Hi, I am one of your fans of the Sid Meier’s Civilization VI in the UK and I have some questions about your introduction in the game which shows before starting a new game.

From the first stirrings of life beneath water... to the great beasts of the Stone Age... to man taking his first upright steps, you have come far. Now begins your greatest quest: from this early cradle of civilization on towards the stars.

It says that “to the great beasts of the Stone Age... to man taking his first upright steps”, I cannot understand your expression here as it states the Stone Age before the human walk upright. But obviously, human began to walk upright and then to use and make tools. I don’t know what the author wants to express, what the definition of “man” here is, human or homo species?
If you want to show the evolution of human civilization, it is clear that both walked upright and made tools were remarkable events. But comparing this two events, the used of tools is an event that represents the evolution of human civilization than the walk upright, which means the human used and made tools (Stone Age) should be later than the walk upright and the sentence should be put behind the walk upright. In addition, the dinosaur is more representative than the Stone Age mammoth being as the great beasts. Besides, if the sentence just states that “man taking his first steps” but not the “upright steps”, it can express the evolution of civilization and we would not feel as the evolution of life.
In all, the sentence you use in the game introduction is not scientific and precisely. As a game that tries to show the evolution of civilization in the human history, the game tries to be rigorous in every game detail, but the phrases used in the introduction seems not so precisely. As a fan of your game, I want to know what the author wants to express in this phrases and why. As a normal player, I think that it is a controversial sentence here and I hope you can give me a good reply. Thank you.

I'm having problems with trading. When I set up a route I can look at a report telling me the other civ's benefits from the routes, but I always seem to have no benefits listed. What am I missing? Also, when I go to set up a trade route I see little lines on the map corresponding to my civ's color (I'm Rome so the lines are purple). I suspect this is indicating where roads might go if I send out traders. Am I right?
When you set up a route, it will show you at the top of the screen (before you hit 'begin route') which city gets what from the route. The city that the trade route starts in always gets the bonuses.

Yes on the second question. The lines show what route the trader will take, and form a road along that route.

Can someone explain Strategic resources and units that require them to me please. Let's just take Iron. Swordsmen just require them. Does that mean 1 developed Iron will allow me to build an unlimited number of Swordsmen, only 1, or a certain number?

Thanks.

Q1: Interesting question: What do different continents offer to players? For instance, any bonuses settling a city in another continent? Or does military suffer from attritions if combat within 'foreign" continent? Any rules not documented?

Q2: Another quick question is: where in the UI can I find how long before Policies Change is available again?

Q3: And I am just wondering if this is my own problem or other folks here also hit the same. When I plan for my next city, or check the terrain for placing a wonder, I have quite serious difficulty in recognizing the tile details visually. Of course, I have mouse over it and wait for the pop-up, but the fog of war thingy unintentionally covers visually identifiable tile features. Does anyone experience the same difficulties?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I just really want to fall in love with this great game:)

Last edited:
Can someone explain Strategic resources and units that require them to me please. Let's just take Iron. Swordsmen just require them. Does that mean 1 developed Iron will allow me to build an unlimited number of Swordsmen, only 1, or a certain number?
Thanks.

-2 copies of the strategic resource is needed to build the unit that requires it
-You can build as many as you want as long as you have the 2 copies
-1 copy of the strategic resource needed to upgrade obsolete unit into a new unit that requires it
-Encampment with barracks reduces the need of 2 copies to 1 when building infantry units in that city
-Encampment with stables reduces the need of 2 copies to 1 when building cavalry units in that city
-Harbor with ship yard reduces the need of 2 copies to 1 when building naval units in that city
-Aerodome with Hangar reduces the need of 2 copies to 1 when building air units in that city (not 100% sure on this though)

Q1: Interesting question: What do different continents offer to players? For instance, any bonuses settling a city in another continent? Or does military suffer from attritions if combat within 'foreign" continent? Any rules not documented?

I know that Redcoats from England get a strength bonus from fighting on another Continent. There are no basic advantages or dis-advantages to continents.

Q2: Another quick question is: where in the UI can I find how long before Policies Change is available again?

It's how long your next Civic will take to complete. Either look at the Civics tree, or just see how long in the upper left, just below the Tech.

Q3: And I am just wondering if this is my own problem or other folks here also hit the same. When I plan for my next city, or check the terrain for placing a wonder, I have quite serious difficulty in recognizing the tile details visually. Of course, I have mouse over it and wait for the pop-up, but the fog of war thingy unintentionally covers visually identifiable tile features. Does anyone experience the same difficulties?

Yes, lots of people have reported that fog of war really covers stuff, so the solution is to explore and maybe set 'pins' for things you notice while exploring.

There is an enemy great admiral blocking a path to move my navy around; it's doing the zone of control thing. I can't seem to destroy the admiral for some reason. A bug maybe or do I need a specific unit for the job?

EDIT: a melee ship was able to kill him - is it intended ranged ships can't?

After building my first spy I can't build them anymore, how many spies can I have and how to know when I can buy another one ?

Thx

Can anyone explain quickly to me the line of sight of ranged units?

Spoiler :

The image shows my archer standing on flat land (floodplains) shooting over a hill attacking a barbarian spearman standing on a rain forest hill. I thought a higher elevation (the hill in the middle) than my unit should already block my line-of-sight?

And today's strange thought: the Hansa was a league of merchants, but in Civ VI they're industrial, not commercial.

Last edited:
Is it possible to change the location of the Saved Games folder?

How does Anarchy work?

I thought when you finished researching a civic, you could change governments and policies for free. I didn't see mention of anarchy. But anarchy is what I got when tried switching from Merchant Republic back to a Theocracy. I can't find information about Anarchy anywhere. Anyone have some to share?

How does Anarchy work?

I thought when you finished researching a civic, you could change governments and policies for free. I didn't see mention of anarchy. But anarchy is what I got when tried switching from Merchant Republic back to a Theocracy. I can't find information about Anarchy anywhere. Anyone have some to share?
If I have understood the game right, there's no anarchy. Instead, there's a gold fee to change civics and/or government, and it's free in the turn you have discovered a new civic.

How does Anarchy work?

Before the game released the developers had indicated that if you switch back to a type of government you had used before there would be some anarchy. It has nothing to do with which policies you pick.

@Silverdawn: Thanks.

I can confirm that anarchy exists. I as yet do not know how long it lasts. However, my income has dropped from over +50 to about -175. I really wish they would include more information about things in the game.

@Silverdawn: Thanks.

I can confirm that anarchy exists. I as yet do not know how long it lasts. However, my income has dropped from over +50 to about -175. I really wish they would include more information about things in the game.

In the civilopedia entry for "Governments":
You may switch your government at any time, but if you switch to a government you had adopted previously, you will incur Anarchy. Anarchy lasts for 2 turns, plus 1 turn for each time you were previously in this government. Anarchy causes you to lose all player-level yields and government bonuses.

@Silverdawn

Awesome, thanks. Don't know why I didn't check the pedia for 'Government.' I should have. I only searched for Anarchy.

Can anyone explain quickly to me the line of sight of ranged units?

Spoiler :

The image shows my archer standing on flat land (floodplains) shooting over a hill attacking a barbarian spearman standing on a rain forest hill. I thought a higher elevation (the hill in the middle) than my unit should already block my line-of-sight?

And today's strange thought: the Hansa was a league of merchants, but in Civ VI they're industrial, not commercial.
That is not a hill between your archer and its target. A hill would have 2 cogs/production, not 1.

I captured the Alhambra world wonder from a different civ. The text reads:
+1 Mllitary Policy Slot​
So is this slot granted to the civ constructing the wonder forever, thus taking over a wonder like this does not give yourself this said bonus?

That is not a hill between your archer and its target. A hill would have 2 cogs/production, not 1.

Oh my God, how could I have missed that...I must have thought it was a hill because it took all my movements. But it was the river that took my movement points away....thanks. I've been blinded by my stupidity. :(

It is 2f/1s. Its not a flat plain, its not a flat grassland. Looks like a grassy hill to me.

Maybe its because the target is on a hill too?

Only the plains hills have 2s. That is why settling on a plains hill is better than a grassy hill - the plains hill settlement allows the bonus 1s to carry over.

Anyway, damn fine spot to hold your ground.

Top Bottom