Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same! I watch Gintama also! In the beginning I hope it's like the Meiji Restoration's Cowboy Bebop, however after a while it's really break the immersion as the character keep repeating something like t"his feel so anime", or what happened to us is so unbelievable as if we are "anime" character. And beside that I really cannot measure how good the main-character and his friend as a fighter, sometime they fought lots of attacker and win easily, while in other time they are saving their life from few attacker.

I think the anime series work as a "statement" or "message" that mixed with intense comedy and un-seriousness. Remind me of "One Punched Man". Now I really don't know what to watch, I'm thinking to give "Inuyasha" a try or go for "Full Metal Alchemist".

Go for FMA. Inu is cute and wholesome, but lacks depth. FMA is, for all intents and purposes, a masterpiece, according to my girlfriend and my friends. I'm only a few episodes in but like it a lot so far. It's no evangelion, but it's got potential :D

Netflix has apparently made a Snowpiercer TV series. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm assuming it released today.

Anyone given it a try yet?
6 years (I think) into the ride, the series is based on unsolved murders and the only homicide cop available is one of the "tailies", so they negotiate for his help

What is FMA man? I haven't watch Evangelion, is it still recommended to watch it? I thought it is outdated, what do you think?

Full Metal Alchemist :D And yes, everyone on earth should watch Evangelion. If I was supreme dictator, I'd force kids to watch it in schools. It's superb and probably one of the greatest pieces of cinema of the 20th century, worthy of competing with your Hitchcocks and David Leans and Tarkovskis. It's also so deep you'll fall into a rabbit hole with no obvious way out.

Full Metal Alchemist :D And yes, everyone on earth should watch Evangelion. If I was supreme dictator, I'd force kids to watch it in schools. It's superb and probably one of the greatest pieces of cinema of the 20th century, worthy of competing with your Hitchcocks and David Leans and Tarkovskis. It's also so deep you'll fall into a rabbit hole with no obvious way out.

Done I made up my mind what to watch :lol:

If you want to talk just PM you and I'll shoot you my pityful attempt at an interpretation! :)

I'm seeing these ads on TNT for Snowpiercer and keep thinking of yellow snow

I watched the last seasons of Supernatural and TNT is playing the early ones now, its kinda weird seeing these people before and after they spent 15 years aging during the series run

what bothered you?
Track maintenance was my biggest issue. They kept circling the earth and the track never degraded over time. Dumbest concept ever. Most rail networks suffer frequent issues. And they have armies to maintain them. And the train always traveled at a high rate of speed. Just plain silly.

Been watching ST:TOS. A bit of a slog when you're used to current standards of tv shows

I've been watching a few episodes of Voyager, and I already feel it's slow.
So... guess I'll probably not get to TOS lol.

I didn't really mean in the sense that it's slow (though it's perhaps slower than today's shows) but that the quality of the acting, the writing, cinematography... is vastly below today's standards, which makes it hard to watch. Voyager sometimes gets near the standards of the past too though.

I have finally finished my rewatch of The Last Kingdom, and have now seen season 4.

I noticed that my enjoyment of the show was higher during the rewatch; having the context of a first-time view, even without remembering the nuance, upped my reception of the show. This makes sense, I think, because the show very quickly introduces characters and their development. Some episodes are months or years. During a first-time view, you're not given much of a chance to let these changes percolate. But with a rewatch, you're already aware of these characters, and you can spend more time focused on the interactions.

Spoiler season 4 :

I really don't like what they did with Brida and Edward. But the season was largely good; I'm happy we finally got to see Uhtred's family. Stiorra was fantastic casting.

I finished Sneaky Pete. The ending seemed a little rushed but overall it was a really good end to the series. I wish there was another season showing where the characters go from here.

I started Mr. Robot. It is a weird show. People rave about it but I'm not sure yet. I didn't know it was a lot of psychological stuff.

Track maintenance was my biggest issue. They kept circling the earth and the track never degraded over time. Dumbest concept ever. Most rail networks suffer frequent issues. And they have armies to maintain them. And the train always traveled at a high rate of speed. Just plain silly.

....??

Okay, you seem to have wildly different measures for what makes a movie good. I usually look to the plot, the camerawork, the scenes, the message, the acting, the music, etc. Degradation of train tracks is usually not a metric I apply to movies, nor is realism, because then no movie is ever fun. Still tyvm for your reply, and I do understand how that's unrealistic.

Finished two seasons of "Dark" (German series set in 2019 about families and time travel). 7-8 out of 10.

Spoiler :
I found it pretty confusing and had a hard time keeping relationships straight as folks moved through time (2019, 1986, 1953) in intervals of 33 years. Not only was it hard to keep tract of individuals, but also how they were all related. By the end things were better and there was even a character or two worth caring about. The ending, setting up season 3, did not resolve the first two seasons and opened the door for a expanded and perhaps more confusing continuation of the story. I expect I will keep watching if it doesn't take too long for the next season to show up.

Okay, you seem to have wildly different measures for what makes a movie good. I usually look to the plot, the camerawork, the scenes, the message, the acting, the music, etc. Degradation of train tracks is usually not a metric I apply to movies, nor is realism, because then no movie is ever fun. Still tyvm for your reply, and I do understand how that's unrealistic.
Normally I'd probably agree, but one of the main points of the movie is how cold it is outside. The train has been running for how many years without any track issues?
Sorry when the basic premise is that flawed, it makes it hard to go along with anything. (and the rest of the plot was pretty stupid also. specifically using tiny children in maintenance of the train since no one is small enough to fit into the spaces. REALLY)

I'm currently watching Gintama, an animated series based on Feudal Japan, but with Aliens roaming the streets. It's pretty good, but not really what I'm looking for. Bit too self aware for my tastes.
K- I mean GinTama is some of the best anime in the last decade, yung-san. You just have not watched enough.
Same! I watch Gintama also! In the beginning I hope it's like the Meiji Restoration's Cowboy Bebop, however after a while it's really break the immersion as the character keep repeating something like t"his feel so anime", or what happened to us is so unbelievable as if we are "anime" character. And beside that I really cannot measure how good the main-character and his friend as a fighter, sometime they fought lots of attacker and win easily, while in other time they are saving their life from few attacker.

I think the anime series work as a "statement" or "message" that mixed with intense comedy and un-seriousness. Remind me of "One Punched Man". Now I really don't know what to watch, I'm thinking to give "Inuyasha" a try or go for "Full Metal Alchemist".
Even before I saw yung-san's post on the subject I'd still recommend InuYasha.

I'll keep watching anyway. I always like shows that are different, I even tolerate them if they're a bit annoying sometimes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom