14 people dead in cinema shooting

You make guns harder to get legally, tougher restricions on who can have them, and you crock down hard on illegal gun ownership.
As I said before:

As long as criminals, especially large groups of them, have money, there will always be a place on the black market to get them from. As the saying goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

No matter how much they're cracked down on, criminals who want guns will always find a way to get them.

Yeah, if you can't find a babysitter at midnight for a movie, you stay home.
Agreed. Just wait until you find a babysitter, or better yet, for it to come out on DVD.

As I said before:

No matter how much they're cracked down on, criminals who want guns will always find a way to get them.

The people who commit these sort of killing sprees tend not to be part of criminal gangs.
So the fact that drug dealers can get guns (and they should be cracked down upon too) does not mean that the mass gun spree killer can get hold of them illegally easily, but if guns are common then picking one up legally or illegally is not really a big deal.

This is only true because we have states with varying levels of gun laws. Criminals buy in states with loose ownership laws, then bring them into more restricted states. It's not a problem in the UK's example since their laws are universal, and there are customs to check travelers going in and out of the country.

I don't know how to do that, apart from combating what makes people want to illegally obtain guns for illicit activities.

How many people have died from a gun related homicides in countries with stronger gun-control regulation? Compare that to countries such as the united states, where it is easier to obtain a gun.

I'm not arguing one way or the other here, but if anyone has a chart/graph that answers what I just asked, I think that would clear it up.

The people who commit these sort of killing sprees tend not to be part of criminal gangs.
So the fact that drug dealers can get guns (and they should be cracked down upon too) does not mean that the mass gun spree killer can get hold of them illegally easily, but if guns are common then picking one up legally or illegally is not really a big deal.
This is only true because we have states with varying levels of gun laws. Criminals buy in states with loose ownership laws, then bring them into more restricted states. It's not a problem in the UK's example since their laws are universal, and there are customs to check travelers going in and out of the country.
I would post a link to a video I just watched that sums it up pretty well, but I won't because the language would get me infracted, so I'll sum it up here (if you want to see the video, PM me): People should stop exploiting tragedy to further their agenda, whether it be left or right. For the people who want to ban guns, we need look no further than drugs. The bans on drugs, which is in an overwhelming majority of the states, has simply created a black market for them; not stopped them. It would also lead to a larger police state to enforce such a ban.

I would post a link to a video I just watched that sums it up pretty well, but I won't because the language would get me infracted, so I'll sum it up here (if you want to see the video, PM me): People should stop exploiting tragedy to further their agenda, whether it be left or right. For the people who want to ban guns, we need look no further than drugs. The bans on drugs, which is in an overwhelming majority of the states, has simply created a black market for them; not stopped them. It would also lead to a larger police state to enforce such a ban.

I don't understand why you have to call this an "agenda" as if people have nefarious reasons for bringing it up. I'm tempted to say, by all means, knock yourselves out; continue to deny that mass shooting incidents have anything to do with the pervasiveness of guns in the country - it's your country.

I think it's horrible that people have to die that way, though, and I think I would be a slightly better person if I had an opinion on this matter than if I simply didn't give a crap. Does that mean I have an agenda? Are humanitarian concerns agendas?

It's so stupid.

Well i don't see any disclaimer in the OP saying we shouldn't discuss gun politics.

But i wasn't, since it pertains directly to this topic

It may directly pertain, but it's common courtesy, or should be common courtesy to not jump directly on your partisan guns directly after a terrible massacre of this magnitude.

At least allow a couple days for mourning and relfection before attacking each other.

I can't believe that one of the victims barely escaped a prior mass shooting, only to die at this one. As if it were her tragic destiny to have this happen or something. Truth is stranger than fiction.

oh and mod hat on...
Moderator Action: No more political talk. Take it to another thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light?
Mocking us with the sight of what we might of known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?
Is this darkness in you, too?
Have you passed through this night?

Link to video.

Here's an idea, let's give not give infamy-seeking sociopaths attention.

This isn't about "gun culture" as much as it is one of those maniacs who can be found everywhere. This happened in Norway, of all places.

Jeez, stop with the political talk in this thread :rolleyes:

My theory is that the guy was schizophrenic. It's the correct age for onset, his behaviors "fits" (from what I've read at least) and his parents/acquaintances knew something was "off".

Here's an idea, let's give not give infamy-seeking sociopaths attention.

I sort of shook my head when on ABC news they had their doctor on talking about how kids repeatedly hearing about these things can give them PTSD like symptoms before promptly talking about it the ENTIRE broadcast almost and Im sure for the rest of the weekend.

Its obviously a horrible tragedy, and I hope the families find comfort, but I also hope average citizens dont let one maniac alter their lives.

Yeah I find the feeding frenzy absolutely disgusting too. Less disgusting than the mass murdering, but not a lot less.

Those who engage in these sort of acts are generally acting alone or with one other person without additional help and are often mentally unstable. Often they do not have criminal records thus allowing them to get their weapons legally. Something causes these people to "snap" yet they will generally do a amount of pre planning (i.e. he didn't suddenly decide to simply barge into the theatre with gun in hand and thats all, he booby-trapped his apartment, etc.). Note this seems to be somewhat different that workplace violence where the person does simply snap, where the person often targets a specific individual.

Catching these people before it is too late can be hard for some of the reasons listed above. They aren't invoved with illegal activity like drug dealing/usage where a search warrant wuld turn up the weapons. Since they are loners usually there are less people to "rat them out".

Can someone tell me what "US gun culture is"?

Some people are making out it is synonomous with massacaring mankind. Some how i don't think it is.

Top Bottom