secret Societies and you discover one...does that eliminate the game's remaining tribal villages?

ooops, seems the Gathering Storm expansion pack is needed for Mountain Tunnels to work :sad: any ways how to get accross mountains in vanilla?

America’s unique building says it gives extra tourism in the modern era... does that mean starting in the modern era, only in the modern era, or is it a permanent fixture once built?

I played a 6 player game and noticed hypatia was not in the game (never recruited or available). How many players are needed for all great persons?

America’s unique building says it gives extra tourism in the modern era... does that mean starting in the modern era, only in the modern era, or is it a permanent fixture once built?

I played a 6 player game and noticed hypatia was not in the game (never recruited or available). How many players are needed for all great persons?

(I swear these were two separate posts; I guess you or a mod combined them.)

America's unique building, the Film Studio, starts accumulating tourism towards a civilization once THAT civilization has reached the modern era, and for the rest of the game. I have no idea what you mean by "permanent fixture once built". Um...yes? Of course it is? All buildings are? Or is this confusion on how tourism works? When you are generating tourism towards a civ, that is a flat amount per turn and accumulates each turn. So this building simply doubles the tourism that the city its built in outputs towards a specific civ.

For example, let's say we're comparing America to Carthage. Say America is generating 250 tourism per turn, and 50 of that comes from Washington (200 from other cities + 50 from Washington = 250). Washington builds a Film Studio, but Carthage isn't in the modern era yet. The tourism towards Carthage each turn is still 250. Then say Carthage enters the modern era 10 turns later. Now the tourism from Washington is doubled, and you have 100 from Washington + 200 from other cities = 300 per turn. So the effect from the Film Studio is permanent for the rest of the game (unless the building is destroyed, captured, etc.)......does that make sense? Sorry if I over-explained, I just didn't really understand the question. xD

Regarding film studio, the wording had me confused. I just wanted to clarify when the extra boost to tourism applied. I see now, based on your response, it doesn't matter what era America is in, but rather the other civilizations. Furthermore, the benefit applies not "only" in the modern era, but in all eras going forward.

Also, I believe I figured out the correct answer to my second question. Once the game progresses past a certain era, let's say it goes from classical to medieval, no more classical era great persons can be recruited who aren't already on the board. Thus, if Euclid is shown as recruitable when you reach medieval, and Hypatia hasn't been obtained yet, she won't be in the game.

This wasn't really something I'd experienced much before, because I tend to play the higher difficulties. I tried a game on prince just for kicks to see if I could get every great person, but the game progressed to the next era and I ended up missing some. I spent too much faith on monumentality versus patronage. Lesson learned.

Also, I believe I figured out the correct answer to my second question. Once the game progresses past a certain era, let's say it goes from classical to medieval, no more classical era great persons can be recruited who aren't already on the board. Thus, if Euclid is shown as recruitable when you reach medieval, and Hypatia hasn't been obtained yet, she won't be in the game..
That's not the case, I can recruit "old" great people quite frequently. What's possible that happened was the bonus became irrelevant (I can't remember Hyspatia's ability)? I know I've lost Great People that I recruited and never used.

It’s true. Maybe you misunderstood me? Just imagine - no great admirals have been patronized by the start of medieval era. If Themistocles is currently shown on the great persons page, he will be still available, but the next great admiral after him will be medieval. The other classical great admirals are not in the game ie gone. Tested multiple ways.

Edit: In my example, medieval recruitment of Themistocles would count as “old” great person but other olds aren’t available.

It’s true. Maybe you misunderstood me? Just imagine - no great admirals have been patronized by the start of medieval era. If Themistocles is currently shown on the great persons page, he will be still available, but the next great admiral after him will be medieval. The other classical great admirals are not in the game ie gone. Tested multiple ways.

Edit: In my example, medieval recruitment of Themistocles would count as “old” great person but other olds aren’t available.
Entirely possible, I just remembered getting the "recruited old Great Person" notification, I never tracked whether I got more than one from the same type in the same era, so it's possible.

Regarding film studio, the wording had me confused. I just wanted to clarify when the extra boost to tourism applied. I see now, based on your response, it doesn't matter what era America is in, but rather the other civilizations. Furthermore, the benefit applies not "only" in the modern era, but in all eras going forward.

Glad I cleared it up for you then, regardless. :)

I recently had to restore my PC and re-installed Civ6. i am missing the key binding option for Capital- usually 'k'. did i miss an update?

I feel foolish that I can't figure this out but I guess I have to just ask. Yesterday I was helping liberate a captured capital. Due to poor terrain, I had to have a single strong siege unit on the other side of a mountain range with a balloon to attack. To guard this unit, I had 2 of the final heavy cavalry units (the super tanks). They were just hanging out in case but they were damaged so I put them on Fortify Until Healed. But then after a couple turns I realized neither of them were healing at all. I went and double checked they were on this stance. What penalty would be causing them to not heal?

I feel foolish that I can't figure this out but I guess I have to just ask. Yesterday I was helping liberate a captured capital. Due to poor terrain, I had to have a single strong siege unit on the other side of a mountain range with a balloon to attack. To guard this unit, I had 2 of the final heavy cavalry units (the super tanks). They were just hanging out in case but they were damaged so I put them on Fortify Until Healed. But then after a couple turns I realized neither of them were healing at all. I went and double checked they were on this stance. What penalty would be causing them to not heal?
No oil?

Top Bottom