Random Rants LVIII: Wassamatta U... Ah Shaddap you face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

classical_hero

In whom I trust

Link to video.

Rants of the past:

Spoiler :
Random Rants (The Original!)
Random Rants Two
Random Rants 3
Random Rants 4: Keep Complaining
Random @#%& rants 5: Life is a female dog.
Random Rants VI: See, this is why we can't have nice things!
Random Rants VII: Why do they ALWAYS do that?!
Random Rantii VIII: When will Latin DIE?
Random Rants IX: I'm Mad As Hell, And I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore!
Random Rants X: Mraarrrrrrr!!!!!!
Random Rants XI: This Title Actually Has Some Imagination
Random Rants XII: It's Alright To Cry
Random Rants XIII: I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
Random Rants XIV: You're gonna love my nuts
Random Rants XV: Like a Fine Whine
Random Rants XVI: Whambulance Dispatch Center
Random Rants XVII: Rage Against The Machine
Random Rants XVIII: It's cold as hell!
Random Rants XIX: Failure Tactics
Random Rants XX: I CAN'T FIND MY FAGS!!!
RANDOM RANTS XXI: Relapse
RANDOM RANTS XXII: The Angry Dome
RANDOM RANTS 23: Christ, you know it ain't easy!
Random Rants #XXIV - The Angry Mob
RANDOM RANTS XXV: Put a Smile On
RANDOM RANTS XXVI: Those Damned Kids!
Random Rants XXVII: The Rent Is Too Damn High!
RANDOM RANTS XXVIII: Everything is Flammable
Random Rants XXIX: Watch your %*$@ Language!
RANDOM RANTS XXX: age-restricted
RANDOM RANTS XXXI: I hate my job
RANDOM RANTS XXXII: I'm In a Glass Case of Emotion!
RANDOM RANTS XXXIII: World, Y U make me fed up wit U?!!
Random Rants XXXIV: Severe Cussing and VERY Illegal Pony Fights
Random Rants XXXV: BANNED IN THE UK
Random Rants XXXVI: Can't Sleep, Clown Will Eat Me
Random Rants XXXVII: The Server Is Too Busy
Random Rants XXXVIII: First World Problems
Random Rants XXXIX: Coming up with a title is stressful
Random Rants XL: I'm having trouble growing my wood
Random Rants XLI: Life won't take the lemons back!
Random Rants XLII: The Four-Part Plan
Random Rants XLIII: So Much Whinging Your Head May Explode
Random Rants XLIV: I Can't Find The Answer
Random Rants XLV: Isn't This Just a Ray of Sunshine?
RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1
Random Rants XLVII: I don't like food anymore!
Random Rants XLVIII: Worst. Thread Title. Ever!
Random Rants XLIX - IT CHAFES MY ARSE!!!
Random Rants Νʹ: Pissed tae th' gills
Random Rants LI- Hell hath no Fury, like a Woman Scorned
Random Rants ნბ: WE FORGOT THE ANAESTHETIC!
Random Rants LIII: F My Life
Random Rants LIV: I Took An Arrow In The Knee
Random Rants LV: The Joy of Ranting
Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad
Random Rants LVII: wow. many anger. very whining.

Well, that was fast.

Repost from last thread:

It's a very tight schedule, and that's only part of it. Tuesday will be brutal because I'll probably be running on very little sleep, have seven hours of jet lag, and will be frantically running across a foreign city alone doing a crapton of complicated things, and I'm merely conversational in German, not fluent. I'm sure I can get English help, but still. I'll be half-dead and swamped with work simultaneously. They expect students to land, move in, get registered at three separate offices across the city, open a bank account, pay hundreds of Euros in cash and hundreds more in credit, and everything else, all by 6:00 PM.

The first time I visited a foreign country I set off armed with nothing but a card that said "I am lost, please direct me to Yakosuka Naval Station" in English and Japanese. Within two hours I had invited myself to some sort of giant corporate picnic, featuring free beer and food, where two very cute girls who spoke not a lick of English took me into their hearts.

All your concern and preparation is not really necessary. You'll survive.

The first time I visited a foreign country on my own I was put in a holding cell for 8 hours. And when I was released I had nowhere to stay, little money, and almost no contacts to help me. So some preparation is necessary, but Phrossack has a visa and living accommodations, so he should be just fine.

Phrossack: the other side of that story is that despite my first day being absolutely miserable and feeling like a punching bag who just went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson I got through it. I got out of holding (they rejected my visa and told me I had to stay overnight and catch the next plane out of the UK), the hostel I had booked forfeited my room because I didn't show up in time (because I was stuck in a holding cell all day), and it was like 7 PM and I didn't know what I was doing. I found an internet café. Booked a hotel last-minute. Called my parents and the professor I was working with. The next day I spent like 6 hours running around the airport arguing with various customs agents. I managed to convince them to grant me a visa with like 5 minutes before boarding closed on the plane I would have HAD to take. Then I got in contact with family in the city, and within the week I was situated in an apartment and things settled down from there. Settling into a new city is going to be scary. Accept that. Rather than focusing on ALL the crap you're going to have to do, just take it one task at a time. Get through customs. Figure out how to get to your apartment. Get moved in. Then progress from there. It seems like it's all going to be overwhelming, but accept that that's part of the process and you'll get through it eventually. And take solace in the fact that whatever happens to you will probably be a hundred times less bad than what happened to me :p

I was locked up for being a foreigner once, but it was in Louisiana.

Repost from last thread:

The first time I visited a foreign country on my own I was put in a holding cell for 8 hours. And when I was released I had nowhere to stay, little money, and almost no contacts to help me. So some preparation is necessary, but Phrossack has a visa and living accommodations, so he should be just fine.

Phrossack: the other side of that story is that despite my first day being absolutely miserable and feeling like a punching bag who just went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson I got through it. I got out of holding (they rejected my visa and told me I had to stay overnight and catch the next plane out of the UK), the hostel I had booked forfeited my room because I didn't show up in time (because I was stuck in a holding cell all day), and it was like 7 PM and I didn't know what I was doing. I found an internet café. Booked a hotel last-minute. Called my parents and the professor I was working with. The next day I spent like 6 hours running around the airport arguing with various customs agents. I managed to convince them to grant me a visa with like 5 minutes before boarding closed on the plane I would have HAD to take. Then I got in contact with family in the city, and within the week I was situated in an apartment and things settled down from there. Settling into a new city is going to be scary. Accept that. Rather than focusing on ALL the crap you're going to have to do, just take it one task at a time. Get through customs. Figure out how to get to your apartment. Get moved in. Then progress from there. It seems like it's all going to be overwhelming, but accept that that's part of the process and you'll get through it eventually. And take solace in the fact that whatever happens to you will probably be a hundred times less bad than what happened to me :p

Thanks, mang. That's helpful. I don't have a visa but Americans don't need them for studying in Germany. I will have to register with the Ausländerbehörde, the city of Bonn, and the university, though. And open a bank account, get moved in, and do a dozen other things. But if you could survive all that, I guess I can make it, too.

Thanks, mang. That's helpful. I don't have a visa but Americans don't need them for studying in Germany. I will have to register with the Ausländerbehörde, the city of Bonn, and the university, though. And open a bank account, get moved in, and do a dozen other things. But if you could survive all that, I guess I can make it, too.

Well I mean, like, you're in a university-affiliated program, which makes things way easier because they help you take care of a lot of [feces]. I was doing everything on my own, and figuring out visa shiz is REALLY confusing and the consulate is literally not allowed to help you at all. Also EU customs is SO much more easygoing than UK customs. This is speaking from experience. Going into France they stamp your passport more or less without even looking. Going from France to the UK you get shaken down in a major way. When in doubt with customs, just remember: their job is to make sure that you aren't trying to sneak into the country to stay. Particularly that you aren't going to come in on a visitors visa (ordinary passport stamp) and then overstay your welcome or run out of money and get stuck (and thereby overstay your welcome). They're looking to see that:

a) You have a return flight home (most important)
b) You have somewhere definitive to live for the duration of your stay
c) You have the funds to support yourself while you're there.
d) If you're doing something that demands a visa, you have proper documentation for it.

Pretty much the way it works is the instant you're vague about when you're leaving they get suspicious and give you a hard time. It took me two nightmarish encounters with UK customs to figure that out haha.

Oh also rant: you didn't put the red face thread icon! How can I be expected to find this thread now?!?

Obligatory post making sarcastic comment about making an obligatory post about how I don't like the new title.

In other news: so last night in my dream, I had a professor who demanded the class show up early at 7 in the morning. Thinking it was something important, and being a goody two shoes, I show up early, 7 in the morning, tired and dreary. And what does the professor do that's so important? She starts advertising about how great a game Dragon Age Inquisition is, showing off videos and playing it for the class, raving about the four-person co-op system (is co-op even in Inquisition?) and all in all just pissing me off, because I was thinking the whole time, I woke up just to listen to this nonsense? I mean she could've been rambling about TES VI instead, I'd've been okay with that. But anyways, the reason why I'm really angry - because I was angry at waking up early in my dream I ended up actually waking early, an hour or so before my alarm was set to go off.

Mandatory title-hating post.

Rant: New rants thread. Old thread gets moved to the archives, PC drops a bit...

Well, that's a huge coincidence.
I haven't listened to the song, in the first post, for one or maybe two decades.
I watched only the first half of 'Shaddap you face' on YouTube last night.
I loved the song when I bought in the 80s, but this is one of the songs I simply can't hear anymore.

I think I managed to get the non-juicy kind of peaches. Most dissatisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom