Thanks Rosty.
I think it's a missed opportunity that we can't have, for example, a cathedral, synagogue, and mosque simultaneously, as in real life,.
It's question of design and balance.
You can't have three Stock Exchanges in same city. You can't have Coal Power Plant, Oil Power Plant and Nucleat Power Plant in same city. So, it's only logical you can't have three level 3 holy buildings in same city. What's so different about Holy Site to make it more powerful than any other district?
In fact, you even can't have Food Market and Mall in same city, even though multiple Neighbourhood districts are allowed. And it's more pitiful.

Thanks Rosty.

I think it's a missed opportunity that we can't have, for example, a cathedral, synagogue, and mosque simultaneously, as in real life, if those religions have been dominant or even just present over the course of the game. Multiple such buildings could be enabled after researching the enlightenment or something along those lines. Holy Sites could be stronger too in my opinion as they sort of fall off maybe?

Also, I've reached the modern era in my 2nd GS game, and I've had 2 aid requests now.

Thanks again.
Not in the same city but in different cities you can have different different 3rd tier religious buildings, the ones purchased by faith, depending on the religion of that city. If whoever founded the religion has unlocked a Worship belief, then any city following that religion will have access to the corresponding building. But like you said, you cant have more than one type of T3 building in the Holy Site, even if the religion for that city changes later they will retain the same building with no option for another. You could potentially end up with a mosque in one city, cathedral in another, Wat in a third, etc.

Some time ago, I asked about subs or nuclear subs being able to go under the ice. Has any update allowed this yet? Even as a promotion?

@szhura The only way that readily come to mind atm is through the 'ressource' report and check every resource in there one by one... it DOES tell you how many turns are left and who provided it for you... of course if no ressources were involved in the deal, well...

I've been in a war most of the game, and an enemy great general keeps parading around my city. I keep walking on her tile, hoping to destroy her, but she keeps coming back. Is there a way to kill the great general permanently?

Also, this is my 3rd game of Gathering Storm and I picked Kongo. I've been watching Potato McWhiskey on YouTube and so I surveyed my starting area, civilization, and devised a plan.

Well, we are now in the Renaissance. All Great Prophets are taken of course, but there are only 2 of 4 religions chosen. What the heck? I wouldn't care except I'm Kongo and it's the renaissance and I don't have a single religion in any cities. I've been trying to put off building theater squares and Mbanzas, but I really need to at this point. The problem is that I don't get an apostle when I do, and my whole plan was to horde relics. I built Mont St Michael for this express purpose.

So, #1, why are there only 2 religions in a game with four great prophets, in the renaissance? and #2, is there any way that I, as a human player, can force the AI to spread their religion to my realm? The only thing I know that I can do is send trade routes. I am working on this now but it is slow going since I don't have too many trade routes yet still.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been in a war most of the game, and an enemy great general keeps parading around my city. I keep walking on her tile, hoping to destroy her, but she keeps coming back. Is there a way to kill the great general permanently?

Thanks!

No... you can't kill off great people of any kind... They are sent back to the closest enemy city center available.

I'll let other people answer the Kongo question, I've never really played them so...

So, #1, why are there only 2 religions in a game with four great prophets, in the renaissance? and #2, is there any way that I, as a human player, can force the AI to spread their religion to my realm?

It can happen that the AI recruits a great prophet but ends up never founding a religion so the GP just sits there all game. In most of my games at least a few of the AI will try to push their religion but sometimes I guess they decide that they don't care about religion. Also, what difficulty are you playing? I remember that on Prince difficulty the AI suddenly gives up on a religion game for some reason.

To "force" the AI to spread to you it's religion, I think you can conquer one of their cities that's already converted, you should conquer one with a holy site. That way you'll be able to purchase missionaries from that city and spread the religion to your other cities. I think this should work though not 100% certain.

Sometimes the game won't go as you wanted. You should always have a plan B. In this case I assume you wanted to push for a CV using Kongo but without holy sites are you even generating faith? If not, you won't be able to purchase naturalists and, more importantly, rock bands that really help push you over the finish line. It's not impossible to win without those just know that especially with a CV the longer the game goes the harder it gets and waiting for the win can be frustrating. If you find yourself in a situation where your tourism isn't reaching the levels needed to win, consider wiping out the civ with the highest culture (or 2nd highest if you're the top) to reduce the number of tourists needed. Although, that can also be problematic if it causes soured relations with everyone else since you'll lose open borders if you get denounced. Plan B though could just be a different victory condition.

Thanks everyone I'm doing much better now. My 3rd game was a runaway on emperor.

I thought I might give the game of the month a gander next. Regarding Dido, what is the advantage of moving your palace around? Won't this hurt your original capital? Is the idea you move it around to a city that's trying to finish a wonder or something?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone I'm doing much better now. My 3rd game was a runaway on emperor.

I thought I might give the game of the month a gander next. Regarding Dido, what is the advantage of moving your palace around? Won't this hurt your original capital? Is the idea you move it around to a city that's trying to finish a wonder or something?

Thanks.

I would say it's about using the cards giving bonuses to cities on another continent than your capital. Build ten cities at home continent, then build one city on another continent, move capital and then the first ten cities get the bonuses. Or Casa de Contratition(?).

