Is anyone else experiencing the "unit available for promotion" alert popping up, and then going to the unit, only to find it really isn't "available for promotion"?

I'm talking about units that have available movement (fresh turn).

This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in my current game.

I posted about this a few pages back. This was driving me crazy, too, but I finally figured it out.

If your unit has no movement points, you can't promote it.
AND... if your unit has movement orders pending, you also can't promote it. So hit the Cancel button to cancel that units current movement orders and then you can promote it.

What is needed to make an inquisitor (in other words, why can't I Make one?)

I've formed a religion. I've made a shrine and temple. I've evangelized two beleifs. My religion is still the main religion in my capital (the holy city). I can make missionaries or apostles but the option for inquisitor is not there, nor is it in any of my cities.

You need to generate another apostle and burn him starting an inquisition (separate button on the top row of his action window). That unlocks your ability to buy inquisitors in any city with a temple (and your religion, of course).

Is anybody else finding the lack of an Alert or Sentry command for units a serious problem? What were the devs thinking here? Was this an intention design decision because if so I'd love to hear the reasoning for it... and if it wasn't intentional, how could they have just "forgotten" something so important?

This thread is for quick questions that can be answered by a single response, not a thread where you ask for choral responses from many posters. There are other threads where the Alert/Sentry issue is discussed, including this thread.

Just to be sure, is there a way to remove a district construction site, once it is layed out?

Not by a mechanism in the game. But the game is set by default to have 10 autosaves, one turn apart. So could load the previous turn's autosave if didn't intend to start that district.

Relics: Once you have one in your palace (from a goody hut/village whatever), where can you put another? I have a potential for one coming from a great general.

Relics: Once you have one in your palace (from a goody hut/village whatever), where can you put another? I have a potential for one coming from a great general.

Temples have a slot for relics.

When a trade route has run its course, is there anywhere on the route list that tells you what the previous route was (as in Civ 5)?

Did anyone figure out how you can see what the people in a city are believing? I was winning a space race, but my opponent tried to win by Religion. I could see my cities switch from my religion to 'nothing' but I couldn't really tell if I was risking to lose or not.

Ended up declaring war to him just to get rid of his religious folk.

Did anyone figure out how you can see what the people in a city are believing? I was winning a space race, but my opponent tried to win by Religion. I could see my cities switch from my religion to 'nothing' but I couldn't really tell if I was risking to lose or not.

Ended up declaring war to him just to get rid of his religious folk.
You can check the victory screen to see how close he might be. In the religious victory tab you'll see how many civs he already converted (I'm not sure but I think you can even click on it for further details...).
Furthermore concerning your own cities use the religous lense: When more than one religion is present in a city it shows a small window next to the circle which city has how many followers.

In my first game (Germany, Prince) i got denounced by russia for being a warmonger after declaring war on a city state. Now it is possible that this was just bad timing, as i conquered rome several turns earlier (and had razed one of romes cities - but it was rome who had declared a surprise war on me) but it begged the question: Is there a warmonger penalty for declaring war on city states? And if yes, can something be done to reduce it? There is no possibility to denounce a city state and declare a formal war, like it is possible with rival civs.

I haven't tried to form an army directly from three stand-alone units, but you can first form a corps and then add the third unit to the corps to form an army. Might have to wait one turn to do step 2.
This worked, thank you very much!

China captured my spy :(
I destroyed China :)
I cant get my spy back as I need to ask for trade. But they are dead so I cant.
Any way to get my spy back?

Coming from IV, so maybe a stupid question - but: what is faith/religion good for in this game?

I understand how to found a religion, and build religious buildings, and use faith to recruit apostles and missionaries to spread my religion further. But to what end? Gold can buy things, science unlocks new technologies, culture new civics. Is the religious victory just like the culture victory in IV, where you build up a huge amount of a resource that's largely useless until you win the game with it?

Also, how can another civilization get to Political Philosophy 30 turns before me despite me beelining it (on Immortal)? I know they get bonuses on that level, but that sounds incredibly hard to do. Genuinely interested in how the game works for the AI on those levels.

Coming from IV, so maybe a stupid question - but: what is faith/religion good for in this game?

I understand how to found a religion, and build religious buildings, and use faith to recruit apostles and missionaries to spread my religion further. But to what end? Gold can buy things, science unlocks new technologies, culture new civics. Is the religious victory just like the culture victory in IV, where you build up a huge amount of a resource that's largely useless until you win the game with it?

It's actually pretty complicated. There's no one single answer, because it depends on the bonuses you choose and other factors. For example, I am playing Rome right now and I just used Faith to buy a whole bunch of defensive buildings (walls). I also just bought a Granary, a Water wheel, and some other basic buildings in one of my newest cities. I'm not exactly sure WHY I am able to buy those buildings in particular. I think it has to do with my policies and possibly a City-State that I am suzerain of.

Also, how can another civilization get to Political Philosophy 30 turns before me despite me beelining it (on Immortal)? I know they get bonuses on that level, but that sounds incredibly hard to do. Genuinely interested in how the game works for the AI on those levels.

That's easy - the computer players cheat. :)
When you raise the difficulty level, the AI players don't actually play any better. They don't get smarter. They just get bonus gold and stuff. So you can't possibly keep up with them and have to find other ways to beat them.

Quick question: Given that districts kill the yields of the tiles you place them on, isn't it always optimal to place them on deserts/other less useful tiles (provided you arent losing any adjacency bonuses)? Or does placing a campus (for instance) in a desert versus a grassland make a difference (other factors remaining the same)?

You can use religion purely for the victory, but that isn't how it's done most of the time. Beliefs and pantheons give various boosts to various yields. One of the most popular, tithe, gives +1 gold per 4 followers of the religion. With a little effort that can turn into a pretty decent source of income. The bonuses you get from religions are basically of two types: one that gives you more faith, and one that helps you in other aspects of the game (culture from pastures, purchase of units with faith, faster healing, etc etc). You should try to strike a balance between the two in most cases. Else you might end up with only faith and it not benefiting the rest of your game(which would be useless unless you're trying for a religious victory) or not enough faith so you won't be able to spread your religion enough/defend it from others to make your other bonuses count.
And as an added bonus in 6, you are able to use faith to "rush buy" great people.

Thanks a lot for your answers! I need to take a closer look on some of the things that make religions give other bonuses then...

My problem is that there are so many new things (in addition to what IV already had, there's faith, tourism, civic slots, eurekas, city state quests districts etc. etc). I cannot possibly focus on all of them in one game, so I try to find out which of them I can mostly ignore and still get away with a win. Right now, I'm completely ignoring religion, but I have no idea if that will work out well.

Top Bottom