Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that I am not, in fact, a fan of Doctor Who.
I haven't watched Dr Who since that godawful movie, which came out before the NuWho (reboot?) series started.

From what I saw of the original series (I was still too young for Tom Baker's run, so) Peter Davison (5th doctor) became my favorite doctor pretty much by default; but my favorite companion was Ace (7th doctor; Sylvester McCoy) 'cos — instead of screaming and running away, or freezing in terror — she jus' blowed stuff up reeeealll gooood.

Last edited:
upload_2021-12-8_17-13-34.png

It was on greek tv, back in the day - late 80s. I even recall that one of the episodes had scared me (some wasp-like parasitical things in an alien ship cliffhanger)

9 and Billie Piper .

last night something named Pandorum or something . People leave an Earth of 22 billion souls behind but something happens . Expect some sort of Lord of Flies . Then tonight , Cargo , with unpronounceable German names . Mostly a Matrix in Space , but like European moderation in politics ; the lie might be something intending to benefit masses .

a hot girl
That would be Karen Gillan.

She also played Nebula (Gamora's adopted cyborg-sister) in the MCU/ Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
She also played AMY, THE BESTEST DOCTOR COMPANION
And she also played Jane Lockhart in Not Another Happy Ending, a film which I watched recently, as usual, due to the vagaries of international distribution zoning. A meh film, by the way.

Stargate, which marks just how much Kurt Russell-y awesomeness certain people are missing.

Since Lina Wertmüller died, RAI changed its usual schedule and instead aired a 1978 film with the Guinness World Record™ longest title, Un fatto di sangue nel comune di Siculiana fra due uomini per causa di una vedova. Si sospettano moventi politici. Amore-Morte-Shimmy. Lugano belle. Tarantelle. Tarallucci e vino., which Wikipedia in English shortens to ‘Blood Feud’. Since the title plate just states ‘Fatto di sangue’ I suppose it fits. In Unitedstatesia it was billed as ‘Revenge’.

When you see that the film bills Marcello Mastroianni, Sophia Loren and Giancarlo Giannini and it's by Wertmüller you know in advance that it's going to be a good thing.

Thanks Netflix for being badly designed :mad:.

I read a while ago that there's a limit of 500 items which you can put on your watch-list. For like... no good reason. Okay, thought myself, will take a while to get there.
A while ago I noticed that I'd reached that limit. Was actually above (506 or so). So I thought it didn't apply anymore. Netflix wouldn't let me put down reminders though, without giving any reason (just saying "error". Gee, how useful). I could still put stuff on my list though. Until today I figured I can't. I could put down stuff to be put on my list, and all seemed to work, but Netflix would simply not do it. You'd check the next day for the stuff you put on yesterday, and it wouldn't be there.
It's not so that this list is anyways sooo useful, but I do use it, and I was annoyed today :gripe:. Sorted through my list to remove everything which wasn't really that great, and tried to re-add everything what I thought I had already done. Time well spent :hammer2:.

I read a while ago that there's a limit of 500 items which you can put on your watch-list.
How are series counted towards this? Do you suddenly get 120 slots filled by a 120-episode series?

Silent film (or, at least, no-speaking-characters film) weekend!

Věra Chytilová's Prague: The Restless Heart of Europe (Praha - neklidné srdce Evropy, 1984), which, frankly, I don't know how it got released in Soviet-occupied Czechoslovakia. At any rate it is rebellious starting from the choice of filming techniques and camera positions and actually ending with punk rock as background music.
Mikhail Kaufman's In Spring (Весной/Навесні, 1929). An expressive film about… well, winter becoming spring. I cannot describe it as more than that, it has to be watched.

Both 10/10, even Sommerswerd would grudgingly award them a passing grade.

Last edited:
Knight and Day - An action comedy with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Cruise plays Ethan Hunt a super duper spy saving the damsel in distress (Diaz) in a nonchalant manner like it's just a normal workday for him. A mindless but entertaining 2 hours.

The Last Duel - It's set in medieval France and centers around the accusation of rape. The events of the story are told through the perspectives of 3 separate characters and each has their own twist on the story which I thought was interesting. It's obviously pretty heavy subject matter and the film doesn't shy away from the physical and emotional pain of the events. The beginning of the film was difficult to get into because the story covers so much ground that it's difficult to keep track of what's important. The eponymous last, and really only duel of the film was pretty epic.

Knight and Day - An action comedy with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Cruise plays Ethan Hunt a super duper spy saving the damsel in distress (Diaz) in a nonchalant manner like it's just a normal workday for him. A mindless but entertaining 2 hours.

The Last Duel - It's set in medieval France and centers around the accusation of rape. The events of the story are told through the perspectives of 3 separate characters and each has their own twist on the story which I thought was interesting. It's obviously pretty heavy subject matter and the film doesn't shy away from the physical and emotional pain of the events. The beginning of the film was difficult to get into because the story covers so much ground that it's difficult to keep track of what's important. The eponymous last, and really only duel of the film was pretty epic.

Meh, barbarian trial by combat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom