Clown Car V: 2020 version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you're trying to say but it seems like you're unintentionally moving goalposts all over the place here. You can't have it both ways. Either you feel like MSNBC is the Democratic propaganda to match FOX's Republican propaganda, ie the "other side of the coin" or you feel like they are "centrists". If it is the former, then how can you then call them "lockstep centrists"? If they're on the "other side" then they cant be in the center. On the other hand, if it is the latter, they why are you calling them "lefty" and complaining that they don't sufficiently endorse the most liberal positions? Why would they be "lefty" if they're "lockstep centrists"?

The other thing we need to address is the notion that CNN and MSNBC are equivalent. They aren't. Like I've said, I consume all three channels and there is a vast difference between MSNBC and CNN. MSNBC is certainly geared to favor Democrats, but CNN is much more focused on being moderate/centrist/mainstream, and simply accurate. The Republicans have tried for years to lump the two of them together as "the liberal/lamestream media" and Trump has stepped up these efforts by essentially declaring war on CNN as the "Fake News/Enemy of the people" but that's just a clever tactic on his part to move the Overton window. MSNBC was always seen as the counterpart to FOX by Republicans and CNN was easily recognized as the more centrist of the three. But now by branding CNN as "liberal" and getting people to buy into the notion that they are the same as MSNBC, Trump and the Republicans make FOX seem 1) like an underdog fighting a 2-against-1 battle and 2)more reasonable, in the sense that "its just one side of the same coin" and "both sides are bad" and similar moral equivalence themes. The positions that you are taking here seem to suggest that this strategy is working.

And that is a big part of the problem with the "both sides are bad" narrative. It presupposes that the Republicans and Democrats agendas are morally, economically and socially equivalent in merit and value. They aren't. If they were, then yes a "variety of opinions and choices" would have value, compromise would have value, but as I've said before... there's no "compromising" with someone who wants to add feces to the mashed potatoes "for flavor". FOX is mostly horse manure. A plate of wet horse manure with also some beans and gravy on it isn't "variety", its a plate of manure. I'd rather have a plate of mashed potatoes, sans manure. It's might not be as "diverse", but its at least fit for consumption. FOX just has the beans for the manure juices to bleed all over and ruin it. The contrary voices on FOX are just punching bags for them to mock and beat up on and make them look foolish.

Its easy to conflate "doesn't give Bernie sufficiently favorable coverage" with "lockstep centrist" but they aren't the same thing. Its even easier to conflate "gives Tump negative coverage" with "lefty" but they aren't the same. CNN gives Trump unfavorable coverage because Trump deserves unfavorable coverage. Same for MSNBC. Accurate coverage of Trump is going to be unfavorable because Trump is odious. The reason Bernie doesn't get the coverage that Biden gets on MSNBC is because MSNBC wants the Democrats to win, Bernie isn't a Democrat, and more importantly, they aren't buying that Bernie is the best candidate to win. I expect that if and when Bernie becomes the clear frontrunner, MSNBC will be fawning all over him. With CNN, they are trying to appeal more to moderate/centrist audiences.
I'm not moving goalposts. I specifically pointed out examples. You did not. This long wall of text...I could change a few words and it'd be the same rant my dad did when he told me Fox was the most fair.

How is CNN the just the facts network when they let Jake Tapper do a full segment about how M4All would cost too much? Every study says itd save money overall. If they report the facts why would they lie? This forum has pretty good international representation, all you need to do is ask.

Where is CNN's antiwar pundit? Why can Tucker Carlson do better reporting on Iran than CNN?

I gave specific names and issues to back up my opinion. You gave..."I watch all 3..." your confirmation bias is all. Dad's confirmation bias says Fox is great. Hes my dad and that's not enough to change my opinion.

I'm not moving goalposts. I specifically pointed out examples. You did not. This long wall of text...I could change a few words and it'd be the same rant my dad did when he told me Fox was the most fair.

How is CNN the just the facts network when they let Jake Tapper do a full segment about how M4All would cost too much? Every study says itd save money overall. If they report the facts why would they lie? This forum has pretty good international representation, all you need to do is ask.

Where is CNN's antiwar pundit? Why can Tucker Carlson do better reporting on Iran than CNN?

I gave specific names and issues to back up my opinion. You gave..."I watch all 3..." your confirmation bias is all. Dad's confirmation bias says Fox is great. Hes my dad and that's not enough to change my opinion.
I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just sharing mine. I'm not trying to convince you of anything and I'm certainly not trying to compete with, or be your dad... Yikes. I will gently point out that you are saying your Dad called FOX the "most fair" and you're here saying essentially the same thing, so you guys clearly agree... but please dont project your issues with your dad onto me, I don't want to get in the middle of that.

