1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

@agonistes - Condeming Heretic (the killing by militaristic unit) cause their religion to drop.

Religious Warfare causes the the losing religion's influence to be replaced by the winning.

So if you condemn the Heretic, Islam falls

If you kill the Missionary with an Apostle/Inqusitor, Islam falls, but the Apostle/Inquistor's religion raises.

2. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Nm figured it out. My RR guys were already corps...both of them. WOW am I dumb lol. Need more coffee.

3. Duuk

Duuk 30 Year Noob

Is there a way to "Cancel All Orders" for a unit type (like alt-clicking in Civ4)?

Once I get ocean-going navies I normally toss a handful of ships on to autoexplore, but once they get most of the map, is there a way for me to find one, cancel all, so I can bring them home?

4. Jaybe

Jaybe Chieftain Supporter

No, there is not.

5. really

really Chieftain

I have played CIV II, III, IV and V but didn't buy VI so far due to lack of free time.

If I buy CIV VI now should I bother learning how to play now or should I wait for this expansion to be released to start?

I still won't have much spare time either way.

6. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Question...it is turn 300 playing as America on Earth map. Declared surprise war on Seoul city state so I could capture their builder (probably not worth it but I’ve never been at war..wanted to try it)

I’m wondering a few things, since most everyone denounced me for doing it:

1) if I offer the denouncing civs gold per turn for free, will they like me again? How much?

2) where/how do I make peace with Seoul? When I declared war on them, they disappeared off my city state envoys list! I mean, I get that I don’t get envoys to them anymore because of war, but I don’t even see how to select them to offer peace.

3) it said warmonger penalty would be egregious, yet all my cities are still happy—all 9 of them. When/how do warmonger penalties present themselves in-game?

7. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

1. You can get up to +10 diplomacy modifier by gifting them stuff or doing favourable trades in general. You can give a little bit first and then give more if you're not at +10 yet. Additionally, warmonger penalties degrade over time, so if you just wait people will start to like you again.

2. You should still be able to see Seoul (though envoys are gone), but if not, you can click on their city bar to talk to them. 10 turns after declaring war you can make peace again.

3. Warmonger penalties are the diplomatic penalties you get with other civilizations; that is why everyone denounced you for it. Unhappiness (aka war weariness) in your cities can also be caused by war, but it is more directly related to how much you are fighting. It typically isn't much of a problem except if you were already low on happiness, but it does tend to stack up in cities you conquered previously, which can give you problems if you do not have enough seperate sources of happiness that can be redistributed to counter the war weariness.

Oh, and a piece of advice, both warmonger penalties and war weariness get worse the later in the game you are. Early wars are therefore preferable over late wars. Even then I would not declare war to steal a builder though. :) (a settler is a different case...)

8. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Thanks Leyrann. I figured out why Seoul disappeared from the city-state list: the turn after I swiped the builder, my ally Scythia conquered Seoul lol. So basically I got a free builder. Scythia had been seiging Seoul and I didn’t even know.

One more question: to boost chemistry, it says “complete research agreement.” But of the other 7 civs, only one has that option appear on the trade screen. And that civ refuses to consider it! (“Under no circumstances will I blah blah.”)

So how can I do a Research Agreement? For context, I’m in first place currently for Science Victory, researching Combustion & Mobilization. (And I do know about the whole “switch research halfway until you get the boost” trick/tip)

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

For research agreement you need at least a Declaration of Friendship or allied status. I usually just go for alliance and do the research agreement all in one go. They also need to have researched Scientific Theory (as well as you). On lower difficulty levels this can be more difficult to pull off if you are far ahead of the AI in tech.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone know if there's a way to stop or slow down research in this game? I'm pretty sure there is not. Sometimes in the late game I like to complete city state quests, it gives me something to do. But some can be difficult when I'm flying through the tech tree.

10. Jaybe

If you mean via a mod, I use https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/city-range-up-x.605119/.
    It does a balanced increase (sci/cul/GP), you can choose various rates. I use the 2X, but I also disable the part that increases the max. turns.

11. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Got another one: same game (America now turn 366/500). I had 3 wars start about 300 and end around turn 325. So it’s been 41 turns, and everyone still hates me and continues to denounce me for warmongering. I’ve been at peace like 3 generations now! It’s 1945 and I’ve given them all sweet trade deals (my lux for 1 gpt, etc) This is like the equivalent of us calling Germany warmongers nowadays because of Hitler lol. How long before this stops and they start being friendly again?

