Dune - A Civ 3: Conquests mod

Whoa... :eek: where did all those people come from. :D

Starting with Supa and units:
I agree on the x-com tanks, but they were what I could find. And I don't expect that we can find people to create all the units we need. Of course I could be wrong... But I think i saw a lasertank somewhere, but it was a little too futuristic for my taste... anyways if you can find links to the units of which you speak they would be much appriciated.
I agree on the "barbarian"-threat.
As to Tau it was a result of a translation error in my edition. It isn't a unit, but rather the unity of a fremen sietch. I will remove it again.

Map issues and 10seven:
Hmm... I was expecting to do the map myself, but since I don't have any experince your help would be much welcome. My idea would be to "unfold" the attached map in my earlier post. Thereby the upper 1/3 of the map would be created. We would need to agree on terrain-modifications before you commense your work though. For eksample I would like terrain-types like: Dust Basin, Rocky Ground (not mountains, but rock formations), Melange Field, Dunes, Deep Desert, etc. We need to find tile textures for all of these and deside upon which of the previous terrain-types should be replaced. As to size I like big maps, but I don't expect more than about 10 civs, which should mean a standard map or something around that. Also consider that since there won't be any water there will be much more land to cover.

As to houses, I don't wish the House Corrino to be a seperate player. Instead they will support the house which builds specific wonder by providing Saudukars. I would like to include Smugglers though.

Dr. Yoshi:
All I can say is wow! :goodjob:
Your help is much welcome.

Naz:
We're using the following ressources for this project:
The original books by Frank Herbert
The movie by David Lynch
The games by Westwood
Primarily the books though.

Uglyduck... :scan:

Should you by any means be the very same as the much reknowned mod on the Paradox boards?

As for a Dr. Who project Who knows? ;)

Originally posted by Sute]{h
Uglyduck... :scan:

Should you by any means be the very same as the much reknowned mod on the Paradox boards?

As for a Dr. Who project Who knows? ;)

Now a retired Administrator from there ... and I now have more time for games like this - its great! :)

I will watch this with interest as I have not long started getting into the Dune Books.

Good luck with the project - after modding EU2 then you should find this a little more interestng and fun. You certainly should find plenty of assistance on this Board:)

Terrain:
Ocean = Ocean (won't be used)
Sea = Sea (won't be used)
Coast = Dust Basin (new graphics needed, for the Cialago Depression)
Volcano = Volcano
Marsh = Deep Desert (new graphics needed, no city-building, used for the great wastes between the north and south)
Jungle = Jungle (for the fremen project of recultivation of dune)
Forest = ? (Any good ideas?)
Mountains = Mountains (change coloration to fit deserts)
Hills = Rocky Ground (new graphics needed, perhaps another name)
Flood Plain = ? (Any good ideas?)
Tundra = Tundra
Grassland = Erg (dunes, graphics at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=480552#post480552, slower movement than desert)
Plains = Melange Field (new graphics needed, used for areas of consistant low-level melange supplies)
Desert = Desert

Worker actions:
Irregate = Contruct Windtraps
Mine = Mine
Road = Road (or perhaps not... maybe Create Harvestfield instead and no movement bonus. Roads wasn't used on Dune IIRC)

Terrain ideas:
Ocean = Ocean (won't be used)
Sea = Basin (Royal Basin, etc.)
Coast = Basin (new graphics needed)
Volcano = N/A (I don't believe there was mentioning of a Volcano, is there?:confused: )
Marsh = Deep Desert (new graphics needed, no city-building, used for the great wastes between the north and south)
Jungle = Jungle (for the fremen project of recultivation of dune)
Forest = N/A
Mountains = Mountains (Change the coloration to fit the desert
Hills = Rocky Ground (new graphics needed, perhaps another name)
Flood Plain = N/A
Tundra = Tundra
Grassland = Erg (This is what Dunes are)
Plains = Small strains of grass
Desert = Flat Desert

More ideas l8r! I hope this helps. Nice Harkonnen leaderhead, Yoshi!

Originally posted by uglyduck
Good luck with the project - after modding EU2 then you should find this a little more interestng and fun. You certainly should find plenty of assistance on this Board:)
Why thanks... :D I expect to go back to modding on Victoria when I'm finished with this, and I have the money to buy it. Being a poor student sucks sometimes. :(

Well... I expect you'll pop up here from time to time with comments. ;)

Amenhotep7:
My intention was using Dust Basin was for area's like the Cielago Depression. Your Basin suggestion are to be used as what? The Imperial Basin is a desert area named the Imperial Basin IIRC and not untraversable. Actually a couple of Pyon-villages lies within the Imperial Basin. Therefor I would use Desert terrain for this.

