1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Lots of potential recipient are coastal so they don't need a harbor I believe. Anyway I found this trade route from an inland city with a harbor confusing.

2. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

It seems like Privateer cannot raid cliff tiles, but Norway's unique ability will allow naval melee units to raid them. Can anyone confirm this? Is it (that Norway's naval melee can) intended or a bug? My money is on the latter.

3. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Warlord

I don't understand what you're saying here. There was 3. You both won one and she couldn't win the 3rd, so I assume a 3rd party won that? So how did you prevent her from winning anything (other than your win, which put you at 20, prevented her from winning both to put her at 22 and leave you at 18...which is obvious). Just a confusing statement.

But anyway, no, she would NOT have won if she got to 22. You are somewhat right that "the human player wins in a tie"....what actually happens, is the human player always goes first in a single-player game. At the start of your turn, the game checks if you won any victory type for any reason. Since you had 20 DV points, you won. It doesn't matter how many points Cleo had; at the start of her last turn she had 18, and that's all that matters. So in the game's eyes, she never had more.

Also, kudos to playing DV with Kupe! :) That's what I do too, mainly because all that free culture he gets early makes him build the Statue of Liberty quicker than anyone else. (It's also easier to meet all civs, being able to traverse ocean tiles from turn 1.)

4. Bojmir

Bojmir Chieftain

2 Newbie Questions:

1. With how important certain early wonders are such as Pyramids and often Petra, why is Monument to the Gods not considered a superior Pantheon? You get the +% policy card early to couple with it and if you go Autocracy for whatever reason, the production bonus is huge. Even though I don't often go Autocracy, I find myself almost always going Monument and the Policy Card unless I'm doing Domination. Can someone explain to me why this isn't the common dominant strategy?

2. Bonus resources, I can't tell if there's something I'm missing here. As far as I can tell, a bonus resource just means that I can do a unique improvement to that tile and there is either an extra food or production on that tile from the start. The resource doesn't "exist" like a strategic or luxury resource correct? I get confused when people say things like "harvest a bonus resource" or "if you settle on a bonus resource you automatically get the resource". This just means that the extra production or food that was on that tile is maintained as a city center or added to the harvest yield # correct? You don't "get" the resource anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

5. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Warlord

1. Most of the people who are going to talk strategy and care about stuff like that are people who play on Deity, and it's not very easy to get most wonders when you play Deity. When you do go for a wonder, you sacrifice a LOT to get it...and often fail. That's probably the main reason people don't think Monument to the Gods is very good. But for another reason, there's just so many better pantheons to use that there is no reason to get this. Religious Settlements and Fertility Rites are just amazing and should always be your first priority but even other pantheons like take City Patron Goddess for example, are way better. City Patron Goddess doesn't just help you in the early game, but helps you all game and is better and better the more cities you have and more districts you build. Divine Spark helps you get a religion which can otherwise be hard if not impossible depending on circumstances. And even something like Lady of the Reeds and Marshes could just straight up be better (and there's other similar ones).

2. You are correct that bonus resources give extra yields and can have a unique improvement for even more. Harvesting a resource removes the resource from that tile, but gives the city an immediate flat boost. For example, harvesting wheat means that tile gives less food the rest of the game but you get a lot of food at once. It's not a practice I do too often, but that's what it means. As for settling on a bonus resource, you're right; you get the bonus from that tile (but you can't improve it). It's not an actual resource you have somewhere, like bonus or luxury resources are.

6. Bojmir

Bojmir Chieftain

I guess it may be a Deity thing as I'm not near the level to be ready for that difficulty. I would imagine the combo of MttG and the Policy card would at best put you equal if not still slightly behind the AI due to the Deity buffs the AI gets. In my lower difficulties though, wouldn't MttG technically overpower say Fertility Rights? You would secure Pyramids which would secure the builder and buff future builders taking away mid and late game Builder turns.

As a subsequent question, I always hear people talk about giving Magnus the growth promotion early but I've been giving him the no decrease to population promotion before I pump out my 3rd or 4th settler (depending on how critical a 3rd city area is). What is the value in giving him the growth promotion instead? The loss in population is a large hindrance to your capital growth no? Thanks again.

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

As a general proposition, competing (at any difficulty level) with the AI for early (and even many mid-game) wonders is sub-optimal. Focusing on founding cities, building armies, defending what you have and taking what you want are, in general, strictly dominant over any strategy that relies on building wonders. If you want the long-term Pyramids buff, it's usually cheaper (and higher likelihood of success) to just conquer the city in which the AI built the Pyramids.

