Is it worth it to harvest a resource to place say an aqueduct or district? What if I have no other copy of the resource? Or, another copy buy no other copy in that city?

playing with NFP and all other dlcs.
You can only harvest Bonus Resources. You can't trade those, so it all depends on their Yields.

I also recommend the following Civs to play as a beginner:

Maori
America
Australia
Ottomans

I dont know about the Maori. Sure, they are strong in general. But you have to find a good spot where you want to settle which might be difficult for beginners.
America is fine as long as its Rough Rider Teddy. If you are a beginner you have to learn so much about the game that you probably dont want to learn the appeal game at the same time.
Australia and Ottomans are fine.
I would definitely add Rome to the list though. Also Greece seems like a good civ for beginners for me.

I personally think China is also a good beginner civ. Consistent bonuses to both Science and Culture, and UU and UI allow you to turtle-up and mostly avoid wars if you want. The only downside I can see is that China is kind of bad for offensive wars, and it's bonuses can also encourage over-reliance on wonders.

I personally think China is also a good beginner civ. Consistent bonuses to both Science and Culture, and UU and UI allow you to turtle-up and mostly avoid wars if you want. The only downside I can see is that China is kind of bad for offensive wars, and it's bonuses can also encourage over-reliance on wonders.
To be honest, apart from the Civs that play fundamentally differently (the most egregious example being Babylon, to my mind), it doesn't really matter too much which a beginner plays as. The various bonuses are too subtle to worry about on the first playthrough or so.

Last edited:
If you conquer an AI's capital during the late game (atomic/information era), is there any way to get rid of the grievances against that player?

Grievances decay naturally as soon as you are at peace. The Diplomatic Favour penalty for holding foreign capitals can´t be avoided. And they will still hate you.

In this case grievances decay at a rate of -3 or -2 per turn (atomic or informatio era), but keeping the capital gives me a +3 grievances per turn. So they don't decay and everybody hates me. Is there any way to reverse this?

In this case grievances decay at a rate of -3 or -2 per turn (atomic or informatio era), but keeping the capital gives me a +3 grievances per turn. So they don't decay and everybody hates me. Is there any way to reverse this?

Finish them off. Wipe them out from the map completely. You'll get more grievances from others for this fact, but they will be one time only and decaying, and you will do away with that source of continued grievance accumulation and further souring of relations with everybody.
Then, whenever someone denounces you, their grievances against you will be reduced by a corresponding amount. Use the situation that you're denounced, start some war an liberate a couple of city states or occupied cities and return them to original owners for further reduction of grievances with everyone. Continue this and before too long your reputation will be as clean as a drop of distilled water.

Otherwise, if it is already atomic or information era, probably it would be less complicated to just win the game? ;)

Hi there! I just have a quick question about a problem that I have with building the Temple of Artemis. It seems I am running into a bug of some sorts or, I dont understand the requirements.

I own two camps at my city here yet can't place my Temple of Artemis... why is that?

Hi there! I just have a quick question about a problem that I have with building the Temple of Artemis. It seems I am running into a bug of some sorts or, I dont understand the requirements.

I own two camps at my city here yet can't place my Temple of Artemis... why is that?
Maybe you need flat land? It looks like you need flat land to place down the Temple of Artemis, although I might be wrong. It might not be a stated requirement.

Have you researched Mining? Mining lets you chop woods. Without that you cant place wonders or districts on forests.

Have you researched Mining? Mining lets you chop woods. Without that you cant place wonders or districts on forests.

I think THIS might have been it. Im not sure as I dont remember cause im a derp but this makes sense now!

Another question and it relates to the temple of artemis as well. So it says within FOUR tiles and many other things say that to. How does this four tile thing work? Is it including the tile its on so three tiles away or is it four tiles away? And what about from side to side? Is it like building the city where it goes three tiles out and grabs the ones adjacent to it?

I'm always indecisive on where to settle my cities. See example in the screenshot below.
Settling on the recommended position would give me river/housing and a new luxury resource but no hills in the first ring. Would you avoid settling here or deal with the low production?
I'm also not trying to settle too far away from my capital. (This is my second city)

I'm always indecisive on where to settle my cities. See example in the screenshot below.
Settling on the recommended position would give me river/housing and a new luxury resource but no hills in the first ring. Would you avoid settling here or deal with the low production?
I'm also not trying to settle too far away from my capital. (This is my second city)

You have a good 5 Yield Tile in your first ring, which is always good. 3 Food and 2 Production is worth less Production in my opinion. You're also next to a river with floodplains, which can flood and give extra Yields as well.

You can also settle north east of the woods tile the game recommends. This saves you the woods for a chop/lumbermill. You will also have hills in your first ring, the nice banana tile for further growth in the second ring and potentially a second copy of spices in your third ring.
Since you dont know the tiles further north its hard to tell if you are blocking another settling spot there though. This time I would not mind it beeing a tile further away from your capitol since you will likely need more space in order to have all your seowons seperated from other districts.

You know a lot about the lands to the west and the east, but not the terrain directly adjacent to your capital, behind the volcano. You might want to settle there on the *mnok River, if the nearest civilization lies behind Geneva, because of strategical reasons?

In general you can often explore along concentric outward spirals (warrior inner, scout outer) with your second, third city in mind (ie. preferring rivers, avoiding deserts & tundra etc).

You know a lot about the lands to the west and the east, but not the terrain directly adjacent to your capital, behind the volcano. You might want to settle there on the *mnok River, if the nearest civilization lies behind Geneva, because of strategical reasons?

In general you can often explore along concentric outward spirals (warrior inner, scout outer) with your second, third city in mind (ie. preferring rivers, avoiding deserts & tundra etc).

Good point, think my scouting could be improved and more purposeful. Right now I'm just following rivers.

Ended up going with Buktu's spot but got destroyed by turn 90 anyway. Thanks for the idea's nonetheless.

Does naval units receive XP when discovering a Natural Wonder?

I'm pretty sure it happened, but I didn't know they add this feature (if I'm not wrong).

Top Bottom