1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I think the social forces that drove support for Trump will remain in effect at least until 2045, and perhaps for a while after that.

Lexicus likes this.
  2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Trump is running in 2024. The amount of money he is able to grift off of his supporters is too great to resist. I expect him to announce his candidacy for 2024 within the next few months.
    And the Republican primary field will be similarly split in 2024. Just look at how many candidates the Republicans had in 2016 and how many the Democrats had in 2020. Its escalating.
    Trump got the most votes of any Republican in history. There is no way he doesn't run in 2024. Its just impossible that he stays out. If he is alive he is running 100%. Where is the predictions thread so I can ink this one now?

3. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

How awesome for him to tout it like credit should go to him, given:
    - This is a reaction to the GSA initiating transition support to Biden
    - Biden nominating Yellen for Secretary of the Treasury
    - Trump claiming previously that the stock market would crater if Biden won the election

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Patine

Patine Deity

Again, you show a lack of understanding of the phenomenon of populism. Even if the social forces are there (although I personally believe they will morph and change drastically by then), Trump's specific brand of advocating a take on them and on expounding them will quickly become stale - especially with no political office or direct power for four years. As well, given it's past tendencies, the GOP will almost certainly throw Trump under the bus, like they did with Nixon and Bush - not keep a candle lit for him. It's time for to brush up on your sociology and political science and history, again.

5. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Trump won the nomination for presidential candidate in 2016 despite the fact that the whole Republican establishment threw him under the bus. And then once he won, the whole party became his toadies.

Sommerswerd and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. Patine

Patine Deity

2024 will be a different year than 2016. And in 2016, they couldn't throw him under the bus - because he wasn't an incumbent, or even a well-established party member (he'd only switched party registration from Ross Perot's Reform Party in 2013, two years before the Primaries began). Saying, or expecting, that 2024 WILL be a repeat of 2016 is very wonky non-logic.

See my response to @Cutlass, above, to retort these two points.

The U.S. also had the most eligible voters in it's history to date in 2016 and 2020. THAT is the REAL reason for this point - nothing else, really...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2020
  7. Cutlass

I actually expect him to be dead of old age by then. But assuming he's healthy enough, and not in prison, to run, he'll win the nomination. .

This is who and what the Republicans are.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

This, with the caveat that he won't run if he's dead, a vegetable, or in jail. Somehow I don't think God will see fit to be so kind to us though. We're a sinful lot, and we need to be punished. Clearly.

Sommerswerd and Zardnaar like this.
  9. Patine

Patine Deity

No, the Republicans are heartless, vulture-like opportunists, driven mostly by greed, and fully willing and able to throw potential liabilities under the bus, mercilessly and with impunity, and only laud and "canonize," Presidents (like Reagan) in safe retrospect. That's who and what the Republicans are, and have been for my entire lifetime. I don't see any likely sentimentality, soft spots, or unconditional loyalty, just because, for Trump. The party is pitiless and backbiting, and cannibalizes their own without a second thought. Were you thinking of ANOTHER PARTY there?

10. Patine

Patine Deity

I don't really think Trump's a Chaldean Neo-Babylonian King figure, there, to be honest. Divine providence is almost certainly not at play, here.

11. Cutlass

Clearly you are not paying attention. The Party Leadership might throw Trump under the bus. But he would win the nomination with no challenge whatsoever. Because while many of the leaders recognize him as a liability to The Cause, in thee end Trump is what the Republican voters want. And the reality of the situation is that Trump is what the The Party Leadership wants as well. They just aren't willing to say so openly. What The Party Leadership wants is the Trump agenda without the Trump baggage. But whether they like it or not, the one comes with the other.

12. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah like the DNC and RNC don't really have much power over candidate selection - some senior figures can try to put their thumbs on the scale but it's an incredibly open and easily infiltrated process compared to essentially any other party preselection system in the world that I'm aware of.

Ajidica, Imaus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  13. Patine

Patine Deity

Red block letters aside, do you understand the socio-political phenomenon of populism and how it works? Have you studied or researched other historical examples of it? It is characterized as "burning hot and bright, but sputtering and dying quickly," in a somewhat poetic analogy, compared to most other political movements. Do you understand this? And do you understand that it is very likely that Trump's particular, specific message and approach will quickly get stale with his target base, especially after losing and sitting out four years, and someone else will come up with a fresh new approach and attitude (even if it treads a lot of the same ground), and will probably be younger and more "in touch," and will quite likely easily snatch the nomination? Do you know how populist dynamics tend to play out, I ask? Again, red block letters aside.

14. Cutlass

Do you? You've demonstrated no understanding at all.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

So, quick, name five populist movements that died shortly after one of their leaders was defeated and then name a couple where the movement continued and then re-welcomed an old leader.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Patine

Patine Deity

It's obvious no progress can be made here, so I am ending this discussion with you, as I see no value in it's continuance.

<Self-Edit>

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  17. Patine

Patine Deity

Many populist movements have a significant difference in that they win, and their leader then makes electoral defeat de facto impossible, but the torch of populistic fervor still quickly dies, and police tactics and forced rallies under fear are needed to keep up the illusion of populist support, but such has, indeed, dried up. But, as an example, I highly doubt Jair Bolsonaro will be re-elected if he chooses to run again - he's clearly burnt out his populist torch. Rodrigo Duterte, hard to say what his future holds, but he'll probably have quite the re-election fight if he chooses to run again, too, the way things are looking, and the Philippines tends to have a higher turnover rate of political leadership within all it's parties. There are, of course, populists who never win government, but make good electoral showings, and run multiple times, like Ian Paisley, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Marine Le Pen, Julius Melena, and even Preston Manning, in Canada, and William Jennings Bryan in the United States. So, to answer your question is not quite so simple...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

:lol:

Angst likes this.
  19. Imaus

Imaus King

Peronism seems to never go away?

20. Patine

Patine Deity

But it no longer remotely has the "bright and hot," aspect of populism I described. It long ago became a mainstream and banal aspect of Argentinian politics, with only a glimmer of it's energy from Juan's lifetime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.