Which movies have you seen lately? Kinetic Icon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Dead Man Walking, possibly the saddest movie I've ever seen.

Also, would you recommend watching Gone with the Wind? It has a pretty good reputation, but I know some people who say it's boring and overrated.

Naw, it's great. One of those movies every American has to see.

Snow White and the Huntsman

Quite entertaining, and way better than I had expected.

Rocky III: A decent film, though in no way could be compared to the first two Rocky films.

Rocky IV: Really starting to go downhill, dodgy story, badly told, all the hallmarks of a bog standard film.

Rocky V: Oh dear.

Rocky Balboa: Much better! Felt more like classic Rocky - a homage to the first film in many ways. The final fight scenes were very humbling and I could almost feel a tear coming to my eye.

Link to video.
:mischief:

The Name of the Rose

Christian Slater was at times kind of annoying in his exaggerated mimic expressions, but by far not enough to ruin this good movie. The portrayal of a medieval Christian monastery is gripping in its dark and estranged tone. Sean Connery seems tailored for the role of a the enlightened and civil monk, the topics raised are interesting enough.

Just watched Dead Man Walking, possibly the saddest movie I've ever seen.

Also, would you recommend watching Gone with the Wind? It has a pretty good reputation, but I know some people who say it's boring and overrated.

Naw, it's great. One of those movies every American has to see.

:agree: I thought it was a great movie, and even took advantage of seeing it in the theatres when they brought it back out in the 80's. It was well worh the 4 hours with a 15 minute intermission.

The Name of the Rose

Christian Slater was at times kind of annoying in his exaggerated mimic expressions, but by far not enough to ruin this good movie. The portrayal of a medieval Christian monastery is gripping in its dark and estranged tone. Sean Connery seems tailored for the role of a the enlightened and civil monk, the topics raised are interesting enough.

ah, the poverty of christ.

...Also, would you recommend watching Gone with the Wind? It has a pretty good reputation, but I know some people who say it's boring and overrated.

Gone with the Wind was once considered the greatest movie of all time, but it has become extremely dated due to it's old school depictions of African Americans (especially Prissy and Pork) and it's idolization and nostolgia for the Old South. Not as bad as Birth of a Nation, but getting there.

If you're a serious movie-buff, by all means rent it and judge for yourself. But if you're just looking for a good story, avoid the movie and read the book instead. "The Book is Always Better!" - Nanna's folk wisdom.

The Machinist
The most impressive visual was the scrawny sight of Christian Bale. At first just really creepy in itself. The rest of the movie... ah well. It was good when I still didn't get what was going one, but soon enough that changed for which the movie lost a lot of momentum. In conclusion: alright.

Gone with the Wind was once considered the greatest movie of all time, but it has become extremely dated due to it's old school depictions of African Americans (especially Prissy and Pork) and it's idolization and nostolgia for the Old South. Not as bad as Birth of a Nation, but getting there.

Naw, you're thinking of Birth of a Nation which even into the 60s was considered to be the greatest movie ever made. Both Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind are absolutely still worth watching if only for their cultural value (their impact is still quite visible to American culture) and for the contributions (particularly the former) made to the way in which films are constructed.

Why the plot of Prometheus sucks....

http://redlettermedia.com/red-letter-media-talks-about-prometheus-spoilers/#more-1996

But if you can entertain yourself on technical awsomeness alone you might be able to enjoy it...

If you are making a prequel, this is exactly how to do it. They explained the Alien and where it came from, and we think marrying our cousin is bad. The movie also allows us to go off into a new direction, and I forsee after maybe 3 to 4 movies another tie-in coming back to explain the latest movies in the old series.

A few of my friends kinda sorta kidnapped me and we went to see the new Spider-Man movie. It was pretty okay - I certainly enjoyed it - but it's awfully early for a reboot. Ended up comparing everything to the Tobey Maguire movies as I was watching it.

Which fo course were made even better by the inclusion of Topher Grace ;). It's very strange, seeing Eric Forman be evil.

A few of my friends kinda sorta kidnapped me and we went to see the new Spider-Man movie. It was pretty okay - I certainly enjoyed it - but it's awfully early for a reboot. Ended up comparing everything to the Tobey Maguire movies as I was watching it.

I've heard the plot is kinda sorta exactly the same as the first Tobey Maguire movies (kinda hard to avoid I guess). Are these claims valid? Does it matter? It got a glowing recommendation from my sister (not that that necessarily means anything), and Marvel's been pretty damn solid the last few movies, so I'm probably going to end up seeing it sometime this weekend.

Naw, you're thinking of Birth of a Nation which even into the 60s was considered to be the greatest movie ever made. Both Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind are absolutely still worth watching if only for their cultural value (their impact is still quite visible to American culture) and for the contributions (particularly the former) made to the way in which films are constructed.

Largely agree. I have both films in my DVD library and to a true movie lover, they're both worth watching for the reasons you state and more. Yet for public viewing they're becoming increasingly problematic. I certainly wouldn't play them when my African-American friends are over. Both movies have insultingly negative stereotypes and the Klan triumphant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom