Work In Progress - Post Apocalypse Mod

I just recently bought an e-book reader :D Glasgow used to have some good bookshops but a lot have closed, Borders books on Buchanan Street for instance. I blame these e-book buyers :crazyeye:
OK, start fishing around… if it's been translated into Italian then it's surely gone into English.

Not to get OT, but maybe someone who has them could upload them to CFC Database... so they are not forever lost. All those files at Apolyton downloaded as 0 byte zip files.
The entire downloads db over there seems to have disappeared. The majority of the forum archives as well. It's known, but I didn't see any statement about if or when it will be restored.

I really love Fallout so there will be a generous sprinkling of fallout references in the mix. It's hard to make a whole civ when there's few units about and I don't think I can hope for a whole line of mufflers. Perhaps though they can be included as a spawned or barb unit. If you look at the tech tree you'll see a unit there that is very like your description that I've currently earmarked as a Desert Ranger.

Yeah, I thought it would be kind of hard to make an entire civilization for the Mufflers. They wouldn't be able to talk to other civilizations due to their gas masks, never mind the fact that they wouldn't give the light of day to dirty people with germs on them. You have a point with having Muffler units already in the tech tree. If you can do it, you should add civ-exclusive technologies that allow them to make unique units and buildings.

Somebody should try to make Muffler units that look like this Muffler:

A bit overused, but why not include aliens in the mix?
Also, I didn't see that really cool terminator-like unit from EFZI2(the talking, walking, and tea-making one). If your idea is for machines to represent the terminators, that could be their leader unit.

Also, the mufflers sound interesting...although they might be better off obsessed with eliminating all other species. It would give them a more emotionless feel, as these beings who never talk and whose goal is to eliminate all others...

Terminator-like? It's a friggin' T-800!

Sorry, wasn't 100% sure, I just did a search for it, and realized that it was the T-800. Anyway, imho it should definitely be included for the machines.

How about this idea for part(s) of the map:
A deserted highway, full of bombed out cars fleeing the city, like a few scenes in the film I Am Legend. Maybe it would resemble the Highway of Death. Maybe it would foster a motorcycle gang or highway-based civ. Also, you might want to give serious though to how roads and highways would factor into a post-apocalyptic world, given the massively reduced capacity to build roads worldwide. Perhaps make road-building an Era 2 or late Era 1 ability?

Just some thoughts.

Also: My robot picks.

Wheeled1: Trike
Wheeled2: TeslaTank (because they're robots, and use electricity?)
Wheeled3: Baneblade
Artillery: Annihilator (although it's not that portable. At all.)
Animal: MechJaguar (Oddly enough, we have a robot animal hybrid. I love you guys.)
Air: The Imperial Sky Armor (Matte black AND propellers? Oh yes.)
Settler: Bebro's Futuristic Mech units (One could also possibly get a Wheeled out of the recon scout, or an artillery out of the plasma artillery)

Other civs:
The Ol' Farm Truck would do well for Puritans or pesky Raiders.

My favorites that don't necessarily fit a schema:
Robot B. It's matte black. Classy.
The Predator, because it has an electrical death, and is matte black. Deadly.
Special mention to the Energon Cube and the Energy Elemental. Because robots need ENERGY!
Perhaps deserving of their own race, I hold all of the WH40K units in extremely high regard, but I think the Tarantula and Leptuos Fortuna are good candidates for a Wheeled1 and Settler, respectively.
The M1 Mech, because it is from RoboCop, and in the movie was entirely robotic.
The Battlewalker, because it is so awesome.
Odd how those two almost make an upgrade path?
The Olai robot, which is rather shiny, but oh so simple and useful as a basic unit.
The Cylon Centurion, for his Stormtrooper styling and attention to military hierarchy.
Oh my, do those upgrade too? Oh well.

I would also work in the DropPod, as some kind of rapidly deployable or super-special orbiting unit (autoproduced by the RecontactUbermachineFactorySatellite?)

And before anybody gives me an odd glance, followed by some grumbled "WTH is he throwing all this stuff out," I've been unable to allocate enough time for my own modding, and thus this is the first CivIII thinking I've done in a while. Hurrah.

Edit: changed wording of the first suggestion.
Edit2: Added robot suggestions to not double post.

Not to get OT, but maybe someone who has them could upload them to CFC Database... so they are not forever lost. All those files at Apolyton downloaded as 0 byte zip files.

I'll upload what I have tonight if no one beats me to it.

If you can do it, you should add civ-exclusive technologies that allow them to make unique units and buildings.
My plan is to build a tech tree like the one in MEM - i.e. the majority are shared techs but with one or two unique techs in each era for each faction that grant some unique buildings/wonders/units.

A bit overused, but why not include aliens in the mix?
Also, I didn't see that really cool terminator-like unit from EFZI2(the talking, walking, and tea-making one). If your idea is for machines to represent the terminators, that could be their leader unit.
Again it's a possibility. For now I'm concentrating on the 9 factions outlined in the OP. But like I said before I shall probably include non-playable "bare-bones" civs that can be fleshed out when new units & leaderheads become available.

How about this idea for part(s) of the map:
A deserted highway, full of bombed out cars fleeing the city, like a few scenes in the film I Am Legend. Maybe it would resemble the Highway of Death.
Nice ideas, check out my terrain screenshot on page 1. It's a random map mod though so whatever will be done must work with a randomly generated map e.g. Ruined Radiocative Cities as Marsh. Bombed out cars are already in there as craters but I'll probably paste them into a terrain tile or use them as a resource.

Maybe it would foster a motorcycle gang or highway-based civ.
That's how I see the raiders - I just need some appropriate units.

Also, you might want to give serious though to how roads and highways would factor into a post-apocalyptic world, given the massively reduced capacity to build roads worldwide. Perhaps make road-building an Era 2 or late Era 1 ability?
I know but gameplay might force me to have roads from the start but they can simply be simple roads i.e. no more than dirt tracks or trails. Perhaps railroads could be highways and put into era 3.

Also: My robot picks.

I like your choices :goodjob: and other ideas. I will update my unit lines tonight and post up the new images.

And before anybody gives me an odd glance, followed by some grumbled "WTH is he throwing all this stuff out," I've been unable to allocate enough time for my own modding, and thus this is the first CivIII thinking I've done in a while. Hurrah.
It's good to get a fix of civ3 modding every now and then.

Watching this thread with interest!

I've been meaning to make some biker-like units for some time (they've been on my to-do list for years), though in the foreseeable future, I dunno if I'll be able to (it takes me long enough to get one unit out these days :undecide:)

I'll try to see if I've got them all and post them. If there is a problem, I'll report it in a brand new thread, with no further OT in this great project thread.

Also, the mufflers sound interesting...although they might be better off obsessed with eliminating all other species. It would give them a more emotionless feel, as these beings who never talk and whose goal is to eliminate all others...

That's what I tried to say when I said they wanted to kill everybody with germs on them. The wastelanders have germs on them, so they have to go. The mutants are mutated, so they have to go. The robots are cool, but they have germs on them, but the Mufflers like cool technology, so they'll probably salvage the robots. The Amazon women wear barely any clothes at all, so the Mufflers hate them as well. Even any Mufflers other civilizations make aren't safe, because the people who wear the Muffler suits had germs on them before they put the suits on, and that means there are germs inside of the suits. Even the entire universe isn't safe, because there are germs in the universe, so that means EVERYTHING has got to go.

More info about the Mufflers:
When the Mufflers invade a town, they kill everyone and take all of the technology they can find, and then they use germ killer to kill off 99.9% of all the germs. Why only 99.9%? Because the other 0.1% learned their lesson! ;)

Top Bottom