Quick question: Given that districts kill the yields of the tiles you place them on, isn't it always optimal to place them on deserts/other less useful tiles (provided you arent losing any adjacency bonuses)? Or does placing a campus (for instance) in a desert versus a grassland make a difference (other factors remaining the same)?

Putting a district on a tile results in all the base yields becoming 0. So if it had 1 food and 2 production, it now has 0 food and 0 production. Then the yields of whatever the district are are added. So if it is an industrial zone with a couple mines next to it, it could start with 4 production.

The one sort of exception is that the appeal of the underlying tile affects the number of amenities housing for a Neighborhood district. A tile's appeal is determined by what is on all the tiles around. Read the Civilopedia on "Neighborhood Districts and Appeal".

Putting districts on tiles you are unlikely to improve for farms, mines, etc. does mean deserts and tundra are better places if just considering the underlying tile yields. But normally, the adjacency bonuses or the terrain you happen to get around the city means that you won't do that.

Last edited:
Ahh thanks. Being able to see the difference visually is what I'm having trouble with. I'll check out the strategic view. Here's the situation. I get a new builder. I go to myself, did I already improve that Cotton? I mouse over and don't know if it's yields are more than base or not.

Attached is what a silk plantation looks like. You can see instead of just some scattered trees with silk on it, it is now fenced in with some buildings. The tool tip says "Plantation" which indicates it has been improved. In the early game a cotton plantation adds +1 gold to the tile so it isn't a huge change in yield.

Spoiler :
silk_plantation.PNG

Thanks Silverdawn. I'll pay more attention next time. It actually took me quite a few seconds to see 'Plantation' in that shot. I know where to look now. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I just received a notification that my promise to move my troops away from England's border has been broken.

Spoiler :

I have three military units within two hexes of their border but they are all in my territory with another hex of my territory between them and the border. Is this working correctly? It would suck if it is because I only positioned my military defensively in response to England moving all of their units toward and into my territory.

When I received her warning about my troops, two of my units were actually at her border. I moved them both another hex into my own territory.

Ahh thanks. Being able to see the difference visually is what I'm having trouble with. I'll check out the strategic view. Here's the situation. I get a new builder. I go to myself, did I already improve that Cotton? I mouse over and don't know if it's yields are more than base or not.

Yeah, we really need a lens for this. In Civ V I got used to being able to turn on the lens where you would see tile improvements.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I just received a notification that my promise to move my troops away from England's border has been broken.

Spoiler :

I have three military units within two hexes of their border but they are all in my territory with another hex of my territory between them and the border. Is this working correctly? It would suck if it is because I only positioned my military defensively in response to England moving all of their units toward and into my territory.

When I received her warning about my troops, two of my units were actually at her border. I moved them both another hex into my own territory.

This warning seems a little borked. I typically station some units within my territory right on the border for defense. But apparently, the AI players will hate me for having reasonable defenses.

Also, when you say "My troops are just passing through" it's not at all clear that this is a promise to move your troops.

Last edited by a moderator:
About Encampment, when I produce a military unit, why does it appear in the City Centre rather than in the Barrack? Then sometimes, a military unit is produced and appears in the Barrack rather than in the City Centre??

About Encampment, when I produce a military unit, why does it appear in the City Centre rather than in the Barrack? Then sometimes, a military unit is produced and appears in the Barrack rather than in the City Centre??

When you have an encampment, normally the unit appears there on creation. If you have a unit in the encampment, it would then create it I the city if it has no units. If both have units, I believe I can't recall where it gets created but it would be doubled up and you'll be forced to move one before the end of the turn.

One of my biggest complaints was the complete slow down of the game when it processed other nation's turns, did Civ VI greatly improve this or is it still an issue?

One of my biggest complaints was the complete slow down of the game when it processed other nation's turns, did Civ VI greatly improve this or is it still an issue?
Yes, no, maybe. It's totally subjective.

Can you stop the Sean Bean Civ intro when you're loading a saved game....I've heard him telling me about Saladin till I'm sick of hearing it. I found some setting which was labeled "Disable Intro" (or something like that) but it made no difference...each load, there is Sean again...aaaaaaaaaaargggh :cry:

In audio preferences, turn the voice volume all the way down.

Would love a quick answer on this. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to build an archeologist... They're not showing up to build anywhere, so what is/are the requirement/s? I'm researching nuclear fission so I'm pretty sure I'm far enough in to be making them now....

Last edited:
You can only build an archaeologist after you unlock the Natural History civic and only in a city that has an empty archaeological museum -- archaeologists are "tethered" to the museum in the city where they are created. Once created, they can dig artifacts, which are automatically teleported back to the museum. Once the museum is full, the archaeologist disappears (like a builder who has used his last charge).

Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the animated time of day time cycle?
I like the feature, but 5-10 mins for a full day is too quick. I'd rather it be more like an hour at least.
I looked in the .ini files but couldn't see anything there to adjust.

Just a quick equestion.
During my first game, my cities (4 of them) are getting attacked by missionaries from India.
It was a lot and very annoying.
Is that normal ? was Gandhi challenging for war ?

I also had a lot of problems with an annoying neighbor constantly sending 2-3 missionaries/apostles per turn to one of my cities to convert.
I ended up stopping it by:
  1. Building inquisitors and sending to the city to keep switching it back.
  2. My Apostles kept losing the 1-on-1 battles, but I created an 'army' of apostles and fared much better.
  3. Used Diplomacy - Under the discuss menu with the civ there is something like 'Stop Converting my cities' or something like it. Good news is it stopped and they left. Bad news is it only lasted 3 turns before they broke their agreement.
  4. Those things helped quite a bit, but I'm looking to stop them permanently by going to war. I believe I can use the Casus Belli to keep the warmonger penalty down.

You can only build an archaeologist after you unlock the Natural History civic and only in a city that has an empty archaeological museum -- archaeologists are "tethered" to the museum in the city where they are created. Once created, they can dig artifacts, which are automatically teleported back to the museum. Once the museum is full, the archaeologist disappears (like a builder who has used his last charge).

Cheers, Not sure if I have that civic or not, I will check it out when I'm done throwing my tantrums

I'm having problems with trading. When I set up a route I can look at a report telling me the other civ's benefits from the routes, but I always seem to have no benefits listed. What am I missing? Also, when I go to set up a trade route I see little lines on the map corresponding to my civ's color (I'm Rome so the lines are purple). I suspect this is indicating where roads might go if I send out traders. Am I right?

In terms of game mechanics, what's the difference between founder / follower beliefs?
  1. Founder beliefs only applicable to cities belonging to the civilization that founded the religion? So if my cities follow someone else's religion, I don't get the benefits of its Founder belief? Or...
  2. It's just used to separate at what time we get to pick what belief. Any city that follows a particular religion will get all the benefits from all Founder+Follower beliefs of that religion?
I only know that Pantheons stick to all my cities forever, and worship beliefs is just like a permission to build that worship building, once built it will always provide its yields.

Is there a way to prevent the other civs from declaring war? My wife and I play hot seat every night, and we've tried setting the AI to settler and King, and they still always declare or surprise war us. I understand most of you don't understand why, but it's how we enjoy the game, and the war is ruining it. It wasn't an issue in Civ 5.

There is no such setting. Probably your only option is to keep the AI at settler -- at least if they still DOW you, they won't be any threat.

Top Bottom