If Rapture were to happen next year, would you be ready?

Rapture would destroy me, for I care way too much about my close ones to be a decent human being to everyone else, and I support unchristian things such as gay marriage, abortion, earthly pleasures all in all.

Still, I'm an Abrahamist. Am I willingly condemning myself?

Yes. What's the point when you're evil and evil seems to be the human good?

When God judges me, I shall have him do to me whatever He wishes. I refuse to bend to His will if I decide something more beautiful or humane than His apparent word.

Or perhaps the scriptures were wrong. I will not know until death.

timtofly said:
It is not an exclusive club of elite believers. It is the left overs after secular humanism has become the way of life. Secular humanism including any religion that has come from the mind of secular humans, even if it has a religious title. It is not that the believers are excluding any one, it is the simple fact that most people decided they do not need to join.
I really don't understand what you mean by this part. For example:
"...any religion that has come from the mind of secular humans"(??) isn't this a perfect contradiction in terms?

How are we to make sense of this?

Protestant religions, I think, since for the most part their ministers don't claim any divine authority. So it's really just Mormons and Catholics that are being picked up by the Rapture, which is kind of hilarious since Mormons don't believe in it to begin with.

I'll never understand the need to have secular concepts described as religious by people who seem to have elevated the concept of religion above secular concepts in terms of morality and ethical standards.

(Not saying Tim was doing this, but it reminded me of it. It's an aside. Never mind me.)

1. Have you repented of your sins?
2. Do you have an active prayer life?
3. Do you warn those close to you who are sinning?

1.Yes ! ....
2.Yes ! .....
actually .... 3.No ! People wage war all around me ! How can I cope with that ?!

Hmm. The problem is here 5% of people who rationalize the belief and from an educated standpoint, have an opinion as to its effects, and the other 95% are just christian haters making jokes.

Maybe I'll start calling them christophobes.

Fair enough. Now, I don't think the CHRISTophobe is perfectly appropriate. Jehovophobes might be more fitting. It's not so much the guy that preached the Golden Rule that people have a problem with, it's the Biblical god that's easy to dislike. Christians, too, only really get into 'trouble' when they stray from the Gospels.

Greg ? ..... Forget it John! ;) ! .... A little spoil on how my life looks ;)

<darn it! my Bud Light runned out!> Bshup I know that You are not my dad..... but I love You man !

Probably only a few thousand people are qualified to be raptured and they're all old folk. So not much to get ready for since not much'll change.
You don't think "old folk" can be mean-minded, nasty people? I was raised by my grandparents and much of the time when we had company, they were other elderly friends of theirs. Some of them were very nice, but others were some of the most aggravating, close-minded people...

I'm ready! Got my tickets a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty much packed.

You don't need pants in heaven, right? Cause that's what I heard so I'm not packing any
Better make sure you grab the right suitcase for your next holiday, then. We wouldn't want to read that you'd been arrested for having no pants in some part of the world where they take that sort of thing really seriously.

Fair enough. Now, I don't think the CHRISTophobe is perfectly appropriate. Jehovophobes might be more fitting. It's not so much the guy that preached the Golden Rule that people have a problem with, it's the Biblical god that's easy to dislike. Christians, too, only really get into 'trouble' when they stray from the Gospels.
Yep. The Golden Rule is appropriate for everyone, because it just makes so much sense. I remember sitting with my atheist grandfather one day when I was about 6 or so, and he explained it to me. He said that if everyone followed it, the world would be a far better place.

Protestant religions, I think, since for the most part their ministers don't claim any divine authority. So it's really just Mormons and Catholics that are being picked up by the Rapture, which is kind of hilarious since Mormons don't believe in it to begin with.

Catholics do not believe in the rapture, so I guess that leaves nobody.

I'll never understand the need to have secular concepts described as religious by people who seem to have elevated the concept of religion above secular concepts in terms of morality and ethical standards.

(Not saying Tim was doing this, but it reminded me of it. It's an aside. Never mind me.)

This:

The secular thought is we do not need an outside force telling us how to live which is true. Another German also said that, his name was Luther, except he questioned the dogmas of the catholic church...

I really don't understand what you mean by this part. For example:
"...any religion that has come from the mind of secular humans"(??) isn't this a perfect contradiction in terms?

How are we to make sense of this?

So what is the disconnect in reasoning? A secular humanist claims there is no need for God, we are good on our own. Religion takes away the need for God, and introduces the human part as being what is necessary to gain one's "salvation". The connecting point that both rely on the secular human aspect of being good in and of oneself. That one does not think God exist, and the other one thinks that God needs them to be good is not the point. If a human thinks that he is fine on his own without God, then that is pure secular humanism.

I have nothing against secular humanism, although they think that I am strange because I have an invisible friend. But if God says that he did it and he can take care of it and there is nothing we can do about it, and a group of people come along and tell me I have to work my way to this God, or another group says I have to live multiple times and hope I get it right, it seems to me they are no different than a secular humanist who claims there is no God to begin with. The more I read about the history of the religion called Christianity, the less I see God and the more I see human philosophy. I am not even knocking philosophy. I have a mind and I enjoy critical thinking and expressing my thoughts just like any other human on this planet.

Catholics do not believe in the rapture, so I guess that leaves nobody.

Woops, my mistake! I was under the impression that the rapture was a Catholic thing to begin with for some reason. Though this does create a rather amusing image of a mass of confused Catholics and Mormons standing around in heaven gawking at the "congratulations, you've been rapture'd" sign above their heads.

Rapture? Why be concerned about it? We're all going to die and then we'll see how forgiving God is. I think he's very forgiving, much more than any of us are. I don't buy into the bible in its entirety. I think people did there best but everyone has certain bias to their interpretations of events.

Imagine talking to a being that set the cosmological constant, that set the universe in motion. Imagine seeing people you've loved and who then passed on, the words you would speak to them if you had the chance. Imagine being finished with this world and moving on to a peaceful place. I wonder if I can go fishing there. I wonder what the accumulated knowledge of eternity looks like. Books? I doubt it. A direct download? Into what, how will we retain knowledge? I believe it may be that not all of each human is here, that part of us is already there but we aren't aware of the connection. As we get older we're less here, and lose some of our abilities in this world, but gain some stuff too. When we're finally there, all in, our consciousness has tools which were lost, we are complete. Of course that's all guesswork, but I'll find out someday, as will we all.

You may not find out. If oblivion awaits us (and why shouldn't it?), you'll know nothing about it.

I was given a great peace in my life, a greater love than can be described. Very few people have ever allowed themselves to believe me, I usually get a weird look and then the person moves on. This happened enough times that I thought this phenomenal event in my life was just for me, but now three people in the last decades have had a very positive reaction so...

I don't think oblivion exists. ;)

Top Bottom