8. Linklite

Linklite Prince

What are the factors.for.diplomatic favour? I know being suzerain of a CS is one of them, whether you've captured a capital, as well as being in an alliance of varying levels, but mine seems to swing wildly at times, despite no discernible actions being performed by me in the mean time to explain it.

9. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

• Carbon emission penalty, holding foreign capital penalty, extra grievances penalty. That's about it for the penalties.
    • If you build one of the Tier 2 Gov Plaza building (Foreign Ministry) you get +3 per turn.
    • If build one of the Tier 3 Holy Site building (Pagoda?) you get extra.
    • Finally if you play as America or Canada you get extra (for America 1 per wildcard slot in your gov., for Canada 1 per 100 tourism you generate).

Linklite likes this.
  10. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Thanks, that's useful. There has to be something else, though? I'm playing a game, and it is varying wildly. I had +12, then it went down to +8, then -4, +2, -2, and +8.
    1. Carbon emissions aren't a factor yet. I'd invaded a capital city (a couple, actually), but all prior to these turns. Grievances hadn't been earned, but obviously they were decaying during this period.
    2. T2 GP building wasn't completed during this period.
    3. No HSs, so no T3s.
    4. I didn't realise that re America, but I'm playing Suleiman/Ottomans.
    That list has helped, but I don't see why it was constantly changing and to the degree that it was?

11. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Just hover the mouse over the diplomatic favor to see a breakdown.

12. bananaism

bananaism Chieftain

I've been playing multiplayer with a friend and for some reason I can't declare friendship with them, nor can I send a delegation. I'm not sure why this is happening, I've tried reinstalling but the issue persists. Im not sure if its a bug or if were just doing something wrong.
    Sometimes neither the Friendship nor Delegation button is there (and we aren't friends). Then it will reappear, but every time I click one, the page refreshes and the other button appears. No matter which button was clicked last, nothing happens.
    Honestly it feels like a bad interface, even when it did work (in other games) you'd have to wait until the next turn to see if it happened - I feel like using the same interface as a the deals with friendship as an option (just like alliances) would make more sense.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or how to make this janky interface work?

13. Linklite

Linklite Prince

If you are on the same team, you can't declare friendships, only fork alliances. You have to wait for the next turn to formalize the friendship declaration and conclude alliances becaus they have to respond, and I guess the developers felt that it was less clanky to have it as part of the organic turn process rather than have you temporarily hand the control over to your friend just so they can accept it, then return it back to you. It does interfere with gameplay somewhat, though.

Honestly though, it sounds like a bug. Possibly introduced by the update from yesterday?

14. bananaism

bananaism Chieftain

Thanks for the response. We're not on the same team, and its been a persistent issue whenever we play together (for the past ~2 months), so it wasnt introduced by the recent update.
    I havent encountered this issue when playing with other friends. We're playing in the same house under the same network though (through an "Internet" multiplayer game), and I'm the host, I'm not sure if that changes things or contributes to this potential bug.
    Even when I wait until next turn to see if I can respond or if the friendship was created, nothing happens, and no delegation is ever sent.

15. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Is there any recent change (or bug) that allows privateers or viking longships to do coastal raid over cliffs? I clearly remember that my privateer cannot at one point. And the fandom page on Civ VI also says this. But in recent games I found my privateer can, and in a PvP games my cliff tiles are raided by Norway. So I'm confused.

16. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Rockbands - should I play them only in the highest culture country, even if htey're half of a world away, or do they do something for my culture victory even if I play them in my 4 city neighbour where my culture is already dominant?

17. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

If victory is imminent then play them anywhere (as long as the country is not having 0 domestic tourists). But if you are preparing for a longer game then do it in the country with most domestic tourist (not necessarily the one with highest culture) helps, since you convert their domestic one into your foreign tourists and thus reduce the threshold of victory.

Settle a city near that opponent can help too.

suedenim likes this.
  18. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Are there any mods that rearrange the tech tree? In my current game I just researched musketmen and then the very next tech seemed to unlock pike and shot; I was still technically in the classical era! Better yet, is there a list of general 'must have' recommended mods, both gameplay and UI? I'm currently using some such as Real Strategy, Steel and Thunder unit additions and extra resources mods.

19. Skulbow

Skulbow The Lonely Cyclist

I can never get this achievement to pop up and I have probably done it in three games now. Today I made sure I got the Pyramids up first and then built the Sphinx BUT nothing achieved. It is no big deal but I set up the game today specifically to try for this achievement.
    If you have this achievement do you remember exactly how it worked out? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry I just reread the achievement and it is stating both have to be on floodplains and I always tend to build the Pyramids on desert!!!

Naeshar and Noble Zarkon like this.
  20. Buktu

Buktu Warlord