Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went on a Scream marathon, all three films from 1996 to 2000.

Just saw A Whisker Away on Netflix. Easily a top anime movie of all time for me personally. Not quite the same level as ghibli but damn close

I watched in the last 2 days
Jack the giant slayer
The typical story with the magical beans and the giants up there. Solid fantasy movie, not much to think, do recommend for the right crowd.

Addicted to life
This is... not sure if you can call it a documentary. They basically put footage of different extreme sports (extreme skiing, surfing, wild water kayaking, wing suit etc) together, and have the athletes tell a bit about what they're doing. So it's just a wild mixture of stuff. Great footage though.
It annoyed me that there was basically no narrator, you'd not get any background information on any of the sports, nothing. I'd have preferred to know some numbers, or something about the locations, just anything, but nothing is provided.
There's a follow-up called "Don't crack under pressure". Might watch it, might not, don't know yet.

STAR WARS EPISODE IX: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Spoiler :
I refused to see this in theaters because I was that butthurt over VII and VIII (especially VIII) and I also refused to pay for a rental copy, so I had to wait until it came out on Netflix-by-mail before I could see it. I went into this movie expecting to hate it and came away pleasantly surprised. There were still some major plotholes but overall they managed to salvage this trio in my opinion. Star Wars has always had a loose relationship with self-consistency so it's not like this is a unique problem to this movie - and in this movie (as opposed to the rest of the trilogy), the plotholes and technology enigmas were much less egregious than in the rest of the trilogy.

I will say that Ben Solo's death felt manipulative, a pure power-play to tug on the heart strings at the end of the movie, and it unfolded in a shallow way that didn't feel natural. That said, they sort of backed themselves into a corner with the title of the movie and the decision to make Rey a Palpatine. It wouldn't have worked to make Rey and Ben get married at the end and with Ben dying this cleared the way for her to adopt the Skywalker name in a highly satisfying manner. But at the same time, Ben's death itself felt hollow and dumb and like I said, manipulative.

I also don't like how they dropped the whole Rose/Finn love angle without really acknowledging it even existed to begin with and also the fact that she seemed to have died at the end of VIII but now seems fine. To be clear - I thought the Rose/Finn subplot sucked to begin with and I'm glad they unwound it but they could have handled it better than pretending it (and her heroic/stupid sacrifice) didn't exist. Also, more Death Star Lasers, but now on ships? lol whatever

Anyways, my critiques probably read much harsher than I intend them. It was a good Star Wars movie and while it refrained elements from previous movies, it didn't feel like another retreaded rehash.

They also dropped the stupid, juvenile, Marvel-esque humor from the movie, which was probably my biggest complaint with VII and especially VIII. The alien milk and shoulder swiping really bugged me and I'm glad that gave up that schitck. That doesn't mean they gave up on the light humor, but it now more closely reflects how Star Wars always handled humor rather than that Disney/Marvel garbage in VIII.

My wife had the movie spoiled by Google months ago and managed to keep from spoiling it for me this whole time and I'm super proud of her lol :lol:

Last edited:
Ben Kenobi? He's already one with the Force. ;)

Thanks for catching that. Ren's real name doesn't seem to want to register for me; I actually forgot it was his name until the end of the movie.

Technically, that's neither parent's surname, but we all know who you mean. :)

SEE WHAT I MEAN??

He's Kylo Ren, full stop. We never saw him in a pre-evil period like Anakin/Vader, so his real name just gets lost in the noise for me.

Spoiler :
In my original post I called him Ben Kenobi, then corrected it to Ben Skywalker.

Does anyone know
Spoiler :
How much of the Leia footage was deepfake? Obviously young Leia at the end was fake, but did they really record all of her scenes before she died? Or had they planned more and had to scale it way back?

I believe that her footage in TRoS was all real, whether specifically filmed or unused footage.

Today's the 45th anno of Jaws, yo. Might be the movie I've watched the most.

"There. You see that?"
"You're wearing a sweater."

Five Element Ninjas, the 1982 Shaw Brothers classic.

I don't love this particular sub-genre of "exotic weapon" martial arts films, which tend to emphasise weird gimmicky weapons over the physical prowess which is the backbone of the genre, but this is about the best version of that genre you could expect. The martial arts are of consistently high quality, and while I think they are stifled a bit by the gimmicky stuff, even that is for the most part quite creative and fun. In the context of a cinema market which had plenty of "straight" martial arts films I can appreciate why this would be a success. Story and characterisation do what they need to, which is move the hero from fight to fight, and to ensure that those fights have convincing stakes. The production values are also very high for the era, as you would expect of a Shaw Brothers production, even if they never really seem to figure out how to get the wigs right.

It's on Netflix (in the UK, at least), and worth a watch if you have a couple of hours and a taste for some over-the-top kung fu.

I watched recently:
The Great Hack
This is all about the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Like also "The Social Network", I have no idea why you'd make a boring film about it. I watched it since paranoia is my hobby, and this seems like the movie I need to have seen. Nobody needs to have seen either movie. Not really anything in there besides "they have all the info and they're using it", and in no particular way interesting. Waste of time.

Sausage party
Better watch it while drunk or high, is probably very entertaining then.

The Assassins Creed movie became available. I know some critics hated it. Should I watch it?

The Assassins Creed movie became available. I know some critics hated it. Should I watch it?
Was it (also) directed by Uwe Boll? If not, you might be OK... ;)

Over the past month or so, I have watched The Imitation Game (as depressing as might be expected), The Fast & The Furious 1+2 (not my choice, but still dumb fun), Chappie (="what if No.5 had been adopted by gangsters instead of Ally Sheedy?") and Princess Mononoke.

I rewatched Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider. I still enjoy it. :)

I rewatched Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider. I still enjoy it. :)
There's been many a fight in our household whether the Angelina Jolie or Alicia Vikander version is better. I stand firmly with the latter. Though I like Jolie, Vikander just had that tough vulnerability (oxy) that I liked in a younger version of the Croft character. Plus body goals, that girl was ripped!

I prefer the new film to Jolie's outings as well. It remains to be seen if the sequel holds up as well.

I watched "Between Worlds" on Netflix. Nicholas Cages starred. Not very good.

I haven't watched any of the movies, nor played the games, but from looks it seems that Jolie's was closer to the "essence" of the original games :p
Big boobs and tight shorts, packing guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom