1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Insects MOD (Discussion & unit preview)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Supa, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

First, let me say this is a scenario/mod proposition. I don't wish to complete it only by myself. So, if you want to jump on the train, do it. :)

The idea is quite simple. A new MOD with social insects as civilizations: Ants, Bee, Termites. Each civilization will integrate any interesting family and species, meaning that in the Ants civ, you will find the common Lasius niger, the "red" Formica rufa, the leafcutting Atta, the legionary ant, etc fusionned in one symbolic civ.

Units preview

Each would have its own tech three, unless you've got a idea for partially shared tech tree.

A minor and unplayable civ could be added : The Spiders. No settler, but with strong HN units. It would be a pest for the playable civs.

(Spider units by Kinboat)

So.. Is anyone interested in playing it or/and modding it ?

2. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I suggest that the nuclear weapon replacement be a humongous human foot that descends from the heavens to crush the puny bugs. :D

3. Flamand

Flamand The Visible Elder!

What a cool idea, I would definitely play it. And I second the human foot nuke! :lol:

Is that ant already fully animated? The Fallout mod could use one of those and it would save me one unit to animate... :D

4. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I would like to jump off the train... I hate insects!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to die!!!!
    Make a human civ in your mod (to fight the insects) and I'll play it :).
    Otherwise I'm so disgusted by insects that I'll never play.

Ok, I really like the units here, I don't want to offend anybody, I think it's a funny idea.

Also I would go for the human foot nuke.

5. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Héhé. I'm afraid that Humans won't make it as a Civ in the game. Perhaps someone would be interested in making a "Them!" scenario for you. ;-)

Human foot. Hum, as much as I'd like a Monty Python reference, I don't think it would work. :lol: But what about replacing the plague by an Anti-Bugs spray ? I was thinking about an acarian invasion but the Spray could be better for it.

Flamand > What, you don't want to animate those 6 little legs ? :eek: ;) Right now, only the run anim is finished but the unit will be finished. Now that the worst is done. :crazyeye:

6. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Hey, I wanna play this one! :) And those are sweet looking units :goodjob:

I say no nukes, nukes are for girls.

7. Flamand

I also have a scorpion on my to do list with 8 little legs, two claws and a tail... :crazyeye: And since you seem to be well underway already... I could always ask.. LOL

I think the foot would be easier to make than a bug spray... But why not both: one as tactical nuke and a regular nuke?

8. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Because : Can you see those insects hire an human to crush others insects ? Me neither. ;)

And I mentionned the Spray as a Plague, not a nuke.

About Fallout, you can of course use any units presented here unless you want them by tomorrow. :p

9. Fibber

Fibber City Hunter

I like. Just one question... what do you suggest for the equivalent of naval units??? There are waterskates but...

Also, I'd like to see a beetle civ (with atlas beetles, stag beetles, ladybirds etc etc.) and possibly a butterfly civ, though I can't imagine how they could possibly be deadly.

I'm really excited now!!!

Edit: As I posted I realised that this isn't going to be a straight translation so I suppose you just wouldn't have to have insects equivalent to naval units.

10. Flamand

I'll show this thread to Thorgrimm, see if he'd be interested in more than just the ant...

11. Stormrage

um, scorps have 6 legs... no?

12. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Fibber > I didn't think a lot about it yet. I was thinking about a small water lily or a leave for transport. And Fishes as barbarian :D
    Stormrage > Nope, like spiders, scorpions have 8 legs. They're arachnids, not insects.

13. Flamand

14. Stormrage

Wow, I always thought they had 6 legs and the pinchers, that making them 8 legged, like other arachnids are.. You learn something new every day :)

15. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

They've got eight walking legs and 2 "arms" (technically pedipalps) bearing claws.

16. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Question :

Should I make this Honey Pot a variant of the rufa Ant or should I stick with a more exotic (and truthful) look (Totaly yellow or black/yellow) ?

This is the rufa variant.

Attached Files:

17. Flamand

Is that a real ant? :eek: If so, I really pity the poor thing...
    I think natural looks are usually better...

18. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Yes, they're real. They are feeded at maximum capacity and their gastre (I don't know the english word) is stretched. They usually hang upside-down inside the hill (like this).

The two "natural looks" I was refering to :

Image 1 and Image 2

In game, I was thinking as an unit with 1 or 2 pop. point that can be produced at one hill and joined at another. Sort of Civ-2 Caravan. Human players advantage only, but fun anyway.

19. Stormrage

Um, they hand upside down and do what? They don`t look like workers, or warriors to me..

20. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error