Brexit Thread V - The Final Countdown?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They 'd still have nukes. The trident is just about nukes carried in unknown location, in the subs.

Yeah but can they do anything other than blowing themselves up? They don't have strategic bombers. Do they have lauch silos on land?

Send it by mail perhaps?

I think it would be kind of cool to be the first state to give up nuclear weapons for reasons that are not extremely racist.
Ukraine has you beat to it, I guess.
And I doubt they think it was "cool" in retrospect.

They dont have launch silos?!
No, the UK's nuclear deterrent is entirely submarine-launched. Originally, in the 1950s and 1960s, the nuclear force was made up of free-fall bombs delivered by the so-called "V bombers", but maintaining Polaris, Trident, and land-based bombers was too expensive, so it was all pared down until Trident was the only program left. All free-fall bombs have been dismantled, and silos were never constructed.

The Americans deployed GLCMs to two RAF bases in the 1980s, but those don't use ballistic missile silos.

Given the strength of the opposition to Trident, it's very hard to imagine spending even more money to purchase land for and build silos as a replacement for the submarine-based nuclear program.

English views about keeping the trident/similar (their running four subs equipped with nuclear missiles) are pretty ridiculous. They argue that these are needed to ensure retaliation if uk is hit by iran, best korea or similar. Indeed, because if those states wanted to full on attack the west they would focus their hit on england- got to neutralise that first or risk losing the war.
I think it would be kind of cool to be the first state to give up nuclear weapons for reasons that are not extremely racist.
They 'd still have nukes. The trident is just about nukes carried in unknown location, in the subs.
And yet again I have to point out that it is a US-owned, UK-operated nuclear deterrent. The UK cannot fire without US authorisation and pays the US a lot of money every year to have nuclear weaponry, and yet I don't see innonimatu bawling about imperialism and extortion on this account.

And yet again I have to point out that it is a US-owned, UK-operated nuclear deterrent. The UK cannot fire without US authorisation and pays the US a lot of money every year to have nuclear weaponry, and yet I don't see innonimatu bawling about imperialism and extortion on this account.
France may be subdued to the great illuminati plot of Brussels, but it can still press on the big red button :nuke: without asking anyone. :smug:

And yet again I have to point out that it is a US-owned, UK-operated nuclear deterrent. The UK cannot fire without US authorisation and pays the US a lot of money every year to have nuclear weaponry,

Was that not the normal construction for US nukes in the NATO ?
What I know:
The nuke heads of the Honest John and later the nuke shells of the 8 inch howitzers (and I guess for the 155 mm howitzers as well) were stored in Germany in bases guarded by US military, and that again surrounded guarded by German, Dutch etc military.
When it would come to deployment, the nuclear artillery units operated by European NATO partners, would send their special logistic units to pick these warheads up (and only got them ofc when so desired by the US).

I guess the Trident submarines differ only in that sense, that they need those warheads on board. But who knows there is always an US officer on board as well in charge of that authorisation to deploy them.

"If the United States were to withdraw their cooperation completely, the UK nuclear capability would probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years".
Not only are Britain's Trident missiles in a common pool shared with the US and maintained in Kings Bay, Georgia, its nuclear warheads are designed and maintained at the Atomic Weapons Establishment at Aldermaston with the help of US know-how, as recently declassified documents on the UK-US Mutual Defence Agreement confirmed.
Tuesday's report noted: "The UK is dependent on the United States for many component parts of the guidance and re-entry vehicle, and for the Tridentballistic missile system itself".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/defence-and-security-blog/2014/jul/01/trident-nuclear-weapons-uk

France may be subdued to the great illuminati plot of Brussels, but it can still press on the big red button :nuke: without asking anyone. :smug:

I love the complexity of the metaphor, that's an English actor playing a German madman working for the US government.

Thank you, this is relevant. Obviously I object to references to "conspiracy theories", unless you can demonstrate that any conspiracy was theorized about.

On those guidelines officially approved by the European Council, and on which basis the negotiating team of the EU should have worked, I have the following comments to make:

2. ...In accordance with the principle that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, individual items cannot be settled separately.

How is this compatible with the demand made by the EU team that the irish border issue and the "exit payment" or "financial settlement" issue must be agreed upon first, before anything was was discussed?
Months were wasted due to that demand by the EU team, who refused to discuss other subjects.
My opinion is that in taking such a position the EU team in the negotiations willfully violated one of the guidelines set by the EC council and approved by the governments of the member countries. This was the brussels bureaucracy taing over and distorting the mandate that it had been given.

6. ...negotiations may also seek to determine transitional arrangements which are in the interest of the Union and, as appropriate, to provide for bridges towards the foreseeable framework for the future relationship in the light of the progress made. Any such transitional arrangements must be clearly defined, limited in time, and subject to effective enforcement mechanisms.

Hos is the withdrawal agreement proposed by the EU, with an nonnegotiable clause demanding the "Irish backstop" deliberately with no limit in time, compatible with this point of the mandate they had to negotiate? It isn't. It is another violation of what they were approved to do.

10. A single financial settlement - including issues resulting from the MFF as well as those related to the European Investment Bank (EIB), the European Development Fund (EDF) and the European Central Bank (ECB) - should ensure that the Union and the United Kingdom both respect the obligations resulting from the whole period of the UK membership in the Union. The settlement should cover all commitments as well as liabilities, including contingent liabilities.

As you should know if you read the withdrawal agreement, what the EU team demanded was not at all "a single financial settlement" but a series of variable settlements, to be decided and paid for over a very lengthy (and not defined) period of time. In other words, ongoing contributions to the EU budget by the UK.

11. The Union has consistently supported the goal of peace and reconciliation enshrined in the Good Friday Agreement in all its parts, and continuing to support and protect the achievements, benefits and commitments of the Peace Process will remain of paramount importance. In view of the unique circumstances on the island of Ireland, flexible and imaginative solutions will be required, including with the aim of avoiding a hard border, while respecting the integrity of the Union legal order. In this context, the Union should also recognise existing bilateral agreements and arrangements between the United Kingdom and Ireland which are compatible with EU law.

So the mandate was to find a "flexible solution" and to "recognize existing bilateral agreements". Which, just so happened to be a possible solution. How did the EU team go from this to the "we absolutely need Northern Ireland to be under EU law, non negotiable" demand?

Now do you understand why I ask exactly who on the EU side made the decisions? What the governments approved, what the european parliament discussed and initially voted on, had little to do with what was demanded and is now said to be the one possible deal. Someone took that mandate, made additional demands and in some cases outright contradicted what it was supposed to achieve. The president of the European Comission? Or his secretary while he was too drunk to put together a proposal? Or Barnier? Who made the choices, and whether the choices were what the governments of the countries had actually approved, is very relevant. If you want a "conspiracy theory", my "conspiracy theory" is that what was actually done (the negotiations and the withdrawal agreement put forth) did not follow the guidelines and were imposed as a fait accompli for EU governments then to agree to lest they be branded spoilers. The unelected bureaucrats how handled this violated the mandate they had but counted on no one daring to later rock the boat and point it out.

I have a life you know? :D If I were to condemn all thinsg imperialist I wouldn't have time for anything else. And this thread is about brexit not the UK nuclear deterrent. Which is indeed in practice tribute to the US MIC.

On those guidelines officially approved by the European Council, and on which basis the negotiating team of the EU should have worked, I have the following comments to make:

How is this compatible with the demand made by the EU team that the irish border issue and the "exit payment" or "financial settlement" issue must be agreed upon first, before anything was was discussed?
Months were wasted due to that demand by the EU team, who refused to discuss other subjects.
My opinion is that in taking such a position the EU team in the negotiations willfully violated one of the guidelines set by the EC council and approved by the governments of the member countries. This was the brussels bureaucracy taing over and distorting the mandate that it had been given.

Its EU fault that the EU has all these trained trade negotiators and the UK had non because, UK all resigned knowing what was about to happen
Then the UK got hosed by EU veterans negotiators who knew what they were doing

The EU negotiators spent a lot of time trying to get the UK negotiators up to speed because they were so in-experienced.
Including trying to educate the UK what it would mean to fall back on WTO rules making sure that the clueless UK negotiators were passing information up the chain to the UK government.

The EU negotiators know what they are doing, EU and UK must negotiate the initial Brexit severing the treaties BEFORE they start on the trade negotiations which would take many years. The EU was trying to help the UK from shooting itself (more)

Last edited:
English views about keeping the trident/similar (their running four subs equipped with nuclear missiles) are pretty ridiculous. They argue that these are needed to ensure retaliation if uk is hit by iran, best korea or similar. Indeed, because if those states wanted to full on attack the west they would focus their hit on england- got to neutralise that first or risk losing the war.

Its just a status symbol, a way to justify having our seat on the Security Council and pretend we are still a major power.

Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey have left Labour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47278902

How long before Conservative MPs join them.

From Sarah Wollaston MP

#BLUKIP has been busy taking over the Tory Party alongside the ERG. Soon there will be nothing left at all to appeal to moderate centre ground voters

Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey have left Labour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47278902

How long before Conservative MPs join them.

From Sarah Wollaston MP

A brave but politically bad decision IMO. If i was choosing a system i would have:

- This new group made up of moderates from labour and tories - this group would absorb the Liberals
- All Brexit tories should join with Farage in his new party
- Labour rremain under Corbyn and concentrate primarily in London and the north.

But it would need PR to work. And we dont have it. I lament at the AV vote even more now. As any sort of move like this is destined to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom