Took a city and it says "occupied city: no growth" How do I get rid of that?

When you conquer a city, it is initially "occupied" and will not grow. Assuming you want to keep the city, the only way to eliminate "occupied" status is to end the war in which you took the city on terms where you keep the city.

One solution is to eliminate your enemy civ altogether (i.e., take all of his cities) -- when you take his last city, he is eliminated from the game, just as in Civ V.

The other solution is to negotiate to keep the city in a peace treaty -- one of the items of value that you can obtain (or give up) in a peace treaty is to "cede" an occupied city to the civ that is occupying the city (or, alternatively, return an occupied city to the original civ). This is very different from Civ V, where you automatically kept cities you have already occupied during the war. So, in Civ VI, if you were at war with Pericles, and had captured (i.e., occupied) two of his cities (say, Sparta and Knossos), you could, in the peace treaty ask that he cede Sparta to you (plus give you gold, luxuries, great works, or other goodies), in exchange for your returning Knossos to him.

Is there some condition that must be met before my apostle's can initiate Theological Combat?

I have an apostle with the 'Debater' upgrade (+20 combat strength). It's the start of my turn, the apostle has not performed any action and is standing beside another Civ's Missionary (Which happens to be standing beside my city). Mousing over the missionary is showing me an overwhelming victory, but right clicking does nothing. Am I missing something obvious?

I suspect your right click efforts may not be quite hitting the tile's hit box (try right clicking the missionary's tile, not the missionary himself), because what you describe should work. The mechanics of initiating theological combat between religious units are the same as the mechanics for initiating ordinary combat between military units (except you don't need to be at war to initiate theological combat).

What are Arabia's, Russia's and Sumeria's agenda's called? (don't own the game)

Those civ's Historical Agendas are as following:

Arabia: Ayyubid Dynasty - Wants to have his Worship building in many cities, and likes a civilization with it. Dislikes civilizations following other Religions, or civilizations waging war on followers of his Religion.

Russia: Westernizer - Friendly to those civilizations that are ahead of him in Science and Culture. Dislikes backwards civilizations that are lacking in Science and Culture.

Sumer: Ally of Enkidu - Likes civilizations who are willing to form a long-term alliance. Dislikes anyone denouncing or attacking his friends and allies.

The Commercial Hub is supposed to get +2gold for each river adjacent to it.

But I have never seen it get more than the +2 bonus from rivers (e.g. +3 for +2 next to river and +1 from being next to two other districts).

Shouldn't you be able to get a +4 from being next to two rivers? Doesn't seem to work or the description of the bonus is wrong.

The reference to "each" adjacent river tile is outdated. You can only get one +2 river tile bonus. Hopefully the in-game text gets updated at some point.

I suspect your right click efforts may not be quite hitting the tile's hit box (try right clicking the missionary's tile, not the missionary himself), because what you describe should work. The mechanics of initiating theological combat between religious units are the same as the mechanics for initiating ordinary combat between military units (except you don't need to be at war to initiate theological combat).

Looks like my game is bugged. I'm able to right click another tile then drag the mouse to change where the unit moves to, and even then I can't attack England's missionaries. I tried going to war with England to see what would happen, and then my Apostle was able to move into the tile the missionary was in, and just shared the tile instead of attacking.

-Edit- Turns out those missionaries were of the religion I founded as I've been converting England's cities. Don't know why England wants to spread my religion, as we are not on friendly terms, but an icon on the unit for which religion they follow would have been helpful.

Last edited:
Hey folks, don't wanna open a thread about it (because it might be embarassing ;) ) but after sinking several hours into the game
I finally found the unit list! Eureka!
In case you're as thick as I am:
You get it when pressing on the name of the unit! :woohoo:

(It's the little things, right!?)
:whew:
Thanks! I just scanned this entire thread to get the answer to this question. Why don't we have a unit summary tab at the top?

Psrt

Partially created buildings, units, etc. have a partially filled in orange bar near them.
Partially created buildings, units, etc. have a partially filled in orange bar near them.[/QUOTE]
Maybe that tells you the partially completed buildings but when you have just completely finished building something and are choosing the next thing to build, I do not see an indicator notifying me what was just built like Civ 5 would do. Am I missing something here? Sometimes it is hard to remember what you were building once you have lots of cities.

There's no liberation for city states?
  1. China took CS.
  2. America took CS from China.
  3. America marched on my cities.
  4. I demanded CS as part of peace deal from America.
  5. CS became my city, but I see no option to liberate.
Is liberation not in the game, or is it because the city state had changed hands too many times? Or too long? It did stay in China's hands for quite a long time.

I can see how many amenities I am getting from luxury resources but is there an explanation for which specific resources are providing the benefit? When some is coming from trade it gets harder to track. Thanks.

Partially created buildings, units, etc. have a partially filled in orange bar near them.
Maybe that tells you the partially completed buildings but when you have just completely finished building something and are choosing the next thing to build, I do not see an indicator notifying me what was just built like Civ 5 would do. Am I missing something here? Sometimes it is hard to remember what you were building once you have lots of cities.[/QUOTE]
It looks like at the top of the production building screen you can what is supposed to be what was just completed. However, it looks to me like it is showing what you completed 2 orders ago rather than what you just completed.

Is there a way to grab the seed of a map you've started to regen with a different civ? I started a game as Pericles on an island with noone else on it, including city states, (aptly called Australia) and wouldn't mind trying Victoria or Harald on that map

Maybe that tells you the partially completed buildings but when you have just completely finished building something and are choosing the next thing to build, I do not see an indicator notifying me what was just built like Civ 5 would do.

Am I missing something here? Sometimes it is hard to remember what you were building once you have lots of cities.
It looks like at the top of the production building screen you can what is supposed to be what was just completed. However, it looks to me like it is showing what you completed 2 orders ago rather than what you just completed.

There has been a bug with what is shown at the top of the build list when it finishes. It was observed prior to launch and has not been fixed in the launched version. The bug report forum has a thread about it.

Last edited:
Hello, probably has been answered somewhere, but here we go...i'm in renaissance era and the roads around my area, on which trade routes go, are still classical...is it wad or am I missing something here? Shouldn't they be upgraded by now?

You have to enter Industrial Era to get the next road upgrade. Road types:

Ancient = reduces movement cost to 1

Classical = unlocked when you enter the Classical Era - reduces movement cost to 1 and creates bridges over rivers

Industrial = unlocked when you enter the Industrial Era - reduces movement cost to 0.75 and creates bridges over rivers

Modern = unlocked when you enter the Modern Era - reduces movement cost to 0.5 and creates bridges over rivers

Took a city and it says "occupied city: no growth" How do I get rid of that?

Make a peace treaty with player you took it from

My guess is that might be something they accidentally left in the game? If you look at the 'Great Works,Relics, And Artifacts' page in civilopedia it clearly states there are five types: Writing, Art, Music, Artifacts and Relics.
Maybe Writing great works used to be sculptures in earlier builds?

Sculptures are a type of art along with portrait, landscape, and religious.

Is there any way to purchase tiles like in Civ 5?

Click the city. On the bottom right there are some buttons that let you change production, assign citizens to squares, and buy land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sculptures are a type of art along with portrait, landscape, and religious.

Here is a screenshot where I moused over a bank vault slot (from a Great Merchant) which can accept seven types: Sculpture, Portrait, Landscape, Religious, Writing, Music and Relic. Sculpture is a type of work created by a Great Artist. The type is important for theming in an art museum.

Spoiler :
great_works_types.PNG

Regarding the production of things in VI, has anyone figured out a good, generalized build order of what I should be producing in the first couple of turns? Failing that, What do people recommend me to prioritize? Building things on Standard speed is painfully slow and I often have instances where I need to build units, settlers, districts, and buildings all at once but I can build so many things. The fact that Production Queues were completely removed doesn't help matters AT ALL.

Which districts don't count towards district limit? For example, I know Aqueduct doesn't count. What else?

Top Bottom