1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valka D'Ur, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Your own feces don't have any germs in them that you don't already have in you. And your digestive track kills a lot of them.

2. Samson

Samson Deity

Spoiler Yeah, gross but important :
    Anal fissures kind of do get infected a lot. If you get a similar cut anywhere else it heals, anal fissures heal much slower as they are always getting infected. Hemorrhoids while intact still have the layers of intestinal/venous wall between the fecal matter and "inside", and even then are worse than varicose veins which they are a bit like. Once they start breaking then it can be really a bit serious.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

While true, it doesn't help with this issue. If basically anything gets into the blood stream, it will cause issues. Or anywhere else. Your gut microbiota is good and well in your gut. Your mouth microbiota is good and well in your mouth. Your skin microbiota etc. But if they get anywhere else, then there's a good chance that they'll cause problems.

Birdjaguar and Samson like this.
  4. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

Moderator Action: If any of you are wondering where the discussion on whether Trump will actually leave office after the election went to, it is located here.

5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

How do you properly clean a pastry brush? I used it to dab butter over some pretzel rolls and now I'm wondering how to clean them properly without getting too rough and possibly pulling the bristles out.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I bought a plastic brush because they're easier to clean and I don't have to worry about the bristles coming off and getting in my food. It's marginally less effective than hair-based brushes but it's spotless instead of a germ factory.

Other than that, if you soak it in boiling water for a minute or two that should sterilize it if not clean it.

Birdjaguar and Ajidica like this.
  7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Try lemon juice if you get it oily, other than that, warm water lots of soap?

Birdjaguar, tjs282 and Ajidica like this.
  8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Does anyone know a good online platform for learning and playing Go, Backgammon or Shogi?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Go is a great game, but I cannot offer you any advice on websites to learn it. :(

10. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Way back in the early Noughts, I used Yahoo Games to play backgammon online against other people. The platform still appears to be in use:

https://www.y8.com/tags/yahoo

Although multiplayer backgammon is still there, searching for "Go" just resulted in a bunch of (crappy-looking) Flash games with the word 'go' in the title, and "Shogi" got no hits.

Also, I have no idea how well it's curated these days, or whether there are player-ladders, etc. You probably also need to have a Yahoo user-account to access it (I do, still, but my user-ID is my real name, because it came from the browser-email address I set up while I was travelling).

The_J likes this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

If you take a bike tire off to replace the inner tube and tread, do you have to readjust the brakes after replacing it? I have rim brakes if that makes a difference.

12. CKS

CKS Deity

I never have had to. Just give them a squeeze and make sure they still grab evenly.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Run it through the dishwasher if you have one. Let is soak in some dishwashing soap and water if you don't.

14. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

You have to unhinge the brakes to get the tyre out, but that's about it. Dont forget to link everything together again else you got no brakes.
    I'd also check the wear and clean the calipers maybe put some oil where the are mounted so they rotate with ease.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

Is there some sort of rating for cookers? I mean how hot full is in the oven, and how quickly they will boil water on a hob?

I have always bought second hand, and have noticed they vary somewhat. I got a new one about 2 years ago, and it has just broken and never got as hot as most I have had, and loads less hot than my last one. Assuming it cannot be fixed, I would like to get one that is powerful, but I cannot see any such rating on the web sites.
    [EDIT] I notice that cookers from NEFF seem to go for 2 to 10 times the price of others, so there must be some better than others, but I cannot work out in what way.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  16. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

What do you mean by "cooker"? Stoves?

17. Samson

Samson Deity

The thinks with a hob, oven and optionally a grill. This sort of thing (this is in an auction tomorrow, currently £22):

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Where does the name 'blood plasma' come from? Specifically, when it was named plasma, was there any connection to the state of matter plasma?

19. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I did a google and found this:
    https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_difference_between_plasma_blood_and_plasma_physics

hobbsyoyo, Ajidica and The_J like this.
  20. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Probably varies by country. We have a consumer advice rating here we use.

Samson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.