Dune Scenario Questions

dduffy

Chieftain
I'm working on a Civ 3 scenario set on planet Arrakis of Frank Herbert's Dune. The map is large and accurately portrays the map at the back of the book. The ten civilizations are listed below, followed by their Civ3 analogues, respective leaders, governments and capital cities:

1. Bene Gesserit (Egyptians)
Proctor Gaius Helen Mohaim
Mysticism (new)
Chapter House

2. House Atreides (Greeks)
Duke Leto I
Atreides Honor (democracy)
Arakeen

3. The Ixians (Japanese)
Inquisitor Malky
Technocracy (Communism)
Ix

4. House Corrino (Persians)
Emperor Shaddam IV
Corrino Imperialism (Monarchy)
Salusa Secundus

5. Bene Tleilaxu (Aztecs)
Master Scytale
Technocracy (Communism)
Tlielax

6. The Cast Out - aka Evil Fremen (Zulu)
Naib Muriz
Council of Naibs (Republic)
Sietch Jacarutu

7. House Harkonnen (Mongols)
Baron Vladimer Harkonnen
Harkonnen Terror (Despotism)
Carthag

8. The Fremen (Arabs)
Naib Stilgar
Sietch Tabr

9. The Smugglers (Carthaginians)
Naib Esmar Tuek
Tuek's Sietch

10. The Spacing Guild (Koreans)
Navigator Edric
Technocracy (Communism)
Tupile Station

Each civ has its own list of leaders (Fenring, Paul Muad'dib, Alia of the Knife, Rabban, Feyd, Lady Jessica, Thuffir Hawat, Bijaz, Gurney Halleck, Duncan Idaho, Otheym, Miles Teg, Darwi - and many, many more)

A brand new tech tree has been created including: space folding, shigawire, inkvine, elacca drug, shield generators, winged thopter flight, baliset, judge of the change, proces verbal, truth trance, maker hooks, battle language, gom jabbar, glow globe, weirding way, proces verbal, water rings, assassin's handbook, lasgun, death still - and many, many more. Each tech is assigned to a particular branch: imperial tech, desert tech, human tech and forbidden tech, making up the tech tree. In keeping with the lack of techical advancemtn in the Dunivers ("thou shalt not make a machine with the mind of a man!"), technical advance is very slow and impossible to steal - the Harkonnens are not going to learn to ride worms.

Terrain includes ergs (desert, of course), basins (plains), palmyries (grasslands), ice cap (the single north pole square), and shield wall (mountains). Natural resources include kulons (horses), plasteel (iron),
pre-spice mass (oil), semuta (incense), sapho juice (dye), etc.

City improvements each have a Dune designation: castle (palace), training room (barracks), sook (market place), area shield (city wall), mentat school (university), spice refinery (manufacturiong plant), suk school (hospital), etc. Wonders great and small are also represented: Dune tarot (oracle), CHOAM directorship (trading company), landsraad (united nations), family atomics (Manhattan project), houses minor (Wall Street), etc.

Units (which are still to be done) will include fedaykin, fremen warriors, worm riders, pillar of fire, sarduakar, harkonnen mercs, atreides swordmasters, light (unshielded) thopter, heavy (shielded) thopters, carryalls, artillery, armored cars, lasgun infantry, pyons, terraformers, slave labor, etc. Unfoirtunately, I am completely lacking in artistic skill and have trouble drawing stick figures.

Which brings me to my first question: Is there anyone here who could create Dune units for me: sword/knife weilding infantry, rampaging worms, thopters with flapping wings. etc? From my readings of the books, foot soldiers resemble martial artists fighting with blades while being protected by force shields (or not, in the case of the Fremen). Thopter aircraft resemble insects (dragonfly is a good choice) or massive beetles (carryalls).

Those interested in a more in-depth analysis of warfare in the Dune universe can see my article at:
http://www.dune2k.com/?page=community-articles&show=warfare

My second question involves copyright issues. The Herbert estate (aka House Herbert) is notoriously touchy about copyright infringements. Will the publication of this scenario result in legal action and will I find myself in deep kimchi if I release it (even for free)?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks for all your help ahead of time.
Dduffy

First of all welcome to CFCs!

Nice backround and ideas for a scenario.

About your questions...I think chances are good to find someone who create the units.Just post arequest in the main Custom./Creation area (this thread would be better there, too - this is the forum for completed scenarios.)
I don't think there are copyright problems, as long as you don't take graphics or sounds from existing products.Here are many scenarios which use the backround of famous stories etc.

The Space Guild shouldn't be a civ of his own. At the Muadib period, they were way too powerful for that. You could implement them as tech, special unit or wonder.

Top Bottom