1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

What does plausible mean?

Should I have gone:"I never said innocent. PLEASE READ!!"?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. Patine

Patine Deity

Sorry, what? I read or watch Glenn Beck, so I have no idea what his, "defense," is. Or what a "Chewbacca," defense is. Can you make a point without pop-culture references, buzzwords, and memes, please?

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I'm guessing satires not your strong point.

Ziggy Stardust and Sommerswerd like this.
  4. Patine

Patine Deity

*rolls eyes*

5. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

6. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I have been sarcastic toward Patine on many occasions, none of which were picked up as sarcasm no matter how obvious

aelf likes this.
  7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

There's a framing to watch out for here. I first noticed it with JollyRoger (pbuh) where 'evidence' just meant 'something to look at'. It didn't mean that the evidence was convincing or that it was verfiable. It merely meant that it would be something that would plausibly happen if the underlying hypothesis were true. I sometimes use it that way, and forget to clarify.

For example, 'evidence' that Native Americans are actually migratory Hebrews is that Joseph Smith claims to have had an angel tell him that. It cannot be confirmed and it cannot be replicated. But it would be evidence. If we were building a case both for and against this claim, we would happily slot it and then weight it.

Colloquially, most people mean 'useful evidence' when they say 'evidence'. But not always. And evidence can support multiple hypotheses at the same time. For example, there's a hard limit at which microscopy can resolve something due to the wavelengths of light. This would be evidence for both the Big Bang AND that we live in a simulation that doesn't want to spend processing power resolving the fine-grain resolution for us. In other words, if either scenario were true, we'd expect that evidence to be there.

8. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

Is Beth Harmon known for playing checkers?

Ziggy Stardust and cardgame like this.
  9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Watches thread disappear down rabbithole :popcorn:

hobbsyoyo, GenMarshall and cardgame like this.
  10. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

might as well, election's over.

11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yeah wouldn't be fun at a booze up.

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I think the best we can hope for, is that he runs and it results in part of the Republicans splitting into a 3rd Party.

Hoping that Trump just willingly gives up the "campaign donations" and adoring crowds chanting his name is just... I guess naïve is a polite way of putting it. I mean maybe he lets one of his kids (or their spouses) run in his stead, maybe... but someone in the Trump family is running in 2024 and that's all there is to it.

Seventy-three million votes... and counting. Trump is running again. Write it down.

Gori the Grey and El_Machinae like this.
  13. Patine

Patine Deity

@Cloud_Strife Okay, Ms. Marple, where did I make an outright accusation?

14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You seem agitated my friend... is there anything we can do to assist you sir...

15. Patine

Patine Deity

I highly doubt it...

16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

trump is still a fascist, an incompetent one, but a fascist nonetheless

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  17. Patine

Patine Deity

But if a Trump running in 2024 is NOT Donald, Sr., it won't be a new candidate for "Trumpism," for reasons I've explained several (and have elucidated on the nature of what "Trumpism," actually is, in truth), it'll be a different, but definitely also toxic, campaign, but likely have far less chance of clinching a nomination.

18. Patine

Patine Deity

Your insistence on using old, obsolete labels for modern movements in new contexts is a form of toxic nostalgia. Toxic nostalgia is a centre pillar of EVERY far-right-wing movement out there, whether they be old Fascists, or others (the non-Fascists in the great majority of that grouping - your obstenant denial of facts and reality changing nothing), as well.

GenMarshall likes this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Patine but we all know exactly what she means. Being approximately right is often better than being precisely wrong. @Cloud_Strife, perhaps not perfect, use of fascist conveys what she wants to say far better than your ongoing obsession with definitions conveys the point you are trying to make.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    hobbsyoyo, Sommerswerd and cardgame like this.
  20. Patine

Patine Deity

It's the same kind of "fudging," where Ann Coulter calls Obama and Hillary Clinton Communists for crying out loud. It distorts the discourse into the most extreme, out-of-proportion, and vitriolic terms for everything, usually chosen to capitalize on a baggage of immense infamy that is only partially - often marginally - applicable, and definitely chosen moreso for slanderous epithet than genuinity. And then things return to the general tenor of rhetoric of the Revolutions of 1848...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.