New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I'm planning to moderate a NES, but first I want to know what the community is looking for. I'm more inclined to moderate an NES about medieval intrigue (like ASoIaF), but I'm also willing to work with medieval fantasy (like LoTR). What do you guys think?

I would love to see a long lasting ASoIaF-style NES. Especially if the players were put underneath some large but loose nation, like the Holy Roman Empire. As a warning, they do require a lot of work to keep track of all the minor details that are bound to rise up.

On a semi-related note, I was kinda hoping to start a Fantasy Fresh-Start soonish as my second modding attempt. While I'm still hacking out the rules, the terrain map is mostly done. Any critique (besides cleaning up the coastlines, which I'm currently working on) is welcome:
Spoiler :

Dark Green: Jungle
Medium Green: Forest
Light Green: Grasslands
Orange: Plains/Steppe
Light Brown: Desert
White: Tundra

Is it better to give players a blank map and let them fill them with their own Houses and subservient Houses, or is it better to let the Mod do so, leaving the players the possibility to choose the House that most interests them?

In the first case, players have more freedom to create a fully customized House, freeing the Mod of the exhaustive work of having to develop himself all the Houses of the kingdom.

In the second case, if the mod create all the Houses, he can better balance the strength of these, and can also integrate them into a larger story. Thus, when the NES start, players will already be in the midst of a plot, making the start even more interesting, and retaining players' attention for longer.

Obviously there will be no restrictions for players, pushing them to a pre-determined path. For example, if the beginning of the NES is after the death of a great king, who is succeeded by a weak king, there are many paths to take: Take down the current King and replace him? Overthrow him and become independent? Or stay at his side, preserving the unity of the kingdom?

Personally, I would opt for pre set the Houses, but I would not put any of them above the other-imagine as if the kingdom were divided only between counts. (CK2 start wihtout any Dukes) Due to the crisis in the kingdom, it would be justifiable. It would be up to the players submit their neighbors under the banner of the king (or not), becoming the Dukes (or Lords).

This is only a suggestion.

Is it better to give players a blank map and let them fill them with their own Houses and subservient Houses, or is it better to let the Mod do so, leaving the players the possibility to choose the House that most interests them?

Maybe somewhere in the middle - draw the outlines of the demesnes within the kingdom and each player pick one and create houses in those (and make the unselected ones NPCs or something). It gives the players creative freedom and you enough control over the technical aspects of the game start to make it manageable.

Heroes of Ardania NES v2.0
Map:
Spoiler :

NOTE: if image appears in low quality, go to http://postimg.org/image/wjqn4jruv/full/
NOTE 2: I ain't giving up on the Lucida Blackletter font

To join, pick two heroes. Pick a race for each, then pick a class for each. For info on classes, refer to the Classes info doc (will come later).
Please specify if you want your heroes grouped in one city or spread in their normal starting cities.
Please refer to the Locations doc for info on what options you have (will come later).
Please follow the map closely, and read the General Gameplay doc (will come alter) before starting to play.
Players will be presented with options upon walking into a city: Possible quests to undertake, and possibility to sell extra items, improve etc. Please use RP to declare what you want to do next.
===================
Races:
Valmorgan (Human) , Tholarian (Human), Azurian (Elf) , Etherwalker (Elf), Mordin (Dwarf) , Grovan (Dwarf), Thallissian (Gnome), Shovran (Gnome) , Rhodenian (Ratman) , Garutan (Ratman) , Grisnot (Goblin) , Argothan (Goblin),
===================
Racial bonuses
Spoiler :
Valmorgan - Higher starting Parry, Higher starting Strength.
Tholarian - Higher starting Dodge, Higher starting Intelligence
Azurian - Higher starting Ranged stat, Higher starting Artifice
Etherwalker - Higher starting Willpower, Higher starting Speed
Mordin - Higher starting H2H, Higher starting Strength
Grovan - Higher starting Magic Resistance, Higher starting Intelligence
Thallissian - Higher starting Dodge, Higher starting Parry. Receives Gnomish Upgrade on level 8
Shovran - Higher starting Luck. Receives Gnomish Upgrade on level 8
Rhodenian - Higher Intelligence Willpower
Garutan - Higher Strength and Vitality
Grisnot - Higher Willpower and Intelligence
Argothan - Higher Strength and Artifice

Mordins and Grovans are allowed a new class, Dragonhunter,(T2) which uses the unique Blunderbuss weapon but otherwise functions as the Ranger.
Rhodenians, Garutans, Grisnots and Argothans are monster races, thus not allowed to be Barbarians, Berserkers or Brutes. Instead, they get the Shaman (T1), Summoner (T2) and Warlord (T3) classes .
Grisnots and Argothans are also not allowed to be Engineers, but get the Overlord (T3) class
====================
Classes
Tier 1)Warrior- Ranger-Rogue-Wizard-Monk-Healer-Priest-Cultist-Barbarian-Solarus-Adept - Craftsman
!!! Only Tier 1 matters now. Ignore the other Tiers for now!!!
You’ll get to control 2 heroes from each tier permanently in a few turns, except Tier 4.

Spoiler :

Tier 2)Commander-Hunter-Thief-Sage-Cleric-Paladin-Necromancer-Beastmaster-Berserker-Fire Knight-Windwalker- Technician
Tier 3)Champion - Warden - Assassin - Archmage - Bishop - Crusader - Lich - Warrior of Discord - Brute - Sun Priest - Nightwalker - Engineer
Tier 4) Royal Guard, Royal Archer, Spy, Royal Grand Magus, Daurossian Knight, Agrelan Elder, Kryptan Sorceror, Chaos Warlock, Savage Nomad, Celestial, Stormbringer, Demigod, Royal Dragonhunter,

Starting cities: Valmorgen, Tholaria, Gillion, West Cheswick, D’tar Mordin, Grov-Urtat, New Thallis, Shovrah-Dath’en, Gra-Gaun, Argoth’s Camp, Undercity , Garuta

===========
TO BE CONTINUED

By the way, a few weeks ago, I solicited some help for this, which aims to be a fairly complete one-page guide to NESing. The idea being that the "NESing Guide" which everyone links to is a horrible mess, and far, far too long.

"Generally speaking everyone will be happy to help and to give advice."

your overabundance of faith disturbs me

Does anybody have a copy of the standard world map with 2013 borders on their computers? The map thread seems to have it gone down, and that stuff was on my old computer so I don't have it anymore.

If you could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

@Grandkhan: This is the 2008 map that I grabbed from the map thread a while back, is it what you're looking for?

Spoiler :

That reminds me, I actually pulled old map data off a dying hard drive a few months ago, so I have the source files in .psd for that terrible old map and its way better replacement, since some people expressed vague token interest in that. At least the latter would need Photoshop CS4 to really use properly due to how the layers are filtered; GIMP 2 can open them and could maybe but they don't look quite right, and resetting them to closely match would require installing Photoshop, which is more effort than I care to dedicate in the nearish future.

But I could totally throw those on to MediaFire if people care enough.

Top Bottom