Is there any word on a demo? I'm not buying it yet.

Appears to be no demo, but you can buy the game from Steam and try it for (I believe) up to 2 hours and return it for a full refund. If that "test period" leads you to want to buy the game, you could then buy the game from a third party retailer if you can find a nice discount elsewhere.

How do you move envoys from one city-state to another? I can't figure that mechanism out...

Envoys are permanently assigned to a CS, and cannot be reassigned. So you will want to be sure about an assignment before you commit them to a particular CS. Note that you can "bank away" unassigned envoys for as long as you like. That can be particularly attractive if you're about to embark on overseas exploration and expect to meet several new CSs in a short period of time.

Do you need a certain tech so that your builders can repair pillaged or damaged stuff?? My Legions can... :confused:

Builders can repair pillaged improvements from day 1. Because Legions have a charge that enables them to build a fort, they also have the ability to repair pillaged tiles, as long as they have a charge remaining.

Is there a Notification Log? And can you automate Scouts? Cheers.

There appears to be no notification log (same as Civ V). On scouts, you can automate their search -- on the unit panel, one of the top buttons opens a subsidiary menu, where at lest two options appear -- delete unit (I don't recommend choosing that one) and automate. Presumably they put those in a subsidiary menu to avoid players inadvertently selecting those options.

Envoys are permanently assigned to a CS, and cannot be reassigned. So you will want to be sure about an assignment before you commit them to a particular CS. Note that you can "bank away" unassigned envoys for as long as you like. That can be particularly attractive if you're about to embark on overseas exploration and expect to meet several new CSs in a short period of time.
Ah, okay, thanks. I didn't know that.

How do you turn the day/night cycle off? Is that an option only when setting up a game?

You can go into game options at any time to turn on or off the day/night cycle. Pull down the main menu from the top right.

You can freely change policies on the turn when you unlock a new civic. you can change policies any other time, but it costs gold (the amount varies and is shown on the "Change Policies" screen).

The only other thing to keep in mind is that you can also change governments when you unlock a new civic, but if you return to an old government form that you had previously selected, anarchy is the price you pay.

How do I sentry/set a unit to alert? There's no button for it. Is it gone?
Was this already answered, I can't find it here?
This is driving me crazy, I already have "missed" barbarian units several times.

Yes, they do. Similarly, removing a tile improvement or terrain feature that provided an adjacency bonus (such as a mine next to an industrial zone or jungle next to a campus) will result in loss of that adjacency bonus.

Watched very few videos in the run up to release so it's the first time I'm really seeing the game up close. As such what the heck is this:

i.e. the red triangles. Is it some sort of Zone of Control indicator, or is it simply telling me those tiles are in range of the Barbs?

My trade route does not expire. Keeps hanging at 12 turns for a long time. How do i solve this?
Playing on epic speed

Watched very few videos in the run up to release so it's the first time I'm really seeing the game up close. As such what the heck is this:

i.e. the red triangles. Is it some sort of Zone of Control indicator, or is it simply telling me those tiles are in range of the Barbs?

If you enter those tiles with your scout you will be in the Zone of Control of the barbarian spearman.

I captured a city which has pillaged fishing boats. I can neither build fishing boats myself there nor repair it. I do have Sailing, the requirement for it. Any idea?

My trade route does not expire. Keeps hanging at 12 turns for a long time. How do i solve this?
Playing on epic speed

The number next to the arrow in the trade routes list is the number of tiles from the starting city to the destination city center. The tooltip for it says "Total number of turns to complete this route." which can be interpreted several ways.

The civilopedia page says trade routes last at least 20 turns on Standard speed. It also says it will not end until the trader returns to the origin city's center.

So the way I interpret that is if you have a city that is 10 tiles away, the trade will go there and back in 20 turns and the trade route will end. If the city is 6 tiles away, it will go there and back, there and back for 24 turns and then end. If it is 15 tiles away, it will go there and back taking 30 turns and then ending.

Spoiler :

trade_routes.PNG

trade_civilopedia.PNG

The turns shown are how many turns it takes to get to the destination city just one time. I have put a map pin on the map indicating when I started after I was able to restart the trade route, so I'll be able to see how long it takes this time around. My suspicion is that it goes that many CIRCUITS to the destination and back.

BTW your trading post is installed after the trade route is finished and it can be reassigned.
Turns out that it is TWO trips to the destination and back was the time spent on the above trade route.

Top Bottom