GalCiv2 sweepstake questions/comments

Perfection said:
I think this contest should reward members who contribute to the site. I suggest weighting all entries by postcount.
:lol:

Maybe an inverse weigthing... so people with higher postcount have a smaller chance of winning? :mischief:

How about weighting based on join date ;)

I also realized there are lots of people with one post participating in the sweepstakes and a lot of them probably created accounts only for that. A simpler way to discard them would be to ignore accounts created after March 6. I bet many of those accounts are from people who already have another account and want to increase their chances of winning.

I still have another question: Is this contest restricted to the USA or would you ship anywhere in the world?

I am asking because I am Canadian, but I know there are lots of Europeans in CFC as well.

fbouthil said:
I still have another question: Is this contest restricted to the USA or would you ship anywhere in the world?
No, it's not restricted to the US. If it is, we would have mentioned it in the rules.

Kal'thzar said:
Non-Spam post count of course....
It's a good thing none of my posts are spam :smug:

BCalchet said:
Weighed by post-count to reward frequent posters? Might as well send the things to the users with the most posts and be done with it, then - that way, no dirty sub-10-post newbie can get their filthy paws on the shiny games however lucky they are.
I could go with that.

The Great Apple said:
:lol:

Maybe an inverse weigthing... so people with higher postcount have a smaller chance of winning? :mischief:
What would the sense be in that?

The Great Apple said:
How about weighting based on join date ;)
Well, that's better than nothing, but I still say postcount is the best judge.

Perfection said:
The Great Apple said:
Maybe an inverse weigthing... so people with higher postcount have a smaller chance of winning?
What would the sense be in that?

I would post the reason, but if inverse weighting indeed would be implemented then my chances would go down :)

edit: err.....

I would have liked a join-date restriction. Only the members registered before Day 1 would have been able to participate.

But of course, that's my biased pov of regular and participating user. :D It's a great opportunity for the board admins to gain new users. :)

Edition:

And thanks to Rik for keeping me eligible :)

I know I was reading this site for over a year before I created an account, and then it took me another year before I had 30 posts. You shouldn't punish people that aren't as talkative as other posters. I think a simple ip check should be used to stop double entries, and that's it.

GeorgeOP said:
You shouldn't punish people that aren't as talkative as other posters.
It's not a punishment for you, in fact you get more votes than would before. Rather, it's a reward for posters like me.

What I understood from the rules:
No restrictions on location
No restrictions on postscount
No restrictions on fourm-registration date

Of course, standard forum rules apply; especially double registered members (= with multiple accounts) will be disqualified upon discovery.

I'm pretty sure most everyone is joking around in good fun, at least I hope so. If not I'm going to post even though I already have the game just to screw someone else! :evil: ;)

Why of course by the bane of all people in Civ3.The RNG!

BirraImperial said:
So how exactly is the winner going to be picked?
Well you get a big hat...

I'd imagine that TF will simply lock the thread ask random.org to spit out a number between 1 and n where n is the number of entrants. And correspond the results with post numbers. It would be pretty simple.

The sweepstake will end on March 14, 12 AM ET. I was considering ending the sweeptake 2 days early, so people don't need to wait too long, but I guess we could just let it run full 7 days. :)

Good.But do IP scan those people....far too many 1 post accounts.

It's pretty obvious that people have created multiple accounts to increase their chance of winning. Before the sweepstake, the GalCiv2 sub-forum didn't have nearly as many posts as it has now. Just take a look: over 1800 posts :eek: since the creation of the sub-forum which was about 10 days ago!
How crazy is that?

It isn't a proof of multi-account. A lot of lurkers have registered for the occasion. Anyway, when admins will pick up the winning numbers they will probably make an IP check on the winners. It's a matter of second to see that.

Looks like the tide is weakening. The number of post/day is less than a few days ago.

Top Bottom