1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want out of life?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dekker, Nov 20, 2019.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Not to impress, but to compete with other women.

Lots of men have their own body image issues, too, but they don't get taken as seriously which is a damn shame.

Phrossack, Hygro and AdamCrock like this.
  2. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I don't get it , You are really amazing !

emzie likes this.
  3. emzie

then you do get it :lol:

Hygro, El_Machinae and AdamCrock like this.
  4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Oh :blush: ... Now " I'll just go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like ...."

Spoiler .... :

emzie likes this.
  5. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Agreed. To compete. By impression.
    Absolutely. I had pretty bad ones for a long time. Hell every second man thinks his dick is too small.
    I don't see that. Men just don't care that much among themselves. Which helps. And men are less reduced to the physical on the sexual market. Which okay, is a general thing which will probably fuel the inter-women competition. But it is still an inter-women thing to appeal to fashion-model ideals. Men care more about signs of vitality and fertility or characteristic female trades like empathy than model standards. But yeah maybe don't be fat. Same goes for guys.
    On the other hand, men are also more open about their physical demands. Women less so. As in everything.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Please try & pay attention to the whole paragraph (or at the very least the one sentence you quoted) so you can understand what is being said.

My quote :

"The problem (of mental health) has gotten so severe that the average life-span of a US citizen has actually gone down over the last few years IIRC, and it's not due to lack of enough prescribed pills, quite the opposite (life expectancy has gone down, it large part due to people getting hooked on prescription drugs)

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health...oids-driving-us-life-expectancy-decline-cdc#1

Opioids Driving U.S. Life Expectancy Decline: CDC. THURSDAY, Sept. 20, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Life expectancy in the United States has declined for two years in a row, fueled by increasing death rates from opioid drug overdoses, suicides and chronic liver disease, a new government report shows

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. emzie

I'm skeptical. I think men are less likely to talk about body image issues, especially with other men. They're still dealing with the same feelings of inadequacy and insecurity that women deal with, but with a lot less peer and social support. Left unaddressed, you end up with things like the incel community.

Narz, Phrossack and Hygro like this.
  8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Yeah body issues are no joke.

Especially height. My best friend who I mentioned earlier who ultimately committed suicide was obsessed w the fact that he was short. He was a good looking guy but couldn't get over it and obsessed over the fact that he thought it was his fault due to early cigarette smoking.

9. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

I really would not say the same. But it is there, alright. Hm... okay I am kinda ceding the point to you that male body issues are kinda bottled up (whereas female body issues are, in comparison, very out there). While still insisting that, in comparison, they tend to be of less importance, to some quite relevant degree.

The thing also is that with my close male friends I tend to talk about anything. Without much taboo. In good brotherhood. But I actually also seem to have a neck for talking so, enthusiastically, shamelessly and witty about the most personal stuff, that friends sooner or later start to mirror that, so I am very much used to very intimate and open male friendships. More than once people wondered how I could be so trusting to be so open to people. But that is a closed circle. Most people yearn to be entirely true and real, but don't dare it out of some fear or the other. But if you give them the security by embodying it yourself, with some charisma, they will thank you for it with their wonderful brotherly loyalty.
    However- that is my adult life. In puberty, things looked quite different. And yeah thinking back, I did feel pretty alone with my body image issues at times.
    Okay that actually just punched another hole into my POV. See my body still is far from perfect, but I am tall, and got an imposing frame, and I learned that this actually outweighs a lot of imperfections for girls, if you embody it right. Whereas with girls, it is more about that pure spotlessness in the details. I never really put my head into beanpole issues and stuff like that. But thinking about it, it makes sense that this can really hurt male confidence and self-image. Had a bit of a blind spot there in my thinking, I just realized.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Birdjaguar, Narz and El_Machinae like this.
  10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You do realise that putting clarifying points in italicised brackets means it isn't a quote anymore? Like, this isn't what you originally said anymore!

There's also zero relation between mental health problems and opioids. Opioids can be abused (and are probably one of the more well known drug types to be abused), and then have a correlation with mental health, but drug overdoses are drug overdoses. That's an addiction problem, not a mental health problem. You claimed there was a mental health problem due to an . . . overprescription of certain drugs? Ease of access to said drugs? I dunno, you didn't bother explaining. Regardless, you said the mental health issue was because of drugs.

I don't get what you're arguing. I said you were correlating mental health issues with pills (drugs, whatever you want to call them). You then condescend me, and post . . . exactly the same thing. You say the problem of mental health has gotten so severe the average life-span of a US citizen has gone down, and you explain a major factor is people getting hooked on prescription drugs. How are you not correlating mental health and pills? How is what I'm saying wrong? Please explain.

MaryKB likes this.
  11. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    At this point, I'm way way behind. I'm in the recovery stage of my decade long depression and picking up the pieces and rebuilding my life. Should have I done it sooner? Yeah, about five years ago or sooner. But I was an immature idiot for not taking the time to pull myself up by my bootstraps and seeking psychological help.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

as long as he doesn't put the "anal" in psychoanalysis...

Birdjaguar, Narz and bernie14 like this.
  13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I can't speak for him, but this is what I'm pulling out. We prescribe medications. And overall, it doesn't look like these medications are helping very much on aggregate. Everyone is willing to concede that there are individual cases where there is overwhelming benefit to a patient.

In addition to that, there are also instances where real harms were caused by prescription. Combining these two factors suggest that there are underlying problems that medications are currently insufficient as a solution.

If someone is skeptical of the current pharmacology, I get it, because it's very easy to be bitten by the current system. This is despite the fact that it benefits others. The system is chock-full of bad incentives, and is seriously underfunded.

Hygro and Narz like this.
  14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

It stands on it's own. I'm breaking it down its meaning and context since you seem to be missing it.

Take a moment and read what you just wrote... you seriously believe addiction is not a mental health problem?

Again you're saying things so outlandish I have no choice but to believe you simply want to argue for the sake of argument... :/

I think El Mac summed up my viewpoint nicely (and more elegantly and succinctly than I am generally capable of :goodjob: )

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You were doing your best. I try to have compassion for my past self, I'm horrified at some of the decisions I've made and the way I've wasted time/energy and let myself down but we learn. Standing in judgement of oneself doesn't usually help (like clinically, scientifically it really doesn't, this cute psychology researcher Kelly Mcgonical has studied it, check her out on YouTube)

16. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Re: psych meds, pharma and research. Stahl is a well respected psychopharmacologist, albeit, he does probably have contracts with every pharmaceutical (but then again, they do a lot of the research). The video is long, can get a little technical at times, but Stahl explains things in understandable terms

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

There are individual cases where these medications don't help. We cannot provide a breakdown. There is no statistical analysis of "what has helped" vs. "what hasn't helped". There is a correlation drawn by an increase in deaths and some tangentially-related causes.

Now, if Narz was willing to go into detail about the differences between opioid addictions, overdoses, the aforementioned suicides (which are listed separately in the link they provided) and the relation to mental health as per their original assumption about how mental health was trending, we'd probably have had a more meaningful conversation. As it was, I was attacked from the start in terms of motive, and they've been justifying it retroactively (see the quotes below).

Narz hasn't gone any of the heavy lifting, here. Prescriptions can cause harm. But so can misdiagnosis. Has there been an effort to dig down and identify and which end of the medical process these failures are occurring? No! That's what I'm objecting to. Narz's drawing-together of (specifically) opioid overdoses (that's the part that was bolded) to support their claim about failing US health (when other causes unrelated to prescription drugs and overdoses were also listed, even in the part that was quoted).

It's very easy to get bitten by any system. But in this case, I think that's colouring the ongoing discussion and preventing Narz from seeing other reasons to explain the current situation.

When context changes the scope of what you're writing, it's not the same thing as it was previously. What it means is you were missing the context. But nevermind, that one's a lost cause. Let's move on.

Addiction sums up a large spectrum of diagnoses, and a lot of them involve the altering of brain chemistry. We have a lot of talk in this thread about "positive thoughts" and linking things to depression and so on. The two are not the same, and I did assume you meant similarly. If by "mental health", all you mean is a vast spectrum of diagnoses that some prescription drugs can have an impact on, then fair enough.

I'd still consider your position massively exaggerated and reliant on your personal history and mistrust with the field. And the attacks on my motive you even admitted came out of other threads and posts made before this one, so don't backtrack now.

MaryKB likes this.
  18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's not just misdiagnosis. The current system is insufficient, because things are getting worse. And it's not really because we're not prescribing enough, because we're prescribing a lot.

We're either prescribing incorrectly or the current mental health mechanism is insufficient

Narz likes this.
  19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

If the society we've built isn't right for the people, then the people need to change?

emzie, El_Machinae and Birdjaguar like this.
  20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Sounds like early industrial capitalism.