What Movies Have You Watched? 17: Blowed Up Real Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Swordsman (Korean 2020 on Amazon) 9/10 Epic! The historical setting of 17th Korea fits the awesome sword action and acting perfectly. Just an all around great film if you like that sort of thing. Much less blood than Kill Bill.

The Postman - Starring Kevin Costner. I'd seen it before but wife had not, so we watched it together. I really have no idea why this movie gets such a bad rap. It's actually quite good. Larenz Tate's acting/dialogue is a bit cringey in places, but other than that, it is an enjoyable film with an interesting, albeit absurd premise. Like most post-apocalyptic films, it require a litte more than usual amount of suspension of disbelief, but after that its a really fun movie. My wife thought it was good too and was puzzled about the bad reviews the film gets.

Another new thing I experienced watching the movie... given the recent socio-political climate in the country, the Capitol insurrection in particular, the Holnest army in the film seemed much more realistic and credible as the bad guys... almost eerily prophetic. I did find myself asking why or how they would be limited to that part of the country, other than "cuz plot".

I kond of saw it once, the premise was definitely juicy but it kind of holds back. I think it could be a lot more.

I saw the first Bill and Ted, and thought it was good. I didn't know there was more than 2.
I've actually seen only the first thanks to syndication, and found nothing making it worth rewatching.

I didn't watch the Oscars, but I keep hearing that they were super duper boring. Not sure what that's about. In any case, the musician on Stephen Colbert's "A Late Show", Jon Batiste, along with Trent Reznor, won an Oscar for the movie Soul. I think this is well deserved, as the soundtrack of that film was mesmerizing. My favourite tune in the movie by far, is the theme music of "The Accountant" named "Terry" who is essentially a take on the God of Death. One of the things that is so compelling about his theme music is the undertones of both a clock ticking down, as well as something stalking you... the music really captures the inevitability of the Grim Reaper... always coming, never stopping... always counting down, until the end, then immediately on to the next one, never missing a beat. Its haunting, and moving and spooky and beautiful all at the same time.

That interview Jimmy Kimmel did of the Governator was really good BTW. I want to see this Superhero Kindergarten now.

Watched Mars Attacks! on youtube for free. Good stupid fun, though I think it would have worked better if they had cut about 10-15 minutes from it. The Las Vegas characters didn't add anything besides a silly cameo from Tom Jones and some more destruction. Also feels like they could have done more with the fembot infiltrator.

Stowaway (2021)

Pretty decent. I guess I was hoping for some 'firm' sci-fi, if not 'hard' sci-fi. Something like The Martian, Apollo 13 or Contact. It's really more of a character drama. I though it was more successful than The Midnight Sky, which was trying too hard to be profound or touching or something (I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what The Midnight Sky was aiming for). I liked the small cast and tight physical spaces. A theater troupe or drama club could adapt this as a stage play, with a little creativity. Good performances. Good set design.

Spoiler :
Once I figured out that it wasn't like the above-mentioned movies, I was bracing myself for melodrama, maybe even violence. I knew that it wasn't an Alien-esque horror movie, but I thought they were all going to turn on one another. I was tense for all the wrong reasons, and so I didn't enjoy the movie for what it was. I had the same problem with Lover's Rock last year; I was so expecting some other shoe to drop, waiting for something terrible to happen, that I didn't just sit back and enjoy the movie I was actually watching. I'm so primed for people in these dramas to be [block]heads to each other, I'm taken by surprise when they aren't. :lol: Unlike Lover's Rock, where I knew it was just me anticipating something that was never there, I can't tell, even in retrospect, that Stowaway wasn't deliberately trying to get me tensed for something to jump off. I mean, even the title suggests something more sinister than it was. When I think 'stowaway' I think of someone sneaking aboard deliberately. Michael wasn't a stowaway, in my mind. So I can't help thinking this movie was trying to manipulate my expectations a little bit. I don't know if I'm going to rewatch this, but I'd guess I might like it more if I did.

TBH, I didn't put this movie on my watch list, because for exactly these reasons.
I've now read up the story (because you made me curious), and I'm still happy that I didn't, since the actual story also wouldn't have made me happy lol.

The Postman - Starring Kevin Costner. I'd seen it before but wife had not, so we watched it together. I really have no idea why this movie gets such a bad rap. It's actually quite good. Larenz Tate's acting/dialogue is a bit cringey in places, but other than that, it is an enjoyable film with an interesting, albeit absurd premise. Like most post-apocalyptic films, it require a litte more than usual amount of suspension of disbelief, but after that its a really fun movie. My wife thought it was good too and was puzzled about the bad reviews the film gets.

Another new thing I experienced watching the movie... given the recent socio-political climate in the country, the Capitol insurrection in particular, the Holnest army in the film seemed much more realistic and credible as the bad guys... almost eerily prophetic. I did find myself asking why or how they would be limited to that part of the country, other than "cuz plot".

I love this movie, and have no idea either for the bad ratings.

Last four new movies I've seen:

The New Guy: 1/10

Pokemon Detective Pikachu: 2/10

The Darkest Hour
: 3.5/10

Kindergarten Cop
: 6.5/10

The Darkest Hour

Kindergarten Cop
Choose better movies Syn.

The Darkest Hour

Kindergarten Cop
At least you didn't waste any money on them...

Annie (2014). I enjoyed it for the most part, but the singing was extremely processed and I guess some people like that, but I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom