Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOS: Requiem For Methuselah. Kirk has particularly cringy romantic involvement.

Kirk has particularly cringy romantic involvement.

I like how you had to specify particularly to differentiate the episode from many others. ;)

Ended Hanna in Amazon prime which I liked a lot.
Ended as well money heist, I liked it, but last season has parts which are extremelly fanciful compared with previous ones

Going to start Altered Carbon. I loved the book, we will see the tv show

Finished Upload. Liked it. Will watch season 2. Probably.

Growing a little fatigued with Broadchurch, but only 1 episode left in season 1, so I'll probably bite down on my mouthpiece and finish it. Unlikely to watch season 2, though. David Tennant's D.I. Hardy is tiresome. Hugh Laurie's Dr. House was better, and earlier, and I wouldn't be watching him anymore, either, if that show were still on (I was getting tired of him, too - I thought his show went a season too long). I've no need for this character trope anymore. I've also seen this story before, years earlier, in the American remake of The Killing, with Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman, which I thought was better. All that said, it's a well-done show, just 10-15 years too late for me. I would watch a whole, separate show about Olivia Colman's D.S. Miller. Actually, I think I might watch a whole, separate show about Olivia Colman playing anybody...

Space Force sucks. It just really sucks. It is awful. It is bad.

It sucks.
Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Was thinking of giving it a try this weekend, but maybe it's a hard pass now. Anything in particular that stood out as being the most sucky/awful/bad?

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Was thinking of giving it a try this weekend, but maybe it's a hard pass now. Anything in particular that stood out as being the most sucky/awful/bad?

It's not funny, for one. But it is really ham-fisted about making connections between our world and this supposedly fictional world. They have caricatures of Pelosi and AOC in it. And I mean caricatures. They also mock Trump and his wife. It's just embarrassing. I can't believe this show got signed off on and that so many visible actors joined it.

The sad part is that the underlying story could be interesting if it were taken seriously. As-is, it's just a really immature attempt at, I don't know, political satire? Except none of it is funny or even clever. 2020 US politics but from the perspective of a 12-year-old who's discovered weed.

The more Hollywood shows you watched the more obvious it becomes just how incredibly weird these types of people think. And the stuff they "sign off on", because they're so far removed from any actual human's experience. There is a nice podcast about "this is us" where they show precisely that, how contrived all the relationships are and how surreal the hollywood view on the average joe is. I feel like that is also the reason why we routinely have massively racist/sexist ads where people think to themselves "how could this ever get signed off"? Well, it's because the people who produce that kind of stuff often live entirely in their own world. Also I had to think of the Imagine Instagram performance we discussed recently.

The most emblematic thing is Kanye and his water bottle. Here is a multimillionaire complaining about the fact that he is now "responsible" for a bottle of water (not a joke tweet either, I'm serious). It's known that celebrities or ultra rich people are sometimes eccentric, but I'm arguing that excessive fame and money will almost always end up making you eccentric, and largely oblivious to the everyday reality of normal people.

My Dudes and Dudettes... Patriot Act on NETFLIX...watch that horsehocky... its good, and funny, and good... a true spiritual successor to Bill Maher, John Oliver, or Steven Colbert's news'ish shows. Just pick an episode title that interests you and let it roll.

Space Force sucks. It just really sucks. It is awful. It is bad.

It sucks.
I respect your opinion enough to take your word for it on this particular one. I was thinking about trying it but now I'll pass. I won't even hold your incorrect Star Wars opinions against you.

Ukrainian series, Человек без сердца (lit. Man without a heart, I think it was ‘translated’ into English as ‘Heart to heart’). Four-episode miniseries/extended TV film with so many standard soap-operatic twists, but at least well executed.

I finished:
Inside the Freemasons
Limited series, 5 * 50 minutes. While informative, they could have done the same thing in half of the time, I'd say.
It seems also that Freemasons are actually pretty boring :lol:. No goats are getting slaughtered. They mainly perform rituals for the purpose of doing the rituals, and they have long dinners and donate to charity.
:sleep::sleep::sleep:
Would never join.

100 Humans
8 * 45 minutes. As mentioned earlier, this is a bit like myth busters, but with people as experiments. So they explore biases, strengths, and other things related to just humans.
This was informative and entertaining. Most of the experiments also set up well, I'd say, although some things were lacking (like not performing statistical tests, but hey, this is TV), and not sure what the preference of how you put up your toilet paper will tell us :lol:.
Would in general recommend, this was nice.

I finished the third season of Medici. This really went out of its way to make it difficult to want any of the characters to succeed. Still, production was decent. It was a bit funny how many iconic people from history it showed in their "origin stories."

Apparently the fourth and final season of 13 Reasons Why has already been released. I guess I'll watch that. I thought season one was great. Season two was only barely passable, if that. Season three was excellent, but I felt it was a suitable end. A fourth season seems unnecessary.

Anyone watched Devs?
I've only seen the first two eps, but I liked what I saw. It's very Alex Garland-y. Kind of slow to build; beautiful to look at; not really interested in making everything crystal clear to the viewer. Folks who like Denis Villeneuve's work should check out Garland's, and vice-versa. Spike Jonze and Duncan Jones have done stuff in that vein, too, with Her and Moon, respectively, although Garland and Villeneuve don't put the humor into their stuff that those other guys do. I haven't found Devs to be a binge-watch; I find the episodes more enervating than energizing, so I can only do one at a time. Gareth Edwards was kind of going in that direction, with Monsters, before he went off the big-budget rails*. Ang Lee ought to be one of these guys, too, but for some reason he hasn't had much success with science fiction. I liked Hulk more than most people did, but the Venn Diagram of the audiences for Eat, Drink, Man, Woman and The Avengers probably isn't enormous, I just happen to be in there. I haven't seen Gemini Man; maybe it's better than I've been led to believe. Tales From the Loop on Amazon and Russian Doll on Netflix might also be some things a fan of Devs should look into.

* Okay, that's not totally fair. Godzilla was very close to almost being a good movie**, and Rogue One was excellent. They definitely don't come from the vein of scifi that Garland and Villeneuve like to mine, is all I'm saying, and Monsters does. I'm curious as Hell to see what Villeneuve does with Dune, though.
** I'd like to see Garland go back and redo Godzilla where Bryan Cranston is the main character and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character gets killed, f that director's cut of Suicide Squad that some twisted subset of humanity is all worked up into a lather about.

The more Hollywood shows you watched the more obvious it becomes just how incredibly weird these types of people think. And the stuff they "sign off on", because they're so far removed from any actual human's experience. There is a nice podcast about "this is us" where they show precisely that, how contrived all the relationships are and how surreal the hollywood view on the average joe is. I feel like that is also the reason why we routinely have massively racist/sexist ads where people think to themselves "how could this ever get signed off"? Well, it's because the people who produce that kind of stuff often live entirely in their own world. Also I had to think of the Imagine Instagram performance we discussed recently.

The most emblematic thing is Kanye and his water bottle. Here is a multimillionaire complaining about the fact that he is now "responsible" for a bottle of water (not a joke tweet either, I'm serious). It's known that celebrities or ultra rich people are sometimes eccentric, but I'm arguing that excessive fame and money will almost always end up making you eccentric, and largely oblivious to the everyday reality of normal people.

Okay, I'm not a multimillionaire (or even a millionaire, or even close). But I do fly (economy class) every few months for work, and I totally get the "responsible for a bottle of water" thing.

It's not funny, for one. But it is really ham-fisted about making connections between our world and this supposedly fictional world. They have caricatures of Pelosi and AOC in it. And I mean caricatures. They also mock Trump and his wife. It's just embarrassing. I can't believe this show got signed off on and that so many visible actors joined it.

The sad part is that the underlying story could be interesting if it were taken seriously. As-is, it's just a really immature attempt at, I don't know, political satire? Except none of it is funny or even clever. 2020 US politics but from the perspective of a 12-year-old who's discovered weed.

Wife and I watched the first two episodes of Space Force last weekend. No, it doesn't work as a fictional world at all. Personally I think it does work as a comedy, maybe because I'm familiar with the military, and especially joint/interservice rivalries and related themes, and because the show reflects the vibe of that accurately, at least. But maybe because I'm okay with thinly-disguised mockery of politicians and other public figures, especially when it is vaguely evenhanded and "just poking fun" rather than vicious.

Okay, I'm not a multimillionaire (or even a millionaire, or even close). But I do fly (economy class) every few months for work, and I totally get the "responsible for a bottle of water" thing.

so you're telling me you are legitimately concerned about taking care of a bottle of water? is the responsibility too much to bear? you know, you could just give it back to the stewardess when she happens to pass by and the entire problem would solve itself? or put it into your luggage. or drink it. idgi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom