1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No NO NO! NO!! It can't be true - CURSE YOU FIRAXIS

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Heretic_Cata, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Would you like to know yet ANOTHER stupid limitation in the editor ?

If you add a civilopedia entry that is TOO LONG the game CRASHES. [pissed]
    I had about 6 entries that were longer then what they wanted ...
    For example i had :
    Twin_Pyramid_of_Tlaloc_and_Huitzilopochtli

I was keeping the entries like this because i couldn't remember that guy's name.
    GGGRRR [pissed] and this was not the only entry that was to long ...:mad:

2. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

3. Heretic_Cata

Yea it's easy to rename it. But the frustration came from the fact that i didn't know which enrty was to long and i had to enter the game - error - exit game - fix - enter the game - error ... and so on... Imagine how much that would take on my crappy computer.

BTW,
    This is why i cannot play scenarios and this is why i won't make any scenario mods. I tryed the Middle Ages scenario and ending the first turn would take at least 1:30 minutes and during the second turn i thought my computer crashed since nothing was happening ... after at least 2 minutes it continued.

4. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

5. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Supa, 2000 posts flat! :thumbsup: I too have a rustbucket of a system... So I just play mods :D

6. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

7. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

There could be a limit somewhere for units.... But I have not reached it yet!

8. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

10000 maybe?

9. Steph

I won't embark in a new crusade to add 7,000 more units just to check was it the limit.
    Here is a suggestion for someone with to much time available: Use the Civ3CopyTool to make 100 copies of a unit (but keep all the parameters and graphics identical). Place one of themp on the map.
    Start the scenario.
    Repeat until it crash.
    Report the number of units reached.

10. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

"Someone with too much time"
    How long to you estimate it would take (not because I want to check the limit, just because I wanted to know what you mean by too much time)

11. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

@ HC,

please can you tell me where in the help file is that entry with the 256 improvements ? Is the number of 256 the number of the of the improvements or the number of civilpedia entries connected to improvements ? This is important as you can connect several different improvements to the same civilopedia entry and each of these improvements acts in a different way (p.e. they produce different units and can have different improvement flags).

To your question in an other thread about a help program for the civilopediaicon file I didn´t receive an answer by Recon yet.

12. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

13. Steph

Not so long if you just copy the units without making any change.
    I think something like one evening is more than enough

14. Heretic_Cata

I have 353 building entries (counted them with one of Stephs progs) in my civilopedia and the mod works. (i didn't bother to erase them - maybe i will before the release...)

I uploaded a pic :

Attached Files:

15. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

@HC, first thank you for showing me the entry about the 256 imps in the help file (and the additional sad face picture).

Do you also have 353 entries in the pediaicons file while the mod is working ?

16. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

It is so sad!

17. Heretic_Cata

Actualy i bet there are more than 353 civilopedia entries in the pediacons because i NEVER erased ANYTHING in the pediacons and there are at least 20 buildings that were erased from the game and the civilopedia 2 years ago but were never erased from Pediaicons because i had no reason to erase them (i am lazy).
    (I was thinking that if i would leave the entries in the civilopedia.txt file they would apear in the game :hammer2:)

So the 256 is a limitation of the editor - not a limitation of the game itself.

18. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Why ? The unlimited pediaicons isn't a proof that the game itself can bear with more than 256 bldgs.

19. Heretic_Cata

It isn't a proof, but the thing is - why would the game crash if there would be 257 buildings ? Why not one more ?
    Because 257 is not 2^x.
    So what does this number have to with how much the game can bear ?

I think the TRUE limit is somewhere (it could be anywhere) between 2^8 and 2^9. They just made a STUPID aproximation.

Further more i STILL don't understand why the game would crash. The way i see it, if it excedes that certain amount then our RAMs&video cards will have a harder time - that is where i don't see the conection with the game.

20. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

I don't know how the game is built and I don't know if the engine could support more than 256 bldg or not. Meaning : I don't know if it's a subjective limitation or if the way it's built it couldn't support more (more ram or not won't change a lot here). I think it's more likely to be the later, thus the limitation here and not with units. Either way, it's unlikely that we'll get the answer one day.