Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 29th of March

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting massive amounts of " some buildings are upsetting us" angry faces and revolutionaries. in the menu there is one revolutionary face for each smiley in the buildings erected list. i abolished slavery and cannibalism but to no avail. all cities above 6 population are unhappy. anybody got a clue what i am missing? possible bug?

could it be that a crime rate above 500 is devastating to happiness and budget? ufff...

Every few turns one of my rangers ceases to exist - I can build another. there is no battle and no message they just cease to exist.

I believe that I've been running into the same problem, but it's not just limited to ranger units. In one game it consistently continued to happen to a pair of hunters, and in my latest game it happened to a stone spearman of mine and I also observed it occurring with an AI scout. It seems to mostly be recon units, but it definitely happened to that spearman so I guess it's not just limited to them. Basically, you move your unit and then as soon as the unit becomes de-selected, they "disappear." They're still there on the tile where they ended their move, but the graphic is missing and you can no longer select them (however if you hover the mouse over it gives you their nameplate and details). Then, the next turn they're once again available but as soon as you move them they disappear again. Also, once this starts to happen they apparently take on the attributes of a civilian unit in that any enemy unit can destroy them seemingly without a battle (though when observing this happen to the AI I found that I could not even enter the tile that the disappearing unit is in).

I meant to post a save game last time this happened, but as soon as I saved and re-loaded my unit was back and ceased to "blink out" of existence. Nonetheless, next time it happens I'll send one in just in case it helps figure this out. A few other possibly relevant notes:
-As I mentioned, it seems to mostly happen with recon units but I can confirm that it did indeed happen to that spearman (and possibly a rogue as well).
-The terrain doesn't seem to matter. When I first ran into this problem with those two hunters I made a point of moving them to different terrain types and features and they blinked out regardless.
-The problem persists regardless of whether you are manually moving the unit or have it set to automove. In either case, they blink out at the end of their movement each turn.
-The only way to select one of these units seems to be to let the computer auto-cycle to them. You can't actually click on them once they've disappeared.
-As I mentioned above, reloading a save seems to temporarily fix the problem, though it inevitably pops up in another unit later in the game.

I have detected a couple of things, one is a incorrect text or missing, the other one, perhaps something wrong or a misunderstanding from my side.

In the Stone tool maker, we se different values form hammers, and I don´t really know why are differents.....:crazyeye:

Attachments

• Stone Tool Maker.jpg
    Stone Tool Maker.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Trade.jpg
    Trade.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 52
Yes, and we addressed that by inhibiting animal spawn. Can't really approach this the same way (would be confusing for users, and disastrously confusing for the AI). However, I have found an issue that is causing the sensitivity to it to be greater than it should be, so I can at least stave it off, hopefully enough that we will cease to see it in realistic situations (testing a change now)
Hopefully this will be fixed for the next version. I've just ran into this and the game is now crashing every 2-3 turns. I'm going to have to start another game because of it.

Florence Nightingale currently requires American culture. She was British, and served during the Crimean war, placing her firmly in the English culture.

I'm also a bit dubious about Sinbad being a Swahili hero, when he came from Basrah which is in modern day Iraq. He surely belongs in one of the Middle Eastern cultures, probably Arabia given his time period and literary source. Though given that he's fictional anyway, it's a bit tricky to place him I guess!

Hopefully this will be fixed for the next version. I've just ran into this and the game is now crashing every 2-3 turns. I'm going to have to start another game because of it.

It's already fixed if you use the SVN version

That problem is caused by the game not being able to write to its own INI files. It needs to be able to write there to work properly and save your options. I think you need to run Civ as administrator to fix it.

Ok I was running it as an administrator I'm the only one on this computer and if something popped up asking for civ iv permission I allowed. I'm running this on windows 8 could that be part of it to.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 34
My hunters are not becoming invisible they are ceasing to exist. I have the limits on so I can only have 5 but I have to build another one every 10 turns or so. I have them on auto hunt so I don't see them go, I just see that I can build another.

Ok I was running it as an administrator I'm the only one on this computer and if something popped up asking for civ iv permission I allowed. I'm running this on windows 8 could that be part of it to.

Those messages are because it can't write to its own folders! Maybe you should try installing Civ somewhere other than "c:\program files (x86)". I have mine installed in "c:\games".

My hunters are not becoming invisible they are ceasing to exist. I have the limits on so I can only have 5 but I have to build another one every 10 turns or so. I have them on auto hunt so I don't see them go, I just see that I can build another.

Those messages are because it can't write to its own folders! Maybe you should try installing Civ somewhere other than "c:\program files (x86)". I have mine installed in "c:\games".

Post the ai logs for a session it happens in please. They might offer a clue.

Sometimes, after loading up a game, only some of the resource icons appear when I turn on "show resources". If I exit to main menu and reload the save, the icons will sometimes come back. The only surefire way to get them back is to completely exit the game entirely and restart civ 4.

I'm on v29, but this bug has been happening to me since at least v26. The bug seems to occur randomly (maybe 20% of the time when I load a game) and is not specific to any save, but I've included one of my saves just in case. Also to note, toggling it on/off or toggling any of the other map buttons does not fix the problem.

Edit: apparently reloading civ 4 doesn't fix the bug 100% of the time. But what I did find out is that the bug only allows certain resources to have icons. The "world" attachment is from when the bug showed up in a newer save game; the same resources are affected.

Attachments

• Resource Icons - Broken.JPG
    Resource Icons - Broken.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Resource Icons - Normal.JPG
    Resource Icons - Normal.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Resource Icons.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • Resource Icons - World.JPG
    Resource Icons - World.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 36
Sometimes, after loading up a game, only some of the resource icons appear when I turn on "show resources". If I exit to main menu and reload the save, the icons will sometimes come back. The only surefire way to get them back is to completely exit the game entirely and restart civ 4.

I'm on v29, but this bug has been happening to me since at least v26. The bug seems to occur randomly (maybe 20% of the time when I load a game) and is not specific to any save, but I've included one of my saves just in case. Also to note, toggling it on/off or toggling any of the other map buttons does not fix the problem.

You can fix it by zooming all the way out to globe view and clicking the "everything" category for which resources to show. For some unknown reason, every once in a while it switches to one of the subset settings.

You can fix it by zooming all the way out to globe view and clicking the "everything" category for which resources to show. For some unknown reason, every once in a while it switches to one of the subset settings.

Oh, thanks, that was an easy fix. Still, I guess the bug lies with the game sometimes auto-selecting resource categories.

Playing with the SVN of today I found a strange combat bug.

My strength is 0,85 and the attackers strength is 0,8, although it said 72% chances for attacker to win.

The fight is taking place on a desert tile, yes I know i will lose 15% of my strength after the fight is over and my unit will die if it has less than 15% left after the battle, nevertheless the loss of my WINNING unit is counted as a WIN for the losing combatant as well. As I said, very strange chances and a double victor outcome (I don't think I got GG XP for this though). Is this correct at all?

Could it be that the 15% desert penalty is drawn away prior to the battle so the 72% chances results? And after the battle another 15% is taking away so my winning unit dies? Anyhow, maybe you guys can explain this mechanic :)

THE PIC
Spoiler :

Sry for quoting myself but as I got no reply and because I just experienced that same bug again both times I was attacked over a river (see attachments):

the combat log grants me higher strength (like my 2,70 vs his 2,60) because of the river bonus added rightfully in for me as the defender - but lower chances (like 74,2% win chance of him??!) because in the chances the river bonus is not used)

Is this bugged combat behaviour maybe related to a somehow bugged surround and destroy and also the "attack a stack and keep movement after winning even as 1 movement unit -glitch"? To me it seems, different layers of calculation are not in sync in each of these examples.

Ok one more idea about the different strength/chances ratio: what about the first strikes? both combatants were trackers and had hunting promotions at least I know I had hunter2 on my tracker which gave me 1-2 first strikes, if he had same 1-2 first strikes, it wouldnt change the chances, would it - any extra not shown bonus as he is the initial attacker?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 35
Ok one more idea about the different strength/chances ratio: what about the first strikes? both combatants were trackers and had hunting promotions at least I know I had hunter2 on my tracker which gave me 1-2 first strikes, if he had same 1-2 first strikes, it wouldnt change the chances, would it - any extra not shown bonus as he is the initial attacker?

Yes, the strengths given cannot possibly take 'First Strikes' into account. So it is quite possible to have a higher strength but be more likely to lose the combat. There are probably other similar factors - possibly a lot of them.

Of course there could well still be a bug somewhere in there - I'm just saying that's not really evidence of one...

Sry for quoting myself but as I got no reply and because I just experienced that same bug again both times I was attacked over a river (see attachments):

the combat log grants me higher strength (like my 2,70 vs his 2,60) because of the river bonus added rightfully in for me as the defender - but lower chances (like 74,2% win chance of him??!) because in the chances the river bonus is not used)

Is this bugged combat behaviour maybe related to a somehow bugged surround and destroy and also the "attack a stack and keep movement after winning even as 1 movement unit -glitch"? To me it seems, different layers of calculation are not in sync in each of these examples.

There MAY be some things amiss here. I'll have to find time to take a deeper look. However, one thing that stands out to me... @Koshling: have you done anything that would impede the recalculation of unit strengths between combat rounds? Those combat log shots make it look like units aren't weakening throughout the battle anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom