• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ratha (Indian Chariot) Project

My feelings about the Ratha unit project

• I'm likely to USE this unit but can’t help the project

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • I can CONTRIBUTE skills/computer time to the project

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I'm willing to COORDINATE a major section of the project

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I think the whole proposal is Lame / IMPOSSIBLE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You should follow some therapy. Your sense or priorities is all messed up :p
Hahahaha! I wish I could spend every single night happily alternating between GIMP and Blender for the myriad things I'd love to do, but now's not the time :(
No one has denied the current model is Takhisis' wip. The project as a whole, otoh, ... ;)
Excuse me? :huh:

When this unit is finally released, someone ought to make the story behind its construction!
I could add it to a certain CivFanátikúrSaga as something wrought by the artificers at Trelunð…

When this unit is finally released, someone ought to make the story behind its construction!
There are some sorely missed creators like Quinzy & Michaelus who will deserve prominent mention.

Excuse me? :huh:
That's some nice CnP work there. As a look at the "threads started by" section of your personal profile page will demonstrate to anyone.

If you did that, you'd get this:
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
:joke:

My fingers itch. If I hadn't visitors coming over tomorrow I could be wasting an afternoon on a two-wheeled chariot model. As Steph said, I should get my priorities set straight.

common people make that chariot already, i have grown long beard 5 times till now....how can we endure anylonger without a proper indian line...........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dubious:

I have a copy of the model and I believe Blue Monkey has one as well. The model includes the chariot (with pennant); a crewman; some props: a short sword, a bow, an arrow, a quiver with more arrows, a belt, and a kilt; also a horse and yoke.

As for texturing, Blue was gonna do that, if you want to do it for him then you could give it a try, but be warned that we're both perfectionists. And we work on strange schedules. Like mad. Still, if you're interested… Blender allows for exporting to .obj or .3ds files if you need it.

Mr Goldfish, please post in English and try and contribute to the thread, won't you?

The crewman is the paperdoll - that was the easiest way to get the proportions correct. Pretty simple to create a file with only the ratha.

The most recent version I have has the wheel/axle assembly separate. Better for animation I was told. Takhisis, if you have it handy post it.

The main reason I have yet to texture it is finding an uninterrupted block of time to make the UV map to apply the textures to. Finding the right spots for the seams on a complex model can take some concentrated patience.

I would prefer the chariot alone, it would be easier for me to animate it
Without the people and the props? It'd be a bit troublesome, we want one with all the stuff on it. I think I've misunderstood you…
The crewman is the paperdoll - that was the easiest way to get the proportions correct. Pretty simple to create a file with only the ratha.

The most recent version I have has the wheel/axle assembly separate. Better for animation I was told. Takhisis, if you have it handy post it.

The main reason I have yet to texture it is finding an uninterrupted block of time to make the UV map to apply the textures to. Finding the right spots for the seams on a complex model can take some concentrated patience.
Yes, that's the sort of patience I lack right now. :(

it'd be a lot easier for me to just the poser horses and paperdoll I already have and put them on a chariot prop.
I would probably change the props because I am interested in an ancient historical Indian chariot.
But I understand if you don't want to release it for other purposes.

Chariot, no horses or paperdoll, what about the rest of the props?

Do you want the chariot to be one big lump or to be separated into a lot of pieces? If the latter, which? I've separated the wheels and a couple others.

I don't need the props, I plan to use Kinboat's or Utah's bow (for continuity), the katar was a medieval weapon (I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this is an ancient or mythical chariot, but if you want one with the katar I can make another version, and I might use the katar for some medieval Indian units)

I need the wheels to be able to spin, so I guess that should be separate. Also I don't need the flag unless it can morph in poser.

Also the piece that connects the horses to the chariot I would like separate to use on other chariots.

thank you

Bow is definitely the weapon of choice. Katar not needed here.

This post has the fullest description of the ideal (including a potential upgrade line). It's a long post. Summarized:

This is a historic unit. Images of bas-relief, etc. are available.

There should be two crew - an archer & the driver.

There can be either 2 or 4 horses.

A possible victory animation would be for the crew to blow conches. Post with picture. Can provide possible sounds if you decide to do this.

It would be nice to see the arya symbol as part of the decor. This could be a good way to include civ color. The significance is that it is the Sanskrit for what the ancient North Indians called themselves. Incorporating the design as decoration provides a place for civ-color and emphasizes the "Indianness" of the chariot. At an earlier point in the project Michaelus & I discussed having the symbol mirrored on each side of the chariot - looking sort of like painted-on wings. This might be a lot of work. Only do it if it suits you.

If you are willing to do a second version that would be the more mythological one. The only changes would be to make the main color of the chariot white or gold and to make the driver blue-skinned - as in the picture at the link above. The archer remains normal colored in this version. All the animations can remain the same.

Thank you, Shiro, for undertaking this.

In your picture the armor seems mythical, I can do a version like it.
But what historical period does this chariot belong to? And do you have any carvings, remains or other visual guidance for historical armor for the period?

Yes the picture is of Krishna & Arjuna from the Mahabharata epic. I've used the myth-related pictures in several places because they have the most clarity of detail. The chariot design is historical. I have images of bas relief, etc. of the four-wheeled rathas in use - Mauryan era iirc.

I can post armor images. The images may be modern / mythological for clarity of detail. But they can be backed up with written descriptions from academic & primary sources & the kind of images you suggest - if needed. It may take a while to sort through all the images on the HD - unless they are in what was previously collected & sorted for Sandris.

Is it for practical use or mythical use? If you need a practical chariot, i could provide an example.

Have you even bothered to read one post out of every ten?

Top Bottom