Bible Great Wonder

Education...? That's short... Maybe, I give it a free temple in every town, but doesn't expire.

Mh, I'd rather do :
Give a free Church in every city on the same continent.
Church being a +1 culture building.

A free temple without end effect is just too powerful.

well, a church ( guess you mean cathedral) would be even more powerful.

ah. I get it. But, how would I do that? Therre's the 'replaces all improvements with this flag' flag, but that would screw up power plants? I was wondering about this with sacrificial alters, I was gonna have it where they do that (if you build a temple you loose the sacrificial alter) but it would screw with power plants.

Maybe people abandon God once they have Power Plants? You could probably make up something to explain this.

Nah, I don't think that would fly. Cause then someone would say oh, my temple and cathedral went away, now I have to re-build them! And it would cycle.
Becides, it's not true. Good idea, just...not true.

I have the temples go obsolete with monotheism, since this certainly did in paganism as a major belief system. The tech monotheism requires the tech (new) Dark Ages. Dark ages allows the building of churches. Cathederals now require churches, not temples.
This more or less matches history and we don't have the silliness of a pagen temple being needed to build a cathederal.
For flavors, I added a bunch of different churches and cathederals. I've made them available here (just click on the links in my sig). This way the muslims don't have to build churches and cathederals, but Masghids and Mosques. I use other buildings for the other culture groups (asian, etc).

Hm...that's a good idea. You make them obsolite by doing this, right:
Switch to wonder.
Select tech for obsolete
Switch back to improvement

right?

EDIT: But that still doesn't answer the sacrificial alter vs. temple thing.

Nate1976 said:
Hm...that's a good idea. You make them obsolite by doing this, right:
Switch to wonder.
Select tech for obsolete
Switch back to improvement

right?

EDIT: But that still doesn't answer the sacrificial alter vs. temple thing.

I don't bother with the replaces other items with this flag. I leave that for powerplants.
besides it is possible to have competeing religious factions. Having some precentage of your population find Jesus, wouldn't stop others from still following the old belief system. For this reason I have very brief periods of over lap, and then the older one is still there, but now just as a memento of days gone by. No one is going to build a new pagen movement with any force. So having the city lose the ability to build these old structures is better then having them build one type and then another and so on and on...
In the case of the sacrificial alter (Or monolith in my game) I have the abiltity to have both the temple and the monolith. But a temple requires incense, and a monolith requires nothing. The monolith and temple both go obsolete at the same time. But, I could have the alter/monolith behave the same way as the temple/church. A brief period of overlap and then the old one is just a decoration.

hmm...Ok. I think I'll add the church..but what tech should it be available at? monotheism woldn't make sense, and I don't like the idea of dark ages.

Lets make this wonder historically accurate! Firstly, it should be a small wonder, so that every civilization can build it. Second, it should ADD corruption to all cities in the civilization, and place the civilization at permanent war with all civilizations who haven't built it. Also, there should be another small wonder, the Koran(?), and the two should be mutually exclusive. The Bible also
places you at permanent war with any civ who has built the Koran, with no possibility of a cease fire. Furthermore, the Bible and the Koran should LOWER the scientific output of the entire civilization, and both should create the unit "Religious Zealot" once every five turns. Each one of these units, should have a high attack, low defence, and each unit lowers scientific output by three beakers.
Finally, the building of the Koran or the Bible should disable the Space Race victory, because everybody knows that there's nothing out there anyway. The universe WAS created just for us, after all.

Civilized Guy said:
nothing worth quoting
Why bother with the hate-speech post? If you don't like the wonder or god or what ever it was the inspired your unconstructive feedback, feelfree to keep it to yourself and just not use the wonder.

Civilized Guy said:
Lets make this wonder historically accurate! Firstly, it should be a small wonder, so that every civilization can build it. Second, it should ADD corruption to all cities in the civilization, and place the civilization at permanent war with all civilizations who haven't built it. Also, there should be another small wonder, the Koran(?), and the two should be mutually exclusive. The Bible also
places you at permanent war with any civ who has built the Koran, with no possibility of a cease fire. Furthermore, the Bible and the Koran should LOWER the scientific output of the entire civilization, and both should create the unit "Religious Zealot" once every five turns. Each one of these units, should have a high attack, low defence, and each unit lowers scientific output by three beakers.
Finally, the building of the Koran or the Bible should disable the Space Race victory, because everybody knows that there's nothing out there anyway. The universe WAS created just for us, after all.
Obviously, much of this is tongue-in-cheek, but you've got a couple of good ideas.

A Small Wonder can't lower scientific output, but a Tech Advance can, in a roundabout way. For example, one could make the Bible require a new Tech Advance (e.g., The Dark Ages), and then one could modify Libraries or Universities to make them become obsolete with the discovery of The Dark Ages. Thus, in order to receive the benefits of the Bible, one would also suffer a bit from its dark side.

I also like your idea of the Bible generating special units (Crusaders? Inquisitors?)

Bjornlo said:
I don't bother with the replaces other items with this flag. I leave that for powerplants.
besides it is possible to have competeing religious factions. Having some precentage of your population find Jesus, wouldn't stop others from still following the old belief system. For this reason I have very brief periods of over lap, and then the older one is still there, but now just as a memento of days gone by. No one is going to build a new pagen movement with any force. So having the city lose the ability to build these old structures is better then having them build one type and then another and so on and on...
In the case of the sacrificial alter (Or monolith in my game) I have the abiltity to have both the temple and the monolith. But a temple requires incense, and a monolith requires nothing. The monolith and temple both go obsolete at the same time. But, I could have the alter/monolith behave the same way as the temple/church. A brief period of overlap and then the old one is just a decoration.

I'd appreciate it if you went into further detail with this on my mod's thread Bjorn....

Just for fun..I'm going to analiyze what he said...

Civilized Guy said:
Second, it should ADD corruption to all cities in the civilization, and place the civilization at permanent war with all civilizations who haven't built it.
If you follow the bible, you wil lobserve what it says, and will "Learn war no more" (Isaiah 2:2)

Also, there should be another small wonder, the Koran(?), and the two should be mutually exclusive. The Bible also
places you at permanent war with any civ who has built the Koran, with no possibility of a cease fire.
Please explain this? I couild say the same thing about not learnngi war, but I don't een understand this part...
Furthermore, the Bible and the Koran should LOWER the scientific output of the entire civilization, and both should create the unit "Religious Zealot" once every five turns. Each one of these units, should have a high attack, low defence, and each unit lowers scientific output by three beakers.
hmm...so your saying following the bible makes people stupid?
"The fear of Jehovah is the begining of knowledge. Wisdom and discipline are what mere fools have despised." (Proverbs 1:7)
Because God is the creator of this universe, he knows all. If we follor god and study him, we will learn more than we will ever learn. We can always learn more from god.

Please, tell me your reasoning. The universe was created JUST for us? Show me proof.
If you didn't notice, God created the angels FIRST. THen the universe. Then the Earth, then the plants and animal.
WE CAME LAST.
The universe was not built just for us.

Now, I can go into a couter-flame mode and list every reason why your wrong, but I won't. This isn't a bashing thread, so it won't be. As Bjornlo said, I made this for people who want it. This isn't the off-topic forum. It's at the bottom. If you didn't notice, this is at the top. They are WAY far apart. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's as simple as that.

For everyone who actually was constructive, thank you.
Civilized one: Grow up

Ok. Firstly. Most of it WAS a joke. No offence was intended, even if I was in a foul mood at the time. Most of the post is based on what I have observed people doing, rather than what the bible TELLS them to do. After all, doesn't need to follow instructions when they're given.
I have no beef with you wonderful Christian people who actually practice what the Bible preaches. It's just that historically, so few of you have, whilst using the Bible to further the agenda of your own nation. So, to all of you offended, I apologise whole-heartedly for what I definately not one of my finer posts. No need for us to turn this into a flame-war.
On another note, if this wonder was to be made accurate to THE INTENTION of the bible, rather than to history, perhaps a small diplomatic boost, plus increased happiness to the empire?

Once more, apologise all round.

Top Bottom