Last edited:
Cable news is all pretty awful. Saying Fox manages to represent more voices (which IMO equates fair) is still like being the tallest kid in the kindergarten class. The difference between where I'm at and where Dad's at is he thinks they're actually good while I say, shockingly, least sucky.

Enjoy breathing in more mercury and drinking raw sewage Republicans.
A small price to pay so you dont have to flush the toilet 15 times

Not sure how this is related to water pressure in a home plumbing system, but okay.

Also, you do know we don't drink our water straight from the river, right? It goes through water treatment plants and made potable. The water we all drink is recycled water that has probably been drank, peed in, crapped in, etc. more times than anyone could hope to count. That's why modern civilizations purify and treat their water before they drink it.

Not sure how this is related to water pressure in a home plumbing system, but okay.

Also, you do know we don't drink our water straight from the river, right? It goes through water treatment plants and made potable. The water we all drink is recycled water that has probably been drank, peed in, crapped in, etc. more times than anyone could hope to count. That's why modern civilizations purify and treat their water before they drink it.
Additional pollution puts those cleaning systems under strain. People with compromised immune systems will be the first hit when things start to break down but it can affect everyone. And all the life in and around the river will die off thanks to the pollution. Then when it hits the ocean, algae blooms will kill everything and force beach closures.

There is no reason why you should be paying for corporate pollution with your health and environmental damage to the area around you. The pollution generators are generating an external cost that they are shifting onto you. You okay paying that due bill? You okay with your family potentially paying it?

Last edited:
Additional pollution buts those cleaning systems under strain. People with compromised immune systems will be the first hit when things start to break down but it can affect everyone. And all the life in and around the river will die off thanks to the pollution. Then when it hits the ocean, algae blooms will kill everything and force beach closures.

There is no reason why you should be paying for corporate pollution with your health and environmental damage to the area around you. The pollution generators are paying a cost that they are shifting onto you. You okay paying that due bill? You okay with your family potentially paying it?

but bringing back cholera outbreaks seems so classic nostalgia conservatism!

That is a very important iniative for Trumps EPA.
Imagine living down river of any cities and breathing in the MAGA.

Does he though? He is opposed to 'getting involved' in the Middle East, but he is still an Islamophobic bigot and I'm not sure that counts as 'better reporting'.

Does he though? He is opposed to 'getting involved' in the Middle East, but he is still an Islamophobic bigot and I'm not sure that counts as 'better reporting'.
The fact that he's a douchebag islamophobe and STILL has the right stance on a war in Iran is pretty impressive.

The fact that he's a douchebag islamophobe and STILL has the right stance on a war in Iran is pretty impressive.
But he comes at it from a completely different perspective. The example that jumps to mind is a neo-Nazi criticizing US support for Israel. Even if someone superficially agrees with you, if their underlying thought process is repulsive I for one wouldn't say they have the 'right stance'.

We are supposed to get Jared's Mid East peace plan this week. I've heard that a major component of it is to let Israel fully annex the West bank. I guess we'll see.

But he comes at it from a completely different perspective. The example that jumps to mind is a neo-Nazi criticizing US support for Israel. Even if someone superficially agrees with you, if their underlying thought process is repulsive I for one wouldn't say they have the 'right stance'.
its not even close to that. Tell me how an islamophobe arguing against bombing more Muslims is similar to a neo nazi's antisemitism being reason for criticism of Israel.

And by peace plan what you actually mean is a total capitulation to Israeli desires
Total annihilation of all sides in a conflict but one does lead to peace in our time.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/25/7995...publicly-accuses-npr-journalist-of-lying-to-h

"He shouted at me for about the same amount of time as the [9-minute] interview itself had lasted," Kelly told Shapiro. "He was not happy to have been questioned about Ukraine. He asked, 'Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?' He used the F-word in that sentence and many others."

Pompeo then had a pop quiz for Kelly, a veteran national security correspondent who has reported from China, Russia and, most recently, Iran.

"He asked if I could find Ukraine on a map; I said yes," she continued. "He called out for his aides to bring him a map of the world with no writing, no countries marked. I pointed to Ukraine. He put the map away. He said, 'People will hear about this.' "

I have serious doubts as to whether Trump could find the Ukraine without it marked. . .or with it marked for that matter.

its not even close to that. Tell me how an islamophobe arguing against bombing more Muslims is similar to a neo nazi's antisemitism being reason for criticism of Israel.

"It's a waste of time to try to civilize those monkeys, we should be using those resources at home to round up Mexicans and put em in cages"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom