UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further back you're going to find ancestor who just didn't care because with whom others joined up with didn't really matter to them and no one was telling them otherwise. Without economic, religious or political authorities basing their power on turning people against each other. It has been a constant flow across history, in one direction and then the other, tolerance/intolerance, it ties into hierarchical politics exploiting divisions.
Is it thought? People have been bashing each other over the heads for [reason] long before some guy decided his funny hat made him king.

If you enact fully automated luxury space communism tomorrow, sure. But in the meantime, we must be pragmatic in how we direct our resources. Moderates have long reminded us of this. This means that certain groups can merit specific attention.

Again, look at the Maori. You cannot in good faith pretend that it's all just an unfortunate coincidence that a population of dispossessed indigenous people score lower across the board on economic and health metrics. The only way to reconcile this reality with a refusal to acknowledge the role of racism and colonialism in creating these conditions is to suppose that there is just something about the Maori, about their culture or their genetic makeup, that more strongly predisposes them to poverty than whites. And even if you don't say this explicitly, other people will, and if you refuse to contest them in substantive terms, if you refuse to offer alternative explanations for these conditions, then their argument is the only game in town, and the problem of Maori poverty is never acknowledged as a problem, at least not beyond a vague wistful observation that, wow, it sucks that the Maori are poor, but it wouldn't be right to spend any extra money on them because it will make white people sad.

It doesn't even need to be something conventionally "idpol". In Scotland, there is a long history of rural poverty, especially in the Highlands and Isles. Recent governments have spent a lot of time and resources trying to address that. It isn't a big sexy issue, it doesn't have celebrity-lead twitter hashtags. It runs against traditional assumptions that rural poverty is a by-product of the culture of these regions. And it requires them to spend more money on people living in those areas than in the more populated Central Belt. But the money they spend in those areas goes further, it helps break cycles of poverty and create a foundation for future well-being that regionally-indiscriminate spending would not. Should these politics be abandoned because the construction worker we have imagined doesn't care about child mortality rates on Skye?

They do spend extra money on the Maori.

There's a lot of social services funded for them and low decile schools in poor areas get extra funding. Maori students get extra funding since the 1980s. They thought I was one as I was tanned and came from warmer part when we moved.

. They've been doing that since the 70s. A lot if not most NZ families have Polynesian relatives.

Some Maori cultural elements don't fit in the modern world I've had Maori themselves tell me that. It also varies by tribe and region. Here they're mostly the same as everyone else up north it can be bad.

They are getting a Maori middle and upper class as well. They often vote right wing shrugs.

They had a Maori party as well that coalitioned with the neo libs. They got turfed out last election though.

Polynesians are not big on LBQT rights either. A lot go to church and it's not part of their normal culture. Maoris have tradionally been allied with Labour since the 1930s.

BoJo in hospital.

Queens speech was good. Was a republican as a young one(not GoP, anti monarchy), now I've seen republics in action constitutional monarchies look good by comparison.

They do spend extra money on the Maori.

There's a lot of social services funded for them and low decile schools in poor areas get extra funding. Maori students get extra funding since the 1980s. They thought I was one as I was tanned and came from warmer part when we moved.

. They've been doing that since the 70s. A lot if not most NZ families have Polynesian relatives.

Some Maori cultural elements don't fit in the modern world I've had Maori themselves tell me that. It also varies by tribe and region. Here they're mostly the same as everyone else up north it can be bad.

They are getting a Maori middle and upper class as well. They often vote right wing shrugs.

They had a Maori party as well that coalitioned with the neo libs. They got turfed out last election though.

Polynesians are not big on LBQT rights either. A lot go to church and it's not part of their normal culture. Maoris have tradionally been allied with Labour since the 1930s.
I don't think you quite understood the post you are responding to.

Then I really need to read more Oruc, sometime between now and the next Brexit.

Forget it, Starmer is a balirite operative. Labour is done.

Yes, it all seems very strange to me.

The Labour party membership choosing the most key architect of their December 2019 defeat to be their new leader.

The nearest equivalent, and this isn't quite the same thing because it refers to the governing party, that I can think of is when
John Major ganged up with others on Margaret Thatcher regarding the European Exchange Rate Mechanism in the 1990s.

BoJo on IC

The Labour party membership choosing the most key architect of their December 2019 defeat to be their new leader.

That was Corbyn, unquestionably so. It's almost as if people are predicting Labour's imminent demise because they're concerned that the party actually has a leader again.

And 4 hours ago they were saying reports of him being on a ventilator were russian disinformation.

Would it for Nr 10, as body of authority, not be enough to just say that he is conscious ?
(in the sense of not anesthetized for the ventilator treatment)

Q: is "conscious" here the right word as antonym of anesthetized ?

And 4 hours ago they were saying reports of him being on a ventilator were russian disinformation.

He might not be on a ventilator yet. But my guess is he is, or will be. When I saw the news that he'd gone to hospital it was obvious this was serious, no way would such a thing be done if it would be avoided.
As for "russian disinformation", that one has gotten old!

That was Corbyn, unquestionably so. It's almost as if people are predicting Labour's imminent demise because they're concerned that the party actually has a leader again.

We'll see in a couple of years.

Must be galling for someone who sees himself as the next Churchill to be incapacitated when the biggest crisis since WW2 is at its most severe.

[edit] added emphasis

Last edited:
Starmer is the one of the three candidates that the Tories wanted the least IMO. It is just a shame that the new leader of the Labour party is not a woman.

Starmer is undoubtedly not as far left as Corbyn and that augers well for the Labour party if they actually want to get into power. It would seem the party had an influx of moderate members recently to claim power back from the Corbynista hard left. Or maybe many of them simply came to their senses.

I imagine if Corbyn was going to be given a job in the cabinet he would have had one by now. I can see him being quite a thorn in Sir Keir’s side doing about the only thing he is good for – sniping at both government and opposition alike from the back benches.

There has been quite a purge of Corbynistas from the cabinet, and I welcome what the Guardian said: “the appointments of Miliband and Falconer to the shadow cabinet signal the ascent of the soft left in the party, at the expense of the Jeremy Corbyn-supporting hard left who have dominated since 2015.”

But, then again, Ed Miliband?

What do you expect from Tories and Brexiters? With any luck, post-pandemic there will be demographic changes that render their days in power numbered.
I'm not laughing happy, but this does bring a smile.

You are the one who is sick IMO. And as such, I do hope you get well soon.

Must be galling for someone who sees himself as the next Churchill to be incapacitated when the biggest crisis since WW2 is at its most severe.

But the strains of war showed even on the man called Britain's Bulldog. He suffered a mild heart attack in December 1941 while at the White House shortly after Pearl Harbor to solidify relations with his most important ally, Franklin D. Roosevelt. Two years later, he contracted pneumonia.
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/hea...n-churchills-most-secret-battle-20171124.html

Is the following proof of a sea change in the morals of the Labour party? I doubt very much if Corbyn would have allowed the expelling of anyone from the Labour party for this. But then again, I do hope the hard, nasty left leave the party on their own accord anyway.

A town mayor has been expelled from the Labour party for saying Boris Johnson ‘completely deserves’ to have coronavirus.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/07/mayor-expelled-labour-party-saying-pm-completely-deserves-12522731/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom