Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I smoked two packs a day for 30 years. I doubt increasing the cost would have made me quit.
Especially because it was less than a buck a pack when I started and over 5 when I quit.
But now 10 year without.

I thought I was feeling well enough to eat a little bit. That was a mistake. :ack:

My laptop's screen started glitching out. Not sure if it's an internal connector going bad or a more serious problem. The laptop is a convertible tablet that wasn't hugely popular so I imagine getting parts and labor to fix it won't be cheap. If the screen goes entirely, I should still be able to plug it into an external monitor. I had been toying with the idea of beginning to save up for a gaming desktop, but I may have to get another laptop instead or sink a lot of money into fixing the one I have. Oh well

In NM you can buy packs of off brand cigarettes for about $3.50; a carton will run you ~$30.00. Marlboros run $67+ a carton. A new tax goes into effect July 1 bumping the carton price $3.00.

But wow 15 usd? But yes I can imagine it is just reasonable, I heard in New York studio's apartment flat can cost you like 1500 usd per month, which pretty much consumed most of my earning while I'm considered highly paid here.
Aimee is Canadian. I'm not sure if the price she's quoting includes the 15% HST (harmonized sales tax) or not.

I wonder what does 10 usd means from country to country.
It depends on how the exchange rate fluctuates. I've stopped buying stuff on eBay due to the exchange rate plus the insane shipping prices. At least I can feed my ACEO card addiction on Etsy in Canadian currency.

About the only places I buy from nowadays in American funds are The Penguin Place, when they offer a discount code of at least 20% (helps mitigate the exchange rate, which is more than 20%) and Society6 (I needed a new clock to replace my Thomas Kinkade one, and discovered that some of my favorite deviantArt and Etsy artists also sell there; no, I did not buy a penguin clock).

While it's a noble goal it serves also as a fuel for illegal import and blak market for cigarets.
It's a problem when you consider the smuggling on/off the native reserves.

A cartoon in the US was around 80 bucks last week. In the city it was closer to 120.
For that price, I hope it was a funny one.

And it acts as a tax on the poor.
The poor are not obligated to smoke.

We should make it 1$ per post "luxury tax" than :lol:
Once upon a time in March 2011, there was a thread on this very topic (I think it was in Site Feedback), stating that Thunderfall had decided to start charging people to post here.

Spoiler :
It was an April Fool's joke that some people actually believed.

Maybe you've heard that there's a European Parliament election next month (say, in the cotext of the absurdity of the UK being still in it).

Now there are ads on youtube. A lot.
Not for anyone. Just for the thing.
Apparently the EP has money to throw around.
And the ad is basically three minutes of women giving birth.
Because the EP appears to be an 8th grader with a keen understanding of metaphors.
It's quite cringe.

And the whole premise...
"Yeah, i know the election is going on.
And if i really would not have known, it would have probably have been good to tell me way before we are two minutes deep into birthing women, maybe?
And what's with "Europe" anyway. You act like i've never heard of it.
I'm standing on it, right now; my feet are physically attached to it, resulting in a certain familiarity.
I've heard of the general idea of us making a distinction somewhere. Like, 'there be Asia' and all that.
And how about you care about my best interests for a second, rather than those of some fictive newborn.
And those of birthing women."

Anyway... so i looked up the ad for the existence of the 2014 EP election / Europe being a thing / the concept of voting / whatever.
Aaaand... it's so much worse.
And despite having a more general theme...
...there's actually pregnant women and newborns shoehorned into it.
I'm sorry, but either this is old white men in the EP having some sort of fetish or some ad agency has figured out that "women" have even more of an in group bias than i thought.
This must all be very triggering to trans people.
Also: What's with the passionately kissing couple? That's so heteronormative and problematic.
But hey, 2014 was basically still the unwoke middle ages, right?

Anyway: The thing.
It's on.
I already knew. But thanks for the heads up.
You can stop now.
Curb the ads.

Last edited:
uBlock Origin is good at blocking YouTube ads. Or VLC Media Player, though I had to update the lua file to get some videos to load.

Well, it is dating.

The rant is that it actually isn't :/.

Next rant: one of the biggest celebrations of the year, and I'm alone on the couch. Should have expected that though. Having only 3 interesting people around just isn't enough :(.

Trying to clear the Easter ham my in-laws were generous enough to give us. After Lenten vows of meat once a week, so. very. farty.

I have to use the bathroom but my mother decided to clean the toilet and it's taking forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom