The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took some salmon from the freezer and put it in cool (not cold) water to defrost. Half an hour later, I take it out and the packaging was open, so it was exposed to the water. Is it safe to eat?

(Pretty sure it was sealed when I put it in, maybe the water unglued something.)

Last edited:
How do you convert a hydrometer reading in % v/v alcohol to density?

I have this refractometer hydrometer that reads in % v/v alcohol. My pre-fermentation mix reads at 55%, how do I convert this to density, or original gravity? I mostly want to work out when fermentation has finished.

I took some salmon from the freezer and put it in cool (not cold) water to defrost. Half an hour later, I take it out and the packaging was open, so it was exposed to the water. Is it safe to eat?

(Pretty sure it was sealed when I put it in, maybe the water unglued something.)

The only thing that will have happened in 1/2 an hour is some of the water will have go onto the fish. If the water is clean, then so is the fish, in the same way as if you had washed it. If the water is not clean, but could be contaminated by bacteria then just make sure you cook the fish well. If the water is not clean and may be contaminated with chemical toxins then I would not eat it, but you will have to make a call.

You want to boil the water first before eating it, I guess you then have to freeze it too before hand.

I learned today that the British version of "Main Street" is "High Street"; it's both one of the most common street names and it's used as a metonym for the main business and shopping street of a town.

What I'm wondering is if "High Street" is a sentimental term as well, used as a metonym for small towns, small-town life, and common people. If it's not obvious what I mean, in the US you often hear people say things like "I'm not concerned about Wall Street, I'm concerned about Main Street" and "Walmart is destroying Main Street." Does "High Street" function the same way in the UK (or elsewhere in the Commonwealth for that matter)?

Last edited:
Yeah I read that.

And come on, man. I want to hear from a real-life British person, not Wikipedia.

The sentiment is there, when large chains and/or supermarkets start driving out the independent stores, but we don't have that aphorism, no, even if you substituted High for Main.

The sentiment is there, when large chains and/or supermarkets start driving out the independent stores, but we don't have that aphorism, no, even if you substituted High for Main.
Ok, so it’s the same sentiment and metonymy about local/independent shops. But does “high street” also embody small towns and humble people in general? I guess I’m not sure what you mean by aphorism.

not really - "high street" tends to be the central (often original) shopping street/area of the town/village/city...it wouldn't necessarily refer to the town/village as a whole.

EDIT: But of course it could do, some villages are small enough to effectively be the high street and nothing else.

In the US we use the term "Main Street" to signify the heart of local shopping. Wal Mart et al were the death of many local Main Streets.

EDIT: But of course it could do, some villages are small enough to effectively be the high street and nothing else.

Well, you might say, "I'm going up the high street," but even then you wouldn't apply it to the entire settlement and its people.

I guess I’m not sure what you mean by aphorism.

An aphorism is a memorable expression about general truths, e.g. "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

"Give a man a moderator tag and he double posts." :p

"Give a man a moderator tag and he double posts." :p

Apparently, it's "give a man a moderator tag and he fails to conceal a double post". :)

My favourite part about Arakhor's post merging is that it breaks thread alerts and I stop receiving them until I manually check the thread again.

I don't see why it would do that. :confused:

I should have quoted both of them, but you covered it nicely with your merge reference. Thx.

Sometimes I get an itch. When I scratch it in the area it seems to be, it doesn't help. But scratching the entire general area does help. Are my nerves broken?

Had something like that once or twice also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom