1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Supa's Heads

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Supa, May 1, 2012.

1. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Soon after reading a topic about the Cthulhu Civilization in the Steampunk forum and its lack of leaderhead, I found a nice Octopus-headed man model.. You see where I'm going: I didn't take long before I tried to make my first animated LH. I hope I didn't forget any file.

Cthulhu Priest

Never in the Lovecraft's novels appeared such a beast. I've never encountered it either in pastiches and follow ups. So I'm drifting away from all canon.. You can build your own backstory for him : A whole new underwater species, a mutated/corrupted human, a hybrid human/xothian, a very young xothian, etc. :D

Neutral to Happy to Neutral to Angry to Neutral (actual palette)

Download
    Animation by Supa
    Flayer and cloth models by Sixus1
    Cthulhu Loves picture by Marcelo Gallegos (http://www.niceghost.com/)

2. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Looks very batrachian :)

4. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I've been hoping for this for a long time! Very well done, although in your preview he seems to fade away into darkness for a moment as he gets angrier, at least on a computer with a dark display (like I have). But I'll reserve judgement on that until I see it in-game. I love the leaderhead pcx's, there's some perfectly understated humor there. Lol, really.

5. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Thanks for the comments.

@Balthasar :

It's the way I intended it. When he gets angry, the player found himself into growing darkness, building up tension. The red eyes appear when he gets very angry. In fact, it's right at a moment of play forward-backward so they're slightly flickering. Actually quite cool.

6. KingArthur

KingArthur Tinkering with biqs

7. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

i love the name your thread

8. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

9. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

Wow, that is a killer head! I love how it fades in and out of the shadows based on it's mood. I am sure it is blasphemy to many on this thread but I was never much into Cthulu, but I wish I was just so I could use that LH...

10. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

DangidyDangDang.

Another creation that has got to find a home.

EDIT: Any chance of a King unit?

Never mind. just saw the other thread.

11. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Thanks!

@Gojira54

Burn him ! ;)

I don't blame you, with so many pastiches and reprises you could have read some really poor stories. Lovecraft's novels, in which Cthulhu doesn't really have a central role (1), can also be off-putting as characters are rarely memorable. However, there are really worth the time.

[1] It was August Derleth that named the more-or-less connected Lovecraft's stories and its pastiches "Cthulhu Mythos" (after proposing it to be the "Hastur Mythos"). Lovecraft likely never wanted to create a pantheon and only used it parsimoniously, and not always in the same way, to create a mood. Derleth missed that point, among others, and tried to structure it.

@Blue Monkey

Yes, I'm ahead of you on this one !

12. Blue Monkey

Lovecraft is superb at atmosphere when he brings his A game. At The Mountains of Madness is - in part - so effective because it's in the first person. Get the heebeejeebees first hand. I'll listen by candlelight to Richard Coyle read Lovecraft no matter how many times I've heard it before. His version of ATMOM has just enough sound effects to keep me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next sentence.

13. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

That BBC programme sounds very good. Is there a way to download these (and past) episodes for future listening ? I wish radio play could come back.. Perhaps they did and nobody warned me !

14. Blue Monkey

Some of the stuff is available for purchase. Most of it is just streamcast. The Lovecraft seems to be replayed about every six months or so. I'll try to remember to post the next time Mountains of Madness comes around.

15. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

16. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

That lighting effect is very cool! All around excellent LH! :thumbsup:

17. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Thank you, Grandraem.

The changing light was really a bet, considering the limited palette (256 colors). I'm glad it payed off. :) Note that there is more than only a changing light effect. Different areas of the (2D) background react differently to it, there is also a slight and continuously changing bump map for the "far away" waters. It was really fun to make.

18. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

That's a very nice LH (sorry not to have spotted it earlier) - very imaginative use of the darkness and also the cute Cthulhu in the "loves" image!

19. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

20. Blue Monkey

Streamcast of episode one available with the rest to follow. Make sure to listen. Best Lovecraft I've ever heard. IMHO it's meant to be heard and not seen.