Policy on Use & Attribution of Our Creations

Blue Monkey

Archon Without Portfolio
Did you know a policy has been in place since August that restricts your ability to control how your work is used?

Did you know that all this was discussed beginning last January without an announcement being made here in C3 C&C?

Did you know that you may end up with no ability to grant or withhold permission to use your work? Not even to place conditions such as what can be further modified? How will that affect any betas or wips you post?

This thread may be your last chance to say anything before the existing policy you didn't know about is revised to further restrict your influence over how your work is used.

I've no problem with that. If I put it here, anyone can use it for anything nonprofit, I just prefer I get the credit for the work done. The only time I may take issue is if someone uses my work to generate a profit, without properly crediting and compensating me.

I don't mind if my work is used elsewhere for non-commercial purposes, but I'm quite annoyed about the way a community-wide policy change is about to be implemented arbitrarily.

This not at all about whether or not we're okay with other people using what we've posted. We've pretty well worked that out amongst ourselves. Including accommodating special restrictions posted by particular members, such as not wanting people to change & repost files that are still in development. Ogedei gets it.
I don't mind if my work is used elsewhere for non-commercial purposes, but I'm quite annoyed about the way a community-wide policy change is about to be implemented arbitrarily.
That is exactly the point. The C4 & C5 modders have had months to review & discuss this. Notice that I said review, not advise. There were six days between the time C5 C&C were first asked about it and the policy as it stands was posted. That's not a lot of time to reflect & discuss. We've had exactly squat.

The C4 & C5 modders have had months to review & discuss this. Notice that I said review, not advise. There were six days between the time C5 C&C were first asked about it and the policy as it stands was posted. That's not a lot of time to reflect & discuss. We've had exactly squat.

To play the devil's advocate... There was no such policy since January or August. There was an informal guideline compiled on Civ4 forums in February, simply a guide, a "modiquette". Until an incident a few days ago, after which the staff apparently decided to formalize it into a site policy.

It hasn't been formalized yet. Not discussing the issue here, just saying it's not a conspiracy against you... I've learned about this from Civ4 forums exactly yesterday... when it was posted everywhere. It's still up for discussion.

While the individual case that apparently triggered this proposed change may be suspect, it does seem to be a very bad idea to enforce such a change.

I know i would not like to upload work and then see it end up altered with people not even bothering to ask for my permission (sometimes i would give permission, most times i would not).

Also one of the main reasons why i am not very happy to contribute to cIV is exactly that it seems once you post a model you made there, it is pretty much free to alter by anyone with a 3d modeller. This is not fair though, one may have spend hours building the original model and wish it stays unchanged.

So i think Blue Monkey is right on this one. In fact i am getting the urge to even allow use of my work in mods by him after his current correct stance ;)

I am not defending the actions of the staff at all, don't get me wrong. I just have no issue with the policy itself as I am unaffected - it mirrors my own.

I do think it was sprung upon the community without sufficient time and discussion, and I think certain questions like what to do with files that were uploaded prior to this change going into effect, or the issue of someone making a profit of such shared work.

If I spend 10 years making Modzilla, and someone comes along, tweaks it, then re-releases it as their own work without crediting me, I can just post on their thread a link to any of my threads on it to prove otherwise - that would be enough for me. Now - if they made it into a separate game that they licensed and sold and became rich off of, I would have a problem then, but that is what lawsuits are for. ;)

I also have concerns from a modders perspective (as opposed to an uploaders). I would be quite distressed if some of our more talented artists such as Kyriakos or Wyrmshadow or Ares pulled their files over this issue, especially if they didn't put them over to another site such as StormOverCiv.

Hopefully that clarifies my stance a bit. My understanding is that this rule is also not a rule yet, that it is just being considered, so if you have a serious problem with it, go tell them on the parent thread. Fight it, and kill it with fire before that bill becomes a law. ;)

It would seem to me that at least the civ3 units are mostly safe. We retain the 3d models or paperdolls on our computers which makes it a lot harder to modify. Even with your stuff Kyriakos would be difficult to modify without the 3d models. So we are lucky in that way. Unlike the civ4/5 stuff which I learned on another thread can easily have the 3d models extracted.

However, that being said any scenario or mod is free for you to modify so perhaps something can be done to safeguard them in the rules? Seems like there may be some time left for us to have a say if we can get ourselves organized.

This is also a problem on other modding communities (Subsim comes in mind for me having worked with some of them to bring their creations over here) have had to face. Perhaps we can learn from how they manage things and from their mistakes and triumph.

To play the devil's advocate... There was no such policy since January or August. There was an informal guideline compiled on Civ4 forums in February, simply a guide, a "modiquette". Until an incident a few days ago, after which the staff apparently decided to formalize it into a site policy.

It hasn't been formalized yet. Not discussing the issue here, just saying it's not a conspiracy against you... I've learned about this from Civ4 forums exactly yesterday... when it was posted everywhere. It's still up for discussion.
Characterizing what I've posted as in the category of fringe conspiracy theorists is unfair. It's not about me, it's about abusive practices. I don't want to get infracted for pdma any more than the rest of us. I probably will sooner or later just on the basis of what i have to say about this issue. So as to my supposedly crackpot interpretations of staff actions I'll just ask you to keep in mind that I was on the other side of the fence and left. It's worth noting that now I do have the freedom to say (some) things publicly where before I was bound by staff guidelines. Some written up as policy, some stated informally. But all of them enforced.

It's only an informal guideline is one interpretation. But your timeline is off & this has not been presented to us by staff as an informal guideline. You've got to read & think about things that are scattered across different subforums to see what's going on. There are people from outside C3 C&C who have problems with the same things I've pointed out. I encourage each of you to read all the posts in the various threads that C4 & C5 C&Cers were invited to participate in. They're not long. maybe 2-3 pages each. Then return to the one official discussion thread that is left open. Which is tucked away in C2 C&C.
Staff is trying to update the policy on use of Mods at CivFanatics. We ask for your feedback on this proposed update ...
(emphasis added)
That makes explicit that there was already a policy in place before yesterday. Has to exist in order to be updated. And when was the linked to statement posted? August 19th, 2012. It hasn't been edited since then. In the discussion threads from C4 C&C it is specifically referred to in terms of rules and a policy. Not always or solely by the thread starter. But such references are not commented on or corrected by the thread starter either. That same poster has commented elsewhere that saying nothing means you agree. So it's a reasonable assumption they agree with what they did not correct. Why is that important? Check the posted authorship of the policy. When were C4 C&Cers invited to participate in a discussion? January according to the date on the OP of that thread. So as stated in the OP of this thread the discussion started in January and the policy was posted as it stands now in August.

So we've got this written statement that has been both informally and formally referred to as a set of rules / policy. What is "still up for discussion"?

Staff is trying to update the policy on use of Mods at CivFanatics. We ask for your feedback on this proposed update and formalization of the Modiquette:
Any Mod that is developed using CivFanatics resources or is supplied by one of its authors through links in the forums or Downloads database is free to use, without permission, as long as credit is given.

A single sentence. That's about 2% of the policy's text. Don't know about anyone else, but to me, if I'm left out of the discussion for nearly a year and then allowed to voice my opinion on a change to 2% of a policy that affects my fundamental motive for being a member of CFC I really don't feel like I'm being asked to participate in creating something that is still undergoing changes. Seems a lot more like some window-dressing to keep the field hands happy. Anyone else familiar with the story about the monkeys' reaction to the change in the quantity of nuts they were fed?

I only opened this thread to allow C3 C&Cers to know what has been done behind our backs. It's about the methods used to implement preferred policies not about the text of that policy. Discussing details of the content of the policy here is worse than useless. It diminishes the impact of what little opportunity we have to be heard on the wording of that single sentence. And that single sentence may make the difference about who continues to be part of our community. so post that kind of comment over there. For as long as this lasts - until it is closed and binned - this thread is about how we've been aced out of any chance to guide the formation of what we will now be bound by.

Well, there are alot of companies that can easily be contacted letting them know that their artwork, models, and animations of their game developers has been released as official public domain works by CFC staff. Leif erikson used this to try to say a post includes even mods and all artwork, even though a "post" is not defined (although bottom sentence states it includes attachments):

Leify said:
Your agreement with us
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, racist, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum. In addition, if you post at this site, what you post is considered to be in the public domain. Should you choose to leave the forum (or behave in a manner that results in your account being banned), any deletion of your account, or the posts you have made (including attachments) is at the sole discretion of the administrators.

I know of quite a bit of art on this site that cannot be made public domain; as alot of it is derivative or original work of game developers; I know some of it is copyrighted work (probably with permission, but that doesn't matter according to the rule above). I have used copyrighted work in which I have been given permission to create a derivative work of and was given permission to post here.

On the other hand, I have seen in Civ 4 forums, copyrighted original works of game developers. And now if they say all works are public domain, that makes it so CFC is saying those copyrighted works of other game developers are now public domain and free to use by anyone and everyone on the whole world wide web.

I'll get started making contacts and emails tomorrow, and I'll do it just to see what happens. Ubisoft, and Blizzard, oh where art thou?

So from your post Blue, you said the policy is official and in force?

So from your post Blue, you said the policy is official and in force?
I didn't say it. A moderator and a supermoderator said it. I'm neither of those.

tom2050, while you're contemplating the effect on things like derivative work ...

When it comes to what intellectual property the management of CFC will control keep in mind the phrase "... or is supplied by one of its authors through links in the forums ..." that they want us to give the nod to.

But really that's something to discuss in an officially sanctioned thread in a completely different part of the site. Not something to post about here in C3 C&C. This thread is strictly intended to bring what's being done to us and how it's being done to us to the attention of anyone who might be interested in saying something about the decisions that were made months ago without any input from us. Comment on the policy over there. Not here where only we would know about it. It wouldn't be fair for us to decide how we feel about it in our own little subforum without letting C4, C5 or C2 modders chime in.

On further reflection we should consider ourselves lucky. The poor lonely modders still actively making and sharing things for Civ 1 & Alpha Centauri didn't even get a closed thread sticky in their subforums.

This is ugly. I find it offending how the staff treats a large group of dedicated creatives that is one of, if not THE most important reason why people even visit this board.

I've posted my opinion and arguments about the policy in the other thread.

The communication between the boards looks quite perfectible to say the least - but as long as there is room to express myself now and a honest will to reach the best solution possible by the staff (even if it means validating a policy now and modifying/revoking it later).. that's fine by me.

What's that incident Embryodead mentioned ?

I didn't say it. A moderator and a supermoderator said it. I'm neither of those.
It's simply a matter of interpretation. We'll get a lot of 'but we didn't mean it that way' this coming week.

It comes off as if they simply ignored the Civ3 group when they came up with this. That's what is even more irritating.

Their civ is more civ than ours.

Now I understand better the virulence in the other thread, seems there is a bit of misunderstanding here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the problem is not "only" the new policy proposal, it's the fact that the modiquette, a "compilation of all the unwritten rules", was made inside the civ4 section, not the civ3, civ5, civ2, or, better, the Site Feedback section ?

The modiquette is not a formal rule, it's a reminder of the spirit of the community, I didn't follow civ4 section since a long time, but I suppose it started there because that was the section that needed a reminder.

Now we have also that recent incident in civ4 section, in which a modder have used other mods as a base for his own, then have refused to share what he has added to that base. I don't know the details, but I suppose it can be found in C2C section in civ4 forums.

So we look for a way to prevent this, thought of a simple rule a few days ago, and wanted it to be presented to all sections, because if it's adopted, it will impact everyone this time. We're no more talking of a reminder of the community spirit, but something we can base decisions on.

It's a proposition, not something already decided, it's back to the drawing board, because it's not perfect in it's current form, far from it from the comments, and your feedback is of course required/welcome.

We never thought it would be taken as an offense by any section of the site. Now, if it appears that it can't be discussed at all, or is completely impracticable, then Kyriakos feeling of déjà vu will simply be confirmed.

Now I understand better the virulence in the other thread, seems there is a bit of misunderstanding here.
Virulence refers to hostility, especially verbal abuse. The majority of the verbal abuse going on in the official policy thread seems to be people from C4. An official decision was made to allow all that to spill out into other creative subforums and the common areas such as site feedback. spreading and encouraging verbal abuse is itself abusive.

You represent yourself as an a staff member, but your pronouncement is completely different from the official closed-thread sticky.
This -
The modiquette is not a formal rule, it's a reminder of the spirit of the community, ...
It's a proposition, not something already decided,
And this -
Staff is trying to update the policy on use of Mods at CivFanatics. We ask for your feedback on this proposed update ...
(emphasis added)

- are not at all the same thing. Saying it's so doesn't make it so. That some Orwellian logic, not something a responsible staff member should be saying.
According to the official announcement an update is proposed. That can only be the case if the policy in question already exists.

, and your feedback is of course required/welcome.
"Required" can be taken two ways. One is that you need us in order to proceed. The other is that you are going to force us to comment. Since the latter is impossible given the resources available to CFC staff I'll be charitable and assume you mean the former. You want to propose that you can't proceed without us. Yet that is exactly what has been done by ignoring us for nearly a year - during the time that discussion threads were open in more than one C&C subforum. In the currently open "other thread" we've been told
But we also don't have to reach everyone, we're not obliged to check everyone's opinion.
What you are saying is completely contradicted by the statement of the author of the policy. That's the same person who opened the discussion thread in C4, closed it when it was of no further use to him (after 6 months of discussion) and then opened a thread in C5 where he gave people 6 days to speak up before he wrote the policy. The C4 thread title was "Should we write down/formalize the modding netiquette? ". The C5 thread title is "Is there a need for a modding netiquette? " Both of those - framed as questions - sound like an attempt at consensus building as to whether or not a policy is even needed. Asking us for feedback on one sentence in a written policy is different in kind.

Now, if it appears that it can't be discussed at all, ...
Are you admitting that we can't be part of the discussion because it already happened or are you trying to make us believe that when it falls apart it will be our fault for giving feedback?

Staff posting diametrically opposed statements about something that profoundly affects the very reason we are at CFC is abusive. Listening to what C4 people have to say about a problem in their subforum before coming to a solution then imposing it over here without giving us a similar opportunity is abusive. That abuse is deepened by telling us to like it or leave. All that abuse is verbal. C4 modders are verbally abusing each other. Staff is verbally abusing us. Staff are doing things that are hostile to our creative process. Yet we're the ones who are virulent in our posts?

If I were in your position I'd very mad at whoever told me to come over here as their cat's paw. I doubt it was any of the several administrators and supermoderators who are assigned here that did you dirty like that. They are themselves C3 modders and know this particular community fairly well. Whenever there have been any disagreements that began to get out of hand in C3 C&C they have themselves spoken to us. Most of the time those situations have been about creative disagreements.
... I don't know the details, but I suppose it can be found in C2C section in civ4 forums.
That's a pretty telling statement. You don't know what's going on over there - aren't even assigned to that area. You aren't assigned to this subforum, have no history of posting here at all. Which means you have no way of knowing what we're about or how we do things. I know for a fact that junior moderators are supposed to stick to their assigned areas as far as staff activity goes. Even moderators and supermoderators are advised to minimize roaming. You're outside your bailiwick and in over your head. Your self professed ignorance and that you post something completely different from the official statements is proof of that.

Before you come over here to set things right remember that we're the ones who make dragons. Maybe you would be better served to go back to the staff forum & read some of the threads about the situations that have arisen here in C3 C&C. Have some private discussions with the staff who are C3 modders - so you can get schooled without embarrassing yourself. It might also be a good idea to stay away from C3 C&C until you either are assigned here or get your wings.

Top Bottom