Van Helsing (14/08/10)

Can't kill a werewolf with a crossbow, you need silver bullets.

A silver-tipped arrow ought to do just as well, as it's the delivery of the silver, not the delivery method, that matters. There's a good description of the background and purpose of silver bullets >here<; at the bottom of that first page the author mentions silver-tipped arrows. The wiki entry includes a surprisingly thorough analysis of a silver bullet's ballistic properties.

I've dreamt of this unit since we first designed the Steampunk mod. I do prefer Sommer's action man to the old professer, Supa, particularly for this action-oriented mod. This Van Helsing unit will also be able to carry useful items (like the Holy Hand Grenade), flagged as tactical missiles.

Cost of original copy of Civ Complete: $30.00 dollars (retail)
Usual cost of a custom unit by a professional modeler: $250 dollars, minimum
Having Plotinus make a perfect Van Helsing unit for your mod: priceless.

Wow! Excellent work! :goodjob:

With this sudden influx of Victorian units, would it be too much to ask for a Victorian era fencer or duelist? :)

With this sudden influx of Victorian units, would it be too much to ask for a Victorian era fencer or duelist? :)
I would love to see these suggestions and this truly is great unit the way you animated the cape is astounding.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

If only i could figure out dynamic cloth :cry:

It's not really that difficult once you work out the best way to do it, although it is pretty tedious and time-consuming. I can give you some pointers if you want.

excellent unit. can you add an attack animation with a revolver? Can't kill a werewolf with a crossbow, you need silver bullets.

It would be nice, but if I were to add a pistol attack, that would mean not only making a new animation but completely re-doing the existing Fortify, Attack, and Death animations to have him pull out and hold a pistol during those too (unless you want the new attack to consist of him pulling out the gun, firing it, and putting it away again every round). Since that would require re-doing the dynamic cloth for all of those as well, it's not going to happen.

You see, people often say "add this" or "add that" without considering how that would affect all the existing animations and renders... The animations have to make sense in how they relate to each other in how they are played in-game.

Possible, though not very likely. But any request is rendered more probable by the addition of concept art. Though in this case there's always Kinboat's Industrial Swordsman - a good unit although it predates the Paperdoll!

Yes, I see why Sommer's Van Helsing was the better choice. And the finished unit is beautiful. It's too bad we can't have specific attack bonus in Civ-3, a +50% Strengh vs Vampire would have been great.

It's too bad we can't have specific attack bonus in Civ-3, a +50% Strengh vs Vampire would have been great.

We can assign Van Helsing stealth attack vs. Vampires, just as vampires have stealth attack vs. defenseless and vulnerable young women...

In the Lost Worlds mod, both Van Helsing and Count Dracula are "Special units" that are significantly stronger than all other units in the game. If you don't "build" Van Helsing, Dracula's gonna wreak havoc....

Stealth Attack is a good idea, I actually forgot about it. I used it in the past with "Animal units", allowing them to attack non-vehicle units first. Really excited about these projects.

It's not really that difficult once you work out the best way to do it, although it is pretty tedious and time-consuming. I can give you some pointers if you want.

I would really appreciate any tips you could give. I'm sure others here would too :)

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Grey-Knights-Inquisitor-with-Inferno-Pistol-Power-Sword is a link to a Warhamer 40,000 unit.

Plotinus, if you still have a model or components or whatever you used to create this unit, I was thinking it could be modified to create the Inquisitor. I'm not suggesting you do it, but perhaps you could upload the components and allow a cut-and-paster to do it.

If not, I am considering modifying Van Helsing and adding a flamethrower attack to create the Inquisitor for the WH40K mod I believe someone is working on.

Top Bottom