Thanks.
Glad to hear you are moving along. There are some dedicated Dido players on this forum (which I'm not) so hopefully they'll chime in with some good strategies. My understanding is that her ability allows you leverage mechanics that revolve around boosts to you Capital, or more importantly boosts to cities not on the same continent as your capital in a way that reverses how those mechanics are normally intended to work. Take Colonial Taxes policy card for example, or Colonial Offices. Normally, cities not on your capital's continent come later and are less developed so these policies help them play some catch up or get more up to speed. But if you move your capital to a new continent, now suddenly your first few (usually majority) cities that are well developed get a massive boost and become OP. Also, CS first envoy abilities only benefit your capital so if you have envoys with industrial or military CS that production bonus of +2 moves with your capital.

Bear in mind that (one of) the Cothon's abilities, where it is supposed to heal naval units +100 in a single turn is bugged and does not work. They will heal normally.

This forum is an invaluable resource - thanks to each and everyone of you for answering questions.

Question dejour: My capital was hit with a big flood, which triggered the opportunity to call a special session of the world congress. I voted in favor of declaring an emergency, thinking I might actually get some assistance.

However, disaster victims don't actually get anything, do they?

So, if you are hit with a disaster, do you support a resolution, hoping to waste the AI hammers? Or, do you downvote the emergency, to deny opponents receiving victory points?

This forum is an invaluable resource - thanks to each and everyone of you for answering questions.

Question dejour: My capital was hit with a big flood, which triggered the opportunity to call a special session of the world congress. I voted in favor of declaring an emergency, thinking I might actually get some assistance.

However, disaster victims don't actually get anything, do they?

So, if you are hit with a disaster, do you support a resolution, hoping to waste the AI hammers? Or, do you downvote the emergency, to deny opponents receiving victory points?
They will shower you with gold in their attempt to win the emergency. You will be swimming, it's worth it. There are two ways to score points in a natural disaster aid competition: 1) Direct gold donations, 2) Aid projects. The projects don't actually provide anything to the subject of the emergency, only points to those who complete it. The AI will do both some projects as well as gold donations.

My flood emergency didn’t give me any gold, but I think cause only one civ even participated (barely).

Is there any way to trigger a gold generating emerrgency intentionally though, such as reactor meltdown? Or even get more DV points...

I think cause only one civ even participated (barely)
I imagine this is the reason. With no one to compete with that civ had no incentive to give you more money.

Is there any way to trigger a gold generating emerrgency intentionally though, such as reactor meltdown? Or even get more DV points...
Not for aid requests since you can't force natural disasters to happen. There are things you can do to increase the odds of getting one, for example settling near volcanoes, removing forests to increase likelihood of droughts, settling on floodplains without dams. As you suggested, not repairing your nuclear reactors is another way, but really the outcome from trying this is probably shooting yourself in the foot and over the course of the game you'll lose a lot more than you'll gain. The aid request happens by chance, not every major disaster will trigger an opportunity for an aid request. I suppose another way is to play at higher disaster levels. Personally I've come to enjoy Level 3 as my default disaster level, not for the aid requests, I just feel like climate effects are too inconsequential on level 2, and too high on lvl 4. Level 3 is the sweet spot to keep climate mechanics interesting but not frustrating for me.

But I had a similar question with regards to getting DV through military aid emergencies on another thread, is it possible to manufacture emergencies? While the answer is probably no, or at least not practically, there was this interesting suggestion from @Lily_Lancer. I've yet to give it a try:
However there may be another way to solve the problem: DOW the target yourself, trying to trigger a military aid request , once he calls for help you stop attacking him but turn to support him. It seems that a Civ can join the military aid request even if the request is aimed to defend from the invasion of himself. Not sure how this strategy works, but I guess this may be the solution.

Side note, if you want to maximize your chances of participating in events/emergencies, the right approach is actually to remain neutral with all leaders. If you are a declared friend/ally then for example you can't join Military Emergencies against them.

They will shower you with gold in their attempt to win the emergency. You will be swimming, it's worth it. There are two ways to score points in a natural disaster aid competition: 1) Direct gold donations, 2) Aid projects. The projects don't actually provide anything to the subject of the emergency, only points to those who complete it. The AI will do both some projects as well as gold donations.

I think the projects actually do provide the subject with a lot of gold. The donations show up in your GPT at the top of the screen, but I have noticed that I get additional huge injections of gold that don't add up to the amount the GPT tells me I should get.

I am quite certain that these sudden large injections are due to an aid project completing in another civ's city.

Additional question (today only I promise). I have seen references to emergencies in gathering storm due to disasters (aid requests?). I played the first game through both tech trees and never saw any, but it was only prince and disasters were set to level 2. Now though, I just started industrial and I've cranked the disasters up to level 4 (emperor). Still no aid requests though. When do they start? What triggers them? A volcano just killed a lot of people in a neighboring civilization.

The game determines whether energency can be talked about or not. If it can it offers one of the involved (one after one) option to start Special Session. Costs Diplomatic Favor, at least 15 turns inbetween on Standard.

If the game thinks the disaster was harsh enough (from code it has something to do with 2 but what that means I don't know, perhaps suverity 2) it will allow the victim to spend DF for special session.

Either it requires exceptionally bad disasters by type, not impact, or they didn't have the DF or there was another emergency voted lately (doesn't have to be aid) or they didn't wanna anyone to have the point.

Hi! Quick question about science and culture OVERFLOW:
Does overflow science and culture add up indefinitely? Or does whatever doesn't get used up in the next turn get lost?
If, for example, I just earned a great scientist giving me a whole bunch of science, should I use that on the biggest techs so I don't "waste" that science? Or is it ok to go for a series of early, cheap techs, 1 per turn for several turns?
Thanks! :)

Top Bottom