Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking off the top of my head here, but...

I think my main problem with Brexit beyond it being unnecessary is the government in charge of bringing it. They've pushed it through despite the leadership changing twice over the issue (three Prime Ministers on one topic? Yeesh - take a hint), and I reckon the last election was only called to lend legitimacy to PM Johnson eventually forcing this through - after all, we can't say he is unelected now. We have a cabinet of power-hungry people utterly lacking in compassion and understanding, with little tact or subtlety between them. I feel like something like Brexit, whether a good or bad thing, requires sensible and level-headed people with understandings of economics, trade, law, social and cultural issues, amongst other topics, and I don't believe for a second that this government is capable of any of that. If our government was made up of respectable, intelligent people then okay I would be less scared about it, but there's nothing to suggest that any of these ministers and politicians involved are doing anything except trying to grab power and potentially financial gains from this.

What really sums this up, to me, is the amount of money spent on Brexit so far (with very little gain) and the recent 'crowdfunding' effort to get Big Ben available for the 31st. They were crowdfunding for £500k, a fraction of what's been spent on Brexit and certainly an amount of money that this government would be able to get their hands on.

Hey well we're getting commemorative coins, so all is well.

Because that's what's important, right?

By which you mean it's a meaningless chest-beating occasion, designed to not bring the country together, as Johnson claims?

So is anyone going to mark the moment?

I'll probably be watching the last leg on channel 4.

I might want The Last Leg, if I remember, but no I don't intend to specifically mark the moment, any more than I remember the time of death of loved ones.

I am going to watch a couple of “Yes Minister” on youtube

So is anyone going to mark the moment?

I'll probably be watching the last leg on channel 4.
There will be something on TV? Would like to find a stream around midnight, if there is any news to watch regarding the departure.

Other than that, I'll literally be having a party. Will put on a few Brexit documentaries as a warmup, but then it'll just be a regular party until shortly before midnight, I guess.

At the end of the year, I expect Boris to align the UK closely with the EU (while publicly stating something different), so I'm not too worried about the future of British individuals.

By which you mean it's a meaningless chest-beating occasion, designed to not bring the country together, as Johnson claims?

No, by which I mean it's as important. Although I'd say slightly more as it's creating coins, which are useful.

No, by which I mean it's as important. Although I'd say slightly more as it's creating coins, which are useful.
I'll add the 50p to my collection of 50p Cellibratory cions and hope the grandkids don't fight over who gets the padington bear or peter rabbit ones after I'm gone
Sadly I don't think the grandkids even understand the concept of stamps and first day covers tho they do enjoy the pretty colours
with luck the remoaners will carry out their threat to toss them in the river and take them mostly out of circulation

One of the most telling things about optics around Brexit is how apparently fine it is to use "remoaners", but how many times I've been told it's rude to assume negative things about people who voted for Brexit.

Some consistency would be nice.

One of the most telling things about optics around Brexit is how apparently fine it is to use "remoaners", but how many times I've been told it's rude to assume negative things about people who voted for Brexit.

Some consistency would be nice.
if some people were not moaning about a blinking 50p coin as tho it was the end of the world or that some people wanted a go fund me campaing to get Big Ben's bells working in time for the historic day, was only an insultive move on their part... then I would probaly not have used it
Some consistency would be nice as you so wisely pointed out

if some people were not moaning about a blinking 50p coin as tho it was the end of the world or that some people wanted a go fund me campaing to get Big Ben's bells working in time for the historic day, was only an insultive move on their part... then I would probaly not have used it
Some consistency would be nice as you so wisely pointed out

Another post stamp collector on the forum ?

Just too bad that big events in the UK are not commemorated anymore all over the Commonwealth with post stamps like with the coronation of King George VI in 1937.
I did not count them, but I must have some dozens of them from all those colonies, all the dot islands. And that is only a small part of all the ones issued.

this one (screenshot from internet):

Schermopname (378).png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom