Have you ever killed? (animals, insects etc)

Kyriakos

Creator
Well, have you?

I would suspect that potentially all males have killed insects when they were young. Personally i was very interested in ants at that time, and was always observing them, but reacted with violence if they bit me. At one time i even had, for a few days, a sadistic game i played with ants, in which they were being randomly killed, apart from the last one, which i would then return to its nest.

Also, although it is partly repressed, i think i once caused the death of a kitten, again when i was in elementary school. I was curious as to whether it was true that they land on their feet when falling from great heights. Well they do not, and this one just died.

I regret those killings, but have moved past them (by which i do not mean i have caused the death of other creatures ;) ) it is rather sad to think that a life was taken, even if it was just a lesser life.

And you? Do you recall any such act of violence?

The thread will probably be Red Diamonded..

Indeed I have. As the First Prime of Apothis I killed many of his enemies.

Spoiler :
I think watching six episodes of SG1 in a row is enough for tonight... to answer the OP I have never killed anything more than bugs although I have contributed to the death of numerous trout and possibly a bird that hit my car. I have no desire to kill anything else (other than insects/bugs).

Well, have you?

I would suspect that potentially all males have killed insects when they were young. Personally i was very interested in ants at that time, and was always observing them, but reacted with violence if they bit me. At one time i even had, for a few days, a sadistic game i played with ants, in which they were being randomly killed, apart from the last one, which i would then return to its nest.

Also, although it is partly repressed, i think i once caused the death of a kitten, again when i was in elementary school. I was curious as to whether it was true that they land on their feet when falling from great heights. Well they do not, and this one just died.

I regret those killings, but have moved past them (by which i do not mean i have caused the death of other creatures ;) ) it is rather sad to think that a life was taken, even if it was just a lesser life.

And you? Do you recall any such act of violence?

The thread will probably be Red Diamonded..

Tons of them. I used to hunt "wild" cats and dogs because they were just tooo many of them. I also killed chicken, rabbits, muttons, goats and cows for personal use (30 years ago, all meat in Tunisia was not state regulated, so people used to kill their animals themselves, well actually it was the case in France also as my collegue told me about his "porc experience")
Do I feel bad about that? not really. I did it for reasons I consider to be good and not in a sadistic way

I used to hunt as a kid but I grew out of it. Boring as hell. Biggest thing I killed was feral pig.

Last year I slaughtered three chickens for dinner because my mother-in-law (who usually does it) had hurt her hand the day before. Wasn't too bad.

I try not kill insects. Like spiders. I usually just scoop them up and take them outside. But flies get gassed.

I still kill insects, I thought everyone did except ultra religious Hindus, Jains or Buddhists.

The only non-insect I've killed is a possum by accident while driving.

I have killed various bugs, including what I believe was a queen bee.

Once I used my katana to decapitate some sort of pit viper on my back porch.

Loads of bugs, the more the better.

I killed 3 bird with my slug gun in my back yard. It kind of gave me a rush to see them die, then i felt like a jerk and hid them

I kill any kind of insect I find inside my house.
Never intentionally killed anything bigger than an insect but I accidentally got a couple rabbits and a magpie while driving.

And this opens up a question.
Once I found a small frog in my house and wasted a fair bit of time to catch it and drop it outside, with extreme care to avoid any kind of damage.

Why do we routinely kill insects, but don't kill cuter animals in the very same situation?

Countless insects, spiders, fish and a some snakes and birds (which I shot to eat). Never felt bad about any of that. I have probably killed thousands of mosquitoes in my lifetime, growing up in the Tropics and all. If I could press a button and have all of them killed I would, environmental consideration be damned. Evil, evil creatures that gave me dengue fever twice.

I have seen people slaughter pigs and oxen at small farms with rudimentary means and it sucks big time, though.

Plenty of insects, especially cockroaches and flies. Several rodents as well--somewhere in the two to three dozen range, mostly with poison or drowning them after they got caught on glue traps.

I regularly kill good moods :mischief:.

Why do we routinely kill insects, but don't kill cuter animals in the very same situation?

They are too alien to us, so they look a) somehow like an enemy, something dangerious, unknown b) just not like us or anything which we have sympathy for c) don't make noises of pain d) are not big enough to see anything disgusting.

If anything of that would be valid, you'd probably not do it.
I also regularly kill spiders, flies, etc., but e.g. couldn't kill a grass hopper, because it's too big and you'd actually see the mangeled body.

Spiders are KoS.

No insects, apart from when I was a little kid obviously, and accidentally. But even then I tried not to... I don't think I've ever killed anything other than insects and spiders. Maybe the odd wasp that refused to shoo out the window.

I've contributed to many deaths with my tax dollars. Plus the odd worm, insect and spider.

I have killed mice, rats, spiders, worms, snails, flies (I'll never make it as a Jainist)

...but never a praying mantis.

Oh yeah, and I've paid my share of taxes too.

Insects...
Slugs...
Worms...
A rat that invaded my NYC condo some years back... (with a broom!)
Many a fish...
Many a dove...
One deer

Luckily, didn't have to personally whack anyone in wartime. I don't think I would have dealt well with it after the fact.

Top Bottom