1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump explained - because you all are blind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Naskra, May 19, 2017.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Nope, we can't afford to take the chance. We need to deport them all until we figure out what's going on.

Leonel likes this.
  2. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Give me 1/100th of Trump's money and I'll get an attractive woman who doesn't look like the sexual fantasy of a particularly dull-witted 7th grader.

Also, electing Trump to stick it to a few annoying university staffers and Tumblr extremists makes as much sense as burning your house to the ground to get rid of a small mouse infestation.

Though I do agree, generally speaking, that Trump has shown how much of a joke our political culture has become.

mrt144 likes this.
  3. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

A lot of people didn't like the way things currently are. Then a troll showed up, made fools out of the political and media establishment, and was then given the opportunity to run against the living epitome of that disliked establishment. America's id faced America's ego, and the ego should have won if it were a fair system, but instead the id got its way, because it's the id and it usually wins such contests. Just try stopping yourself from eating something you want but don't want to want. You'll succeed sometimes, but normally you'll fail.

The fact that a troll was elected president also suggests to me that the internet invaded RL. I don't think this sort of outcome was possible before the internet in general, and newer social media platforms in particular, made both living in your own little reality bubble and trolling everyone outside your bubble so easy and popular.

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Yet none of this would have happened if he wasn't running against such an unpopular candidate. Obviously he didn't win out of merit but reaction to known crap, yet that doesn't make the known crap less crap, so i hope the next presidents wont be from the same pool of waste :/

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  6. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Obama was excoriated in his first term for asking for Dijon mustard to put on his hot dog, so I don't really know if this argument holds much water....

7. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One

There is this backwards understanding of politics that the presidency is not about the guy who is president winning but the country winning. But you know, self-entitled butthurts are gonne wine instead of pulling themselves up.
    I heard Trump may get rid of food stamps? I think we can all agree loosers shouldn't be rewarded. Trump gets that. Instead that money can stay with the winners who actually have earned it by winning.
    I really hate loosers. Who wants to hang with them? Only other loosers who can not hang out with winners.
    A winner president for winners. It's beautiful. Finally America is about winning, again. And winning is greatness. Make America for the winners again!

8. metatron

metatron unperson

Well, with Ms. Clinton's young face it should have been possible to find a better husband, too.

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Ahhh, the real underlying motive for wealth redistribution exposed!!

Hygro likes this.
  10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Trump shoved the guy from Montenegro out of the way, what a jackass

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

American greatness personified.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

he is the quintessential 'ugly american'

13. Kyriakos

Well, it looks really nasty...

WTF :/

That said, is Montenegro in Nato? Or is it some kind of "special status" country?

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  15. metatron

metatron unperson

Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more.

I am reasonably confident that Montenegrins are more concerned with whether the guy will bring down your republic, and what happens if he does.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  16. Kyriakos

See how they are all laughing. POSs :shake:

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Haha I've already borrowed this for a RL convo

El_Machinae likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I've been saying this for a while now. I also think the election of Trump was the beginning of a new era in American politics. One in which the biggest troll or the candidate that is supported by the largest number of trolls will win the election. If that is the case, get ready for a series of Trump-like presidents from both the Democrats and Republicans.

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

There is still a negative bias in the press against Trump, whether it is warranted or not. I forget what I was watching, but they broke down the percentages of reports with a positive slant and ones with a negative slant for Bill Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump. The three former were all pretty even in terms of positive and negative slant while Trump is currently sitting at 80% negative, 20% positive.

20. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

It's not just trolls that are popular on the internet, though. Bernie-style candidates are popular too, by attacking the establishment in a non-trollish way. It's just that Chomsky's media paradigm, where the same group of elites controls politics and public opinion through mass media, is breaking down. You can watch this in real time by reading the NYT or WaPo - they're horrified that they no longer control much of public discourse.

But now that information (and disinformation) spreads in a decentralized way, it's anyone's guess what happens next, except that the people who win will be the type that are good at techniques that appeal to internet users. Sometimes the result will be trolls, sometimes genuine reformists, sometimes Chavez-style demagogues, sometimes the more social-media savvy members of the old elite, sometimes tech gurus. This time it happened to be a troll, but all of the others are possible future outcomes. And that's what terrifies the NYT Editorial Board and similar bastions of old media: it's not just that Trump is outrageous, it's that the whole system of political-media power is collapsing.

Who knows what type of character will pop up next? The only thing I know is that the Dem and GOP establishments won't be able to put up a Clinton and a Bush (or surrogates thereof) and tell people to choose between them after a pro forma primary ever again. Presidential elections from now on will be interesting, and they will favor people who are good at building their internet and TV personas so as to be entertaining, while disfavoring technocrats who know their policy but don't come across well in public.

Watching Trump at the GOP clown car debates was like watching an invasive species get into an island ecosystem. Trump grasped two things: first, that American politics really is a form of reality TV, and second, that all the other politicians are really bad (i.e. unentertaining) reality TV actors. Once he used his fame and money to get on the island, he was able to eat all the flightless birds that had evolved because there had been no large predators - just little pecking order contests among each other - and flying was unnecessary. But then a ship landed and some feral cats got out...

Hrothbern likes this.