(Full disclosure, I did take half of Brazil and Spain’s cities, and one of England’s, and force them to cede them all to me in the peace treaty. Plus a lot of gold and great works. Brazil was the only country I had declared war on, using Casus whatever holy war. England and Spain both attacked me!)

12. Duuk

Duuk 30 Year Noob

The ceding is a big issue. The mechanic is broken. Like badly broken.

13. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Just bought Civ 6...this is my first game (I play on iPad)...hasn’t this game been out over a year? I haven’t played since Civ 3...at first pass, the AI they created in 2000 is better than the one in 2016. Like, night and day. That seems inexcusable. Are there any civ games that have decent AI? (Or civ-like games) Have the devs not addressed this in any patches?

14. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Let me put it another way:

At this point, I’ve been at peace and giving all 7 AI civs sweet deals every few turns for 50 turns. And they all denounced me. And have been ever since those wars I described above.

This glitch basically shuts off the diplomacy& trading portions of the game—no matter what resource I offer, no civ will give me more than 1 gold per turn, even on stuff they really need.

I guess my question is, how is this not fixed 14 months after this game came out?? You guys must’ve been screaming at the devs, right?

15. Jaybe

You do realize that the iPad version isn’t the newest version of the game, don’t you? Relative to the PC version, it’s 1 or 2 patches out of date. If you had been keeping up with the info re the Aspyr release, you would have known that. OTOH, since you are new to civ, you have every reason for not being up to date on all the info available.

16. moors

moors Chieftain

If you play a map above its standard player count by adding players, does max religion count change ?

Let's say I choose a duel map and increase the number of players to 4 by adding ai players and also double the city state count, what will the maximum number of religions be in the game ?

17. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

No, it does not.
    Max religions is always ((Default number of civs on the map size) / 2) + 1, so on a duel map, the number of religions will always be 2.

18. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Well crap. I didn’t even consider that. Still though, it does stink that a civ game made 20 years ago has better AI than this one “one or two patches out of date.”

Yeah I don’t know what Aspyr even means. I’ll google it.

19. Shawn Roberts

Shawn Roberts Chieftain

Questions (Googled, couldn’t find answers)

Do you guys know:
    1) GG Eisenhower’s retire ability...is that production boost to your whole empire? Or just the city you retire him in?

2) when you’ve got a religious unit with one spread left can you do anything besides use the last charge or fight other religious units? Like, if I park my missionaries or apostles in opposing holy sites and leave ‘em there...does that have any effect over time?

3) is there any way to trade a conquered city back to its original owner? I’ve tried offering Birmingham back to the English (decades after our peace treaty, due to the bug discussed above on page 91, where everyone has denounced me for decades of peace time, ostensibly for accepting ceded cities in a peace treaty. Or just conquering them.) She never accepts the city, nor have the Spanish accepted Toledo, etc.

Thanks for all your help. Everyone on this forum is super friendly.

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Every city you take increases the warmonger penalty you gain (though the penalties are removed if you return them at the end of the war), and a war starting at turn 300 is a very late war. Try to fight most of your wars in the first 200 turns (depending on difficulty level, most AIs will be around the modern era by that time, and warmonger penalties reach their maximum with industrial or modern era, remaining the same after) and try, if you're past Classical Era, to not take more than 2-3 cities at a time if you are not aiming for a domination victory. (if you are, you really need to be an expert on diplomacy in order to remain friends with some civs all the way into the late eras, but if you're going for domination you're not looking at diplomacy anyways)

And to compare with WWII warmongering, all 'cities' Germany took were taken back (and liberated) by the Allies, meaning they ended with no more (less, even) 'cities' than they started with, meaning they only had the 'warmonger penalty' for the original declarations of war.

1. Considering it's only 5%, I think it's in all cities. In one city it would most likely be more like 20% or even 50%.

2. Just leaving them doesn't do anything. If you have apostles with more than 3 charges, however (due to promotions or wonders or things like that) you can use charges until you have only 3 remaining and then use them to Evangalize Belief or Start Inquisition.

3. Only at the end of the war, otherwise it does not count as trading back a city anymore. A piece of advice: Always trade back at least 1 city at the end of the war (even if you demand others in return) to avoid a permanent steep diplomatic penalty with the civ you conquered cities from. Additionally, cities given to you in peace deals do not count towards warmonger penalties, so conquering 3 cities, then giving them back in exchange for 3 others mean you'll have no warmonger penalties for conquering cities after the war is over (you will have them for declaring the war though, if you did do so, and civs might have denounced you during the war).

And thank the mods for keeping this forum so friendly. :)