Jurassic Park: 65 Million Years in the Making...

hi guys,

cracking site im a newbie at this can i ask where excatly the files go

Cheers

R

cheers m8

does this also work for civilization 3 just normal version not complete

it really looks cracking

I just played this scenario with the Humans. Huge fun, I must say, but I can't figure out exactly what I'm supposed to do.

Haven't read the books (actually playing made me want to read them) so maybe that's why I don't know where I'm supposed to go to flee the island.

Ok, love the mod, but playing as the humans I can take several buildings and once I research the first tech to upgrade Ellie Satler, Gennaro, and .......umm whatshisname, I can only upgrade the one unit!!! In civ editor, only the one unit is marked as "upgradeable". Familiar with EFZI, and units that upgrade, wasn't able to just change it there, said it was a read-only file and couldn't save. Anyway, DL awhile ago, so will DL again, and see if it's fixed, but didn't see anything on here about it. For examle, Dr. Ellie Satler cannot upgrade to Dr. Ellie Satler II. :( Anyway just wondering if this is something I can fix myself or if it needs to be done by the creator.

Although I'm a big fan of the first book and the first movie (the second book was okay, but the following movies were awful), I've never got around playing this scenario. I was lacking either the time, either Civilization III, either an Internet connexion. But that's over, now.

Obviously, I choose 'Jurassic Park' Civilization for my first play.

You're quite lost at the beginning. What to do, where to go ?

For Alan Grant's group, it's simple, you can only go north. But it's not so easy for Ellie's group ! I went south, saw 'The Big T-Rex', killed it with Ellie (woo girl!), but lost a car in the process. I went West next, trying to regroup Alan's and Ellie's teams. Oops! The T-Rex Den.. Not wanting to attack a T-Rex in its own turf, I went around it. The Little One didn't attack. North, again. Ah, the Parasaurolophus Den. Almost got killed here, but I managed to capture it and hole in there for a moment. I really needed it to heal my team: some raptors were closing in.

Meanwhile, Alan went North, fought a few Gallimimus, saw the Deinonychus Den and the Dock. Deinonychus Den seemed a little to hard for me for the moment.. The dock has at least one Raptor in it. I decided to go north again, to see if there isn't a better place to capture. I saw the Aviary unprotected ! One turn later, it was mine ! From there, I launched an attack with Tim and Grant against the Dock and captured it. The Aviary popped up a Cearadactylus. I thought the humans couldn't created any extinct reptils at all ? I wasn't able to move it, though. With their 5 points defenses, they're now guarding the Aviary while Tim and Lex keep the Dock and Grant tries to converge with Ellis' group in order to take down the Deinonychus Den.

[Playing]

Alan went North again and found the Northern Nest and the Hidden Lab. He managed to attack a Spinosaur going down the road. At last, I found out 'Get the Lights on'. I wanted to upgrade my Hero units with my newly rushed barracks... but I can't: I need ammo ! Better get that Survival tech to upgrade Alan and the kids.

Anyway, Ellie came to help and she took down the Hidden Lab. Some dinosaurs were coming from a west road and approached the Deinonychus Den and the Dock. The kids and Malcolm hold them off. Got lucky with Malcom. I'm becoming overstretched with my survivor team. I wonder if I should have disbanded some location instead of capturing them (it was a great move for my first EfZI2 session - burning down these pesty zombies locations and retreating to my safe houses).

The North of the Island has been in the back-burner. My locations built a few buildings, but I haven't made a move against the Dinosaurs yet. Perhaps I should take back these sweet checkpoints at the South-East.

[More on this later]

I really like this scenario. Gameplay-wise, it's quite fun: as I don't know where to go with my teams, I'm discovering the Isla Nublar as I was really lost in it. Some locations reminded me chapters of the book - good memories ! Graphics are great. This is really Jurassic Park. Great job Lord Malbeth.

I'm looking forward to be able to build/auto-produced some new units and develop a little more my territory.

Can't wait to continue my session.

I really like this scenario. Gameplay-wise, it's quite fun: as I don't know where to go with my teams, I'm discovering the Isla Nublar as I was really lost in it. Some locations reminded me chapters of the book - good memories ! Graphics are great. This is really Jurassic Park. Great job Lord Malbeth. Can't wait to continue my session.

Hey! I'm really glad to hear all of this! :) It was a lot of fun to make, and I'm a huge fan of the books/movies, so I tried to add as much of that atmosphere as I could! :) You'll have to thank Balthasar for the graphics, for they truly are amazing!

And totally post any more stories if you have any! Happy playing! :)

I forgot to mention an important thing in my last post: The sound. It's marvelous. You can't be more JP than that.

What happened next:

A huge wave of dinosaurs are coming through the mountainous west road. Plateosaurus, Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Little Tyrannosaurus.. Some are going to the recently captured 'Hidden Lab'.
More dinosaurs are coming from the South. I won't be able to defend both 'Parasaurolophus' and 'Deinonychus Pen'. I decide to Abandon 'Parasaurolophus' and get Gennaro back to 'Deinonychus Pen' to help out Malcolm against a Raptor 4.4 and 'The Little T-Rex'. Successful bombards frighten 'The Little T-Rex' but the Raptor 4.4 destroys another road. I'll have a lot of rebuilding to do. Gennaro follows the Little T-Rex and bombards him but he won't be able to kill him. Malcolm holds off the Deinonychus Pen alone against one Plateosaurus, one Allosaurus and one Raptor.

Meanwhile, a Stegosaurus comes trough the mountains near the Visitor Center. There is a passage there ? I may have to check that later. First, Grant and Ellie attack the Northern Nest. Ellie take it down alone. Ellie stays there and Grant goes to the Hidden Lab to guard it. I'm beginning to be severely overstretched. I need new blood ! I finally kill the Stegosaurus but I lose a Security in the process.

One raptor, one raptor 4.4 and the little T-Rex are attacking The Dock. I'm forced to abandon it in order to save Tim and Lex. I've never found out how to build a boat. The Little T-Rex attacks the kids... and is killed by Lex. Yeah !

Got a message: The Humans are building the 'Theory of Evolution'. Shouldn't the message say 'Biosyn employees are..' ?

Got 'Paradigm'. Can't upgrade Malcolm, though.

I finally declare war to Biosyn: Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler can't get back to the Deinonychus without apparently declaring war to an invisible Biosyn unit (?) [In fact, I could have gone back to the Pen.. but I took the wrong road]. I capture the East dock. I leave 'The Hidden Lab' and the 'Northern Nest' undefended. If an enemy unit comes by, I'll destroy the locations. Grant stays at the East Dock.

I have finally figure out I can get back Alan & co back to the Command Center: they can go down the North mountainous range.. But I won't be able to get back: I would need a road going to the mountains and I can't build one in the adjacent desert tiles.

I've made peace with Biosyn.. They had to give me their 'South Beach' location for it. Searched it in the map. Couldn't find it... It was hidden behind the JP door graphics. So, now, I have a stronghold on Costa Rica beach. Nice. ^^ I don't have any units to protect it, though.

Malcolm, Gennaro and Ellie go south, in order to capture some locations. The kids are left behind in the Deinonychus Pen. I captured the T-Rex Pen. Saw a Dinosaur Workman. I guess they must have captured him from Biosyn. :D

Found "The Escape". I now need to find all these resources. Ellie and Malcolm are going south, towards the Underground Bunker. I wonder if I need to capture 'Stegosaurus Pen' and decide not to. Grant follows a parallel road in the west.

I seem to have nothing left to research. I reduce research to 0%.

Alan finds the Hidden Nest, with an Alpha Velocirator named 'Tyrannosaurus Rex'. o_O Alan may have to come back with more firepower. Ellie and Ian continue their travel down. They see an Ankylosaurus 2Pen, the new Dinosaur capital. Alan, Ellie and Ian regroup and attack the Underground Bunker, defended by an Ankylosaurus. Hourra! It is captured. I can now build: car, conscript, armed artillery and missile battery. I can actually build 'Armed Artillery' for 0. I begin to build 'The Vet' in the Command Center, 'Temporary H.Q.' in T-Rex Pen and a few 'Workmen' here and there in order to rebuild all the destroyed roads. After the construction of a few Artillery, the Hidden Nest is captured. Ankylosaurus Pen and Stegosaurus Pen follow.. and I captured an enemy Gerry Harding ? :-D I rush two conscripts in each of them. I build a Cache on the Dock resource, you never know when it will be useful.

Meanwhile, a wave of Raptor 4.4 and Allosaurus are going from the East of T-Rex Pen and towards Deinonychus Pen. Gennaro, guarding T-Rex Pen, bombards them and the kids, at the Deino Pen, bombards and kill them. Wounded enemies run away.

Biosyn built in Costa Rica: Contact Electricity and Theory of Evolution.

My Hero team, backed-up by a few Artilleries, continues its campaign: Allosaurus Pen, Breeding Grounds and Triceratops Pen fall.

I lose an Oil resource near the Underground Bunker.

7 Biosyn Attack Raptors approach my South Beach location. With no units guarding it and no way to build one, I abandon it. They declare war and capture my lone workman.

I have 20 turns left until the end of the game. I have 713 points, the Dinosaurs 915 and Biosyn 210. I control 39% of the World and 56% of the population, Dinosaurs 14/25%. I have all my 9 king units, the Dinosaurs are down to one. Well, let's see how much land I can conquer. Alan, Ian, Ellie and their artilleries push east, while a group composed of Hammond, Muldoon, Arnold and 5 securities go to the North Gate.

I capture Torosaurus Pen, failed to take the North Gate and finally destroy the last Dinosaur King at Velociraptor Pen. Dinosaurs disappear from the map.

Time runs out and I win with a Score Victory!

By that time, I had 37 Caeradactylus in my Aviary. ^^

It was a very fun game. I almost lost a few times. The captured Underground bunker is really a life-saver. Being unable to build any units prior to its capture almost cost me the game when I realized I was overstretched and I wouldn't find any ammo in the east part of the Island.

Bugs:
Ellie Sattler, Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm, Donald Gennaro, Tim Murphy, Lex Murphy can't upgrade. Their 'Upgrade Unit' checkboxes aren't checked.
Robert Muldoon can't bombard: Operational Range of 0.
Ankylosaurus upgrades to Plateosaurus, Stegosaurus to Triceratops, Torosaurus to Robert Muldoon.
Anklyosaurus should be spelled Ankylosaurus.
Armed Artillery with a cost of 0.

Feedback/Suggestions:

Am I supposed to be able to build railroads ? It don't think that should be in this particular scenario. Right after I captured the Allosaurus Pen, I saw a railroad next to the location. I guess the Captured workman built it.

I don't know how to build a Supply Boat in the Dock. I control the Dock, I have 'The Dock' resource but I don't have any boat to build. I can't see anything wrong in the BIQ. Perhaps the lake is not large enough to allow sea-unit to be built ? I don't remember the limit, maybe the lake needs a few more tiles. In my current scenario, post-win, it seems I can't build the boat in the East-Dock. The Dock (location) has been destroyed but I built a Cache on it. The cache is connected by road (and railroad) to the East dock. [..] Okay, I see it now. 'Jurassic Park' Civ starts with no starting techs. It should start with 'InGen'. Same things for Humanity, The Dinosaurs and Biosyn.

What's the purpose of 'Ecology' ?

Am I supposed to get Cearadactylus when I control the Aviary ? Being unable to move them is a good thing. InGen might have been able to capture the Aviary, but they can't use Cearadactylus as they were soldiers.. However, any Dinosaurs or Biosyn units trying to sneak in would be attacked.

A lot of locations aren't that interesting to hold. Sometimes, the only interest to take down a particular location is to cut down enemy production. You don't really need the 'Hidden Lab', Deinonychus Pen, etc. Some could have a G.W. or a S.W. giving a particular bonus. I'm thinking 'Hidden Lab' could have a nice research bonus. Maybe some Dinosaurs could be auto-produced by some S.W. in some specific locations: it would be an additional incentive to capture a particular pen - no more Deinonychus Pen, no more Deinonychus.

If you abandon the Mountains location, your units there are stuck.

Destroyed City graphics don't really work here. Maybe another PCX can be created, based on the great InGen/Biosyn city graphics ?

Perhaps you should reduce the cost of the Temporary H.Q.: by the time I actually build it, I have no real use for it.

As I've mentioned, the inability to build any units with InGen is really harmful. Maybe a low-stats unit could be built or auto-produced: some JP employees/workers could be found hiding in various locations. Alternatively, the workman could have some att/def stats. That way, it couldn't be captured by Dinosaurs and it could help defend some locations.

That's it! Once again, it's a great scenario. I will definitely play it again.

Am I supposed to be able to build railroads ? It don't think that should be in this particular scenario. Right after I captured the Allosaurus Pen, I saw a railroad next to the location. I guess the Captured workman built it.

I'll try to fix that. No, you shouldn't be able to play with railroads. :\

I don't know how to build a Supply Boat in the Dock.

This was a bug... I need to fix it. I forgot to place a resource!

What's the purpose of 'Ecology' ?

It's a filler tech. I'll try to add something to it to make it worthwhile. Any ideas?

Am I supposed to get Cearadactylus when I control the Aviary?

Opps, yeah, that's a bug. I'll fix it! ASAP!

A lot of locations aren't that interesting to hold. Sometimes, the only interest to take down a particular location is to cut down enemy production. You don't really need the 'Hidden Lab', Deinonychus Pen, etc. Some could have a G.W. or a S.W. giving a particular bonus. I'm thinking 'Hidden Lab' could have a nice research bonus. Maybe some Dinosaurs could be auto-produced by some S.W. in some specific locations: it would be an additional incentive to capture a particular pen - no more Deinonychus Pen, no more Deinonychus.

Good idea. I really need to work on the Wonders in this scenario. I like your ideas about animals having specific pens.

If you abandon the Mountains location, your units there are stuck.

Fixed!

Destroyed City graphics don't really work here. Maybe another PCX can be created, based on the great InGen/Biosyn city graphics ?

Spoiler :
Balthasar... Please? :D

Perhaps you should reduce the cost of the Temporary H.Q.: by the time I actually build it, I have no real use for it.

This has been halved.

As I've mentioned, the inability to build any units with InGen is really harmful.

Successfully changed. They now have a meager attack of 4, and a pitiful defense of 1. Hopefully this will help! :)

And Supa's Apatosaurus needs to be added in!

I agree! I'll get onto that immediately! BTW, thanks Supa for all of this! :)

OK, hopefully, I'll get an update out soon.

Apatosaurus will also have an update in the upcoming week or so. Civ3Flc speed bug tricked me again.

[inability to build the boat] This was a bug... I need to fix it. I forgot to place a resource!

Actually, the resource is on the map but JP civ don't have the tech allowing it.

Perhaps you should leave the ability for humans to auto-produce unmovable Cearadactylus: The Aviary has been repaired and is now up-and-running. Any enemy units visiting the Aviary is attacked by the hostile flying reptiles, like in the first book.

Lord Malbeth, you might want to check this. Although it was made first for my own enjoyment, you're free to take anything you like for an official release.

If you're going to update the scenario, you could have the 'Triceratops' upgrades to 'Torosaurus'. Recently, John Scannella (Scannella, John B. 2009. And then there was one: synonymy consequences of Triceratops cranial ontogeny. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology. 29 (3): 177A.) proposed that Torosaurus specimens might be older Triceratops, with an elongated frill and new holes to compensate added weight.

If you were trying to make your request subtle and unobtrusive you succeeded admirably; I almost missed it. I've already got some ideas; stay tuned.

HaHa, opps! Well at least I got the message across! Now I'm really excited! ;)

Supa said:
Lord Malbeth, you might want to check this. Although it was made first for my own enjoyment, you're free to take anything you like for an official release.

Oo! Yes, I like those leaderheads A LOT! I think I might have to snag them. ;) Thanks a ton BTW! :)

Just tried the scenario a few times, and there are a few things that bothers me:

- First I didn't know what to do with the 2 scattered groups. Kids got eaten by a tyrannosaurus, a car got stomped (but the other killed the t-rex) and I manage to escape with those guys. Even when I knew what to do I had to remove one of the raptors from the dock to make it possible. And I couldn't get a boat finished either, so I reduced it's cost to 1 shield and made it sink in ocean, made a 2 step ocean gap from the sea route to the other island. Also made Alan and the kids faster (movement 2) to make it possible to outrun the dinos and take the dock in time.

- Railroad was still buildable (even for dinos). Removed that in editor. Workers were very confused when given my favourite command "automate this city only", probably because of impassable mountains.

- Impossible to win domination victory due to not getting 66% of the map. Reduced that to 55% (entire island).

- Needed shells to upgrade the units (i.e. to have any chance of survival). Removed that, since I got pwned early by raptors from the south each game.

- The invisible company bodyguards are truely annoying. Reduced the initial ones to conscripts and made the AI strategy for Dennis "King" (he was attacking my cities otherwise).

- Am confused about the flag units in the southwest mountains. Not intended to be possible to pick them up?

- Seems like all techs take 30 turns to complete. Maybe lowering the cost of some? Or increasing maximum time for techs? Otherwise it's no use to have anything but 10% research. Also, I was able to research the corporate darwinism, revolt and build the brain-spawning facility. Yuck.

Other than that, I think it's a great scenario, I really like this type of scenarios. Nicely done :)

Just tried the scenario a few times, and there are a few things that bothers me:

- First I didn't know what to do with the 2 scattered groups. Kids got eaten by a tyrannosaurus, a car got stomped (but the other killed the t-rex) and I manage to escape with those guys. Even when I knew what to do I had to remove one of the raptors from the dock to make it possible. And I couldn't get a boat finished either, so I reduced it's cost to 1 shield and made it sink in ocean, made a 2 step ocean gap from the sea route to the other island. Also made Alan and the kids faster (movement 2) to make it possible to outrun the dinos and take the dock in time.

- Railroad was still buildable (even for dinos). Removed that in editor. Workers were very confused when given my favourite command "automate this city only", probably because of impassable mountains.

- Impossible to win domination victory due to not getting 66% of the map. Reduced that to 55% (entire island).

- Needed shells to upgrade the units (i.e. to have any chance of survival). Removed that, since I got pwned early by raptors from the south each game.

- The invisible company bodyguards are truely annoying. Reduced the initial ones to conscripts and made the AI strategy for Dennis "King" (he was attacking my cities otherwise).

- Am confused about the flag units in the southwest mountains. Not intended to be possible to pick them up?

- Seems like all techs take 30 turns to complete. Maybe lowering the cost of some? Or increasing maximum time for techs? Otherwise it's no use to have anything but 10% research. Also, I was able to research the corporate darwinism, revolt and build the brain-spawning facility. Yuck.

Other than that, I think it's a great scenario, I really like this type of scenarios. Nicely done :)

Wow... It really has taken 30 million years for me to respond to this...

Yeah, this scenario has some bugs. Unfortunately, after two virus hits, my Civ abilities have been lowered quite a bit... :( It sounds like you got most of the issues fixed though by just tinkering with the scenario in the editor! :goodjob: One of these days I need to go back and re-tweak everything and make it all nice again...

Top Bottom