As to Volcanos I don't know, but doesn't almost every planet have these?

Is an erg a dune? Well I'll rename then... :)

As to Plains and grass no vegatation exist on Dune prior to the terraforming performed by Paul and Liet Kynes IIRC.

Oh! Okay...I just thought we should've specified that Imperial Basin is indeed a Basin...:undecide: The book specifies 2 things.
1) An erg is a vast expanse of sandy desert. So I'd guess that there is a difference.
2) In the chapter in the first Dune book when Liet Kynes is stranded in the desert, and about to die, there's a quote somewhere in there where he was looking at grass. Small, meager grasses, of course.

More ideas:D:
Melange should be a resource guarded and surrounded by barbarian-unit sandworms. Same with oasis. Worm Rider is a totally different unit that is buildable.

Are these ideas good?:)

P.S. I also wanted to specify, as my guess is that basins are more fertile than open desert, as many villages are in them. We also need cliff terrain. These should represent the False Walls, etc...Will we be needing different city gfx?

>> Melange should be a resource guarded and surrounded by barbarian-unit sandworms. Same with oasis. Worm Rider is a totally different unit that is buildable.

Not for the Oasis, the worms couldn't stand the water in these :)

We could use the pollution for another means.
First idea : Pollution transform Erg and Flat Desert in Melange Field. As it, the hazardous apparition of Melange (or at least the terrain, if not the ressource) could be appear in game.

Second idea : Pollution transforms 'Small strains of grass', 'Jungle' and another no-desert tiles in Desert. As it, it would be more difficult to terramorph. (About this, I think only the Freemens and perhaps the House Atreides should have some terraformers units)

We could also combine these 2 things.

I don't know if we should use the Oasis resource. Open water doesn't exist on Dune...

As for the Basins my idea was simply using Desert terrain, and then use Deep Desert terrain for the deserts outside the Basins, but of course we could have three levels of Deserts. Ranging from the good Desert Basin to the moderate Desert and Dunes squares and lastly the poor Deep Desert.

Melange should IMHO both be a terrain-type as the poor Melange Fields, and be a resource where abundant Melange. This should be a stratigic resource required for certain units and buildings. Likewise I would have a Water Cache as a stratigic resource on in the south and required for terraforming.

Is the grass Liet observes really abundate enough to mandate a terrain-type? If it is it certainly should be rare and mostly in south. Perhaps Deserts must be terraformed into this before becoming Jungles?

As to city graphics I agree we need seperate one. Personnally I would prefer one for each of the Houses, one for the Fremens and one for the smugglers.

Hmm... Supa could you elaborate on you pollution models?

>> Hmm... Supa could you elaborate on you pollution models?

I meant to use it as classic heat processus (rich terrains become desert-based tile) and as expansion processus of the Melange. As the Spice came from the rather hazardous processus involving worms, it should appear anywhere in the desert-terrains.

Deep desert/Flat desert/Erg -> Melange Field

Of course, only the Melange Field would popup instead of the desert, not the resource. At least, for a while. As I think it, the Melange should have a high disapparence ratio. If so, it should be reappear as well in the new Melange Field, no ? Need test on this.

Also, the high ratio would keep redestributing the balance of power as the Spice goes.

Am I clear ? :)

Ahh... I get it. We could actually make the entire Melange Fields shift in this way. Having the pollution cause Deserts to become Melange Fields and Melange Fields and Jungles becoming Deserts. The only problem I have is explaining how population size and production causes the effect.

As to the Melange ressource I very much like the idea... :)

Originally posted by Amenhotep7
... An erg is a vast expanse of sandy desert. So I'd guess that there is a difference...
So should I rename the Deep Desert terrain to Erg instead?

No, the terrain of the Funeral Plains/Deep Desert is only known and never recorded by the Fremen. Deep Desert...Well, I don't see a difference between Erg and Deep Desert, so there you go...I think we should use the same terrain for both. :)

Yes, but should the name be Erg or Deep Desert. Personally I would go for Erg, since it is being used in the book.

A little off-topic, but : Does anyone know a good screenshoot maker, working either under dos or with dos.
I'd like to make a advisor with the graphics of Dune 1 (Cryo) but I can't find a good tool.

Top Bottom