1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. SheckyS

SheckyS Warlord

Yeah, I hear ya. Been playing almost non-stop since Friday and I've only completed (won) one game so far. As it happens, it was with India and I won with a Religious victory. So far, the hardest thing for me to get used to is the barbarians. You can't just plant an archer in a city for defense any more. You really have to look at the terrain, the choke points, and set up defenses all around.

2. Freddy's Mouser

Freddy's Mouser Chieftain

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I've noticed that there is some kind of multiplier making the current era units I can build more expensive (x3). Is there a reason for this?

Could it be unbalanced tech and culture research?

Edit: Actually, its the previous era. I have most techs in medieval, a few culture techs in the medieval, and one tech in the renaissance. Medieval units are costing 3 times the base production.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. Banners

Banners Chieftain

What's the point of the 'Heal Outside Friendly Territory' promotion for ships if they can simply 'repair' anyway, wherever they are?

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Most ships can't repair or heal outside friendly territory without that promotion. Norway's unique ability allows their melee ships (but not ranged ships) to heal in neutral territory, but that is an exception.

5. weregamer

weregamer Gandhi of the Mongols

Could this be because adjacency bonuses for each district vary? Holy Site is +1 per relevant district, +2 per natural wonder. Most districts only get +1 per 2 (or even 3) adjacent districts. OTOH, rivers are not hexes, so being next to a river is likely just a yes or no.

6. Banners

Banners Chieftain

I don't have any saves to go back to so I could be wrong (again...!) but I'm pretty sure there was a Rest/Repair action for unpromoted naval units that pretty much did the same thing as the promotion in neutral water...? Again, probably my misunderstanding of something... :)

7. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

I would like to build Tokyo's industrial district on the circled tile, but it is not available. I also cannot swap that tile so Tokyo can work it. Why?
    Spoiler :
    district overlap.png

8. jokii

jokii Chieftain

Have anyone tested...?
    Does oracle wonder affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers, artist and musicians ?
    Does divine spark pantheon belief affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers...?

9. jokii

jokii Chieftain

> This tile belongs to GIFU city because it is one tile from it, and it can not be worked by TOKYO.

10. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

Correct. I figured this out while you were posting.

The tile is owned by Gifu and not Tokyo, but most tiles can be swapped. Swapping changes ownership and allows other cities to place districts or workers there.
    Spoiler :
    tile ownership.png

I found this tooltip which explains the exceptional circumstance here: I am trying to swap a tile adjacent to another city. These tiles cannot be swapped.
    Spoiler :
    tile restrictions.png

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Haven't tested either circumstance, but if you do test them yourself, please report back with the results.

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Unless you're Norway, ships normally can't heal outside of friendly water.

13. SheckyS

SheckyS Warlord

Is there any way to get access to strategic resources owned by City-States?
    I don't see any way, so I'm guessing not. Other than conquering them, of course.

This makes things very interesting if you lack a particular resource. You can't just get in good with a city-state any more. Have to either find it somewhere unclaimed and build a city, trade for it, or conquer someone.

14. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I may be missing something, but when I created apostle he did not had any option exempt spreading religion.

So how do I get inquisitors?

Note that my civ is religious convert, no religion was found.

15. colonist-pasted

colonist-pasted Chieftain

Is it possible to influence which tile gets expanded to next when my city's borders grow? I want to get a particular strategic resource asap. I think might have been possible in Civ V...

16. KmDubya

KmDubya King

If I conquer a holy city for a religion and eradicated the founder civ, can I further enhance that religion with an apostle?

I've created an apostle and even used missionaries to convert my capitol but not seeing the evangelize button. Is there some civic or tech that is needed?

17. The Carp

The Carp Chieftain

Couldn't find anything about it anywhere but it seems like Scouts that you receive from tribal villages don't gain experience.
    Not sure if it's a bug or it's meant to be that way.

I was given a scout very early in my current game and after about 25 turns of exploring I just noticed that it doesn't have the XP bar at the bottom of the unit panel.

Anyone else noticed that ?

EDIT: Turns out, the XP bar appeared once I gained XP from attacking a barbarian unit BUT it only had experience from that combat and no XP from the earlier scouting

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  18. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Can a fort still be used as canal? Or do I have to place a city on a narrow landbridge between two bodies of water?

19. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

What are you supposed to do with the Great People (writers, musicians, artists) that spawn more quickly than you can build places to their works?

20. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Mimar Sinan great engineer.

How does he work (+1 housing +1amenity). Doesn't seem he gets expended when using this ability.