The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a peanut butter and jam sandwich yesterday - the cupboards were a bit bare.

Jelly is less common I think - it is made from fruit juice rather than from fruit itself.

Is peanut butter usually sweetened?
I find that makes a big difference to the taste.

I'm sure American peanut butter is sweetened just based off everything else that is here, but I don't really know.

By regulation in the US, you can only have a maximum of either 2 or 3% (can't remember) of non-peanut in peanut butter. This effectively caps the amount of salt, sugar and stabilizing oils that can be added.

A recent trend has been the rise of peanut 'spreads' which don't claim to be butter by using the word spread and they are heavily sugared. An opposing (and arguably bigger) trend is the 'natural' peanut butters which tend to have even less additives than standard peanut butter. There has unfortunately been a few cases of companies wrongly labeling their spreads as butters I should note.

You can buy a jar of reference peanut butter from the FDA for a couple hundred bucks too - companies buy these to run tests against it to calibrate their own mixes. I almost bought some once just because I have to have all the peanut butter.

oh yeah I remember hearing about 'the reference peanut butter' before.

that's honestly kind of hilarious that we guard the recipe from degradation like that. like it's as important as a kilogram or meter is.

I always find it hilarious (and a little questionable) when jars of peanut butter have the allergy warning that they "may contain peanuts."

They make a real label that says definitively "product contains peanuts" so idk why they can't apply that lol

No joke, I was eating some peanut butter yesterday and found myself wondering why they need a label to say that Peanut Butter contains peanuts. I don't think they need a label on milk saying "contains lactose".

No joke, I was eating some peanut butter yesterday and found myself wondering why they need a label to say that Peanut Butter contains peanuts. I don't think they need a label on milk saying "contains lactose".

Because people are stupid. And companies find doing things like that as a fairly cheap insurance against stupid people successfully suing them.

I've got a question regarding The Corona™. One of the biggest risks is that many people are asymptomatic carriers and may inadvertently spread the disease.

My question is: Can people in the risk groups also be asymptomatic carriers, or does being in a risk group guarantee symptoms?

Is it true that Europeans don't really have peanut butter and don't eat PB&J's???
I think that in notAmerica people's attitude to USian peanut butter and so on is mostly ‘you do you, we have better stuff’ and it appears to be mutual.
I've got a question regarding The Corona™. One of the biggest risks is that many people are asymptomatic carriers and may inadvertently spread the disease.

My question is: Can people in the risk groups also be asymptomatic carriers, or does being in a risk group guarantee symptoms?
As far as I know there's no evidence on being in a risk group guarantee symptoms, but there's so many untested people, due to the incompetence and complacence of our governments, that we don't really know. :(

I just finished my Japan thread (see sig), and will go through and see if I should post any supplementary material that I missed.. but.. next up I want to chronicle my hike to Everest Basecamp and the week or so I spent exploring Kathmandu. Is there any interest in that?

Yes.

I don't think anyone knows that. There's already talk of a "longtail" variant, which supposedly manifests as muscle pain, shortness of breath and refusal to go away, even weeks later.

I just finished my Japan thread (see sig), and will go through and see if I should post any supplementary material that I missed.. but.. next up I want to chronicle my hike to Everest Basecamp and the week or so I spent exploring Kathmandu. Is there any interest in that?

I do. :wavey:

Hey guys actually civilization 6 dlc in steam is in huge discount (bundle that contain negative dlc review lol), it's quite affordable, but "New Frontier", "gathering storm" and "rise and fall" are still so expensive.

If I get civ 6 from epic game, can I buy the other component from steam and integrates it? are these expensive "new frontier", "gathering storm" and "rise and fall" an essential buy?

Please guy I need your help to decide.

No. You can't buy Steam DLC and expect it to apply to apply to an Epic purchase, unless you could somehow force Steam to DL the content and then port it over to your Epic installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom