1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valka D'Ur, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

When they show images of the coronavirus, it's usually a grey sphere with spikes, and on top of those spikes, the crowns are red.

Is the virus really these colors, or are those colors just added to help viewers distinguish portions of the virus?

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I've seen it in a variety of colors. I just wish they would stop plastering it on every news article. We KNOW what it looks like now. Stop already.

One thing I noticed: the general shape resembles some of the beaded satin/styrofoam Christmas ornament kits that Mary Maxim sells. It would not surprise me if these ornaments don't sell as well this year.

GenMarshall and amadeus like this.
  3. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

No the the red grey pictures you see, most likely this, is an illustration. With the important bits colored in. Most of the images I've seen of it have been made using an electron microscope. So I'd guess the virus itself is too small to see using visible light so it has no color to speak of.

The_J likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

What are those tiny orange/yellow bits? Not the spikey red ones.

5. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

According to the wiki page I found the picture on:

Red protrusions: spike proteins (S)
    Grey coating: the envelope, composed mainly of lipids, which can be destroyed with alcohol or soap
    Yellow deposits: envelope proteins (E)
    Orange deposits: membrane proteins (M)

If that helps

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Anyone here had raw milk, butter or cheese? I'm looking into this topic and I'm not seeing a convincing reason why these outbreaks couldn't be caused by poor dairy practices on industrial milk farms. I would only ever source my milk from places I know personally.

Also, do the claims about asthma/allergen improvement extend to cheese? Aging unpasteurized cheese for a couple months apparently removes any risk (according to the FDA).

7. Samson

Samson Deity

When I worked on a dairy farm I loved to drink the milk fresh out of the bulk tank, that was in the cow between 3 and 1/2 an hour before. It tastes far better than pasteurised milk. I am an asthmatic and noticed no change either way with quite a lot of consumption.

As I understand it, brucellosis was the primary reason for the introduction of pasteurisation, and that is really serious. This has been eliminated from much of the west at least. I am not sure what you mean by "these outbreaks".

8. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Why does Scotland have a parliament?

9. really

really Deity

Having a referendum on a Scottish Parliament was part of the Labour Party manifesto in the 1997 General Election.

Labour won a landslide.

The referendum was held later that year and approved by 63% of the people of Scotland.

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

11. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Where do I find the best pizza?

12. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Independent local pizza places.

Morty and ShogunGrumpyBear like this.
  13. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

If you are talking about frozen pizza, Red Baron Brick Oven pizza is for my money the best. Chewy crust and just enough sweetness in the tomato sauce, but not overpowering. Cheese is also just the right amount to avoid grease puddles.

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  14. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

831 7th Ave in midtown Manhattan.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Does anyone know anything about Health Savings Accounts?

And in particular, is it true all the all the money you put into one that is unused at the end of the year is forfeited ? I'm thinking about opening one for the birth as the tax savings may be significant but unfortunately healthcare in the US is one of the only markets that are completely opaque as to pricing and I don't want to put a bunch of money into an account only to have it forfeited if I estimate wrongly. Nor do I want to go out and buy a tone of Tylenol or whatever at the end of the year to soak up any excess funds.

16. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Is it called Ray's Pizza?

Interesting, I do not think I ever had Red Baron's pizza. What do you think about that Freschetta?

shadowplay likes this.
  17. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

It's in children. There was a link between drinking unpasteurized milk early in life and better allergy/asthma outcomes later on. The objection to this is that growing up on a farm has the same effect and since the two often go together, it acts as a confounding variable. I'm not remotely qualified to judge which side of the debate is correct.

Listeria, E. Coli, etc are connected to raw dairy consumption.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6805749/
    https://www.fda.gov/food/buy-store-...pasteurized-milk-can-pose-serious-health-risk

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    The_J likes this.
  18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

They shouldn't expire. The idea is to put away enough for major events. If it expired, that would kill the whole concept of it. What institution would you be looking to open it with? Is it from your employer?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Good link that is easy to read.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...in-depth/health-savings-accounts/art-20044058

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Why are RPGs on the PC called RPGs when they are not RPGs?