1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Insects MOD (Discussion & unit preview)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Supa, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Are the Beetle eusocial insects ? Then, no.

Edit:

As I'm merging a lot of species into one, no; all ant civs (or bee or termite or hornet civs) will be the same. The only difference will be in the leader traits and his flavor affinities.

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Wow, the bee looks awesome :)

3. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

Hm, maybe it's just me? But, i find it much harder to make out the bee now that it has that wooly effect...

Tech tree is looking good, not sure about bees and aphids honey? Unless, of course, you're trying to making things easier on yourself, which would be exceptable. ;)

4. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

I'll post a preview when I'll got the colors right and we'll see what everybody think about it. :) Right now, what are your problem with it ? Shape (it gained a few pixels every here and there), colors scheme ?

Aphids Honey : I learnt recently that some bees can collect aphids (and co) secretions, thus the Aphids Honey tech.

5. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

Ah, i see. Thought it was just limited to ants, thanks for clearing that up.

About the bee... i'm not sure, maybe its the colour scheme like you said. It's just when i look at it i find it harder to see a bee.

6. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

Will you have one of those ants that spit acid .. could make a great bombard/artillery unit?
    Formic Acid is secreted out of glands in the abdomen in some ants ... these are the ones that spell like urine when crushed.

Also the ants could have an air unit ... the queens develope wings when immature (and the males I think) ... they fly away to form new nests.

Also in australia we have a jumping ant ... called Jack Jumper don't know if that can be incorporated.

As to wasps ... the most 'social' is the introduced variety that we call the European Wasp ... damn is that a viscious bastard and it is killing many of our honey bees by invading the hives. It can sting manytimes due to no barb on the sting ... they make a paper mache' type of nest. ... so maybe have double attack ???

Honey Bees only have a one off attack and then die, the sting remains in the target complete with the poison sacs which continue to pump the venum long after the bee has had half it's organs ripped out with the sting) ... so a Kamakasi bee unit ???

Finally ... what about a swarm technology ... this will allow a ICBM type of unit ... Ants, Wasps, Hornets, Bees all swarm to attack (not sure about Termites) ... It could be used with limited range to attack a stack of units and damage many.

7. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Yup - with the Acids tech.

Yes and no. They will be a flying ant, but it will only be the queen settler.

There will be a "jumping ant", it won't be an australian but the tropical Gigantiops destructor. Despite the name, it will only be a scout.

Bees can also sting many times.. But not mammalians. Their barbed stingers have no problem with other insects.

Mm. I'm not sure about that. If I have to integrate a non-settler type of swarm, I'd rather make it an army.

8. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

9. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

That's looking quite good. :goodjob: Aren't the wings a tad small, tho?

10. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

11. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Lovely bee. :goodjob:

12. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

Ah, that bee is looking great, i think the colours were just too bright for me last time, but now its much better. :thumbsup:

13. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

14. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Looks perfect! Buzzzzzzzzzz... :)

15. Onza

Onza green shadow of the Past

>Just for you Onza, this is what a wooly poser bee looks like
    >New darker colors

You know - it's absolutely splndid, especially the darker one!
    Actually, your bee is the best animal unit in Civ 3 I've seen. Congratualtions!
    :)
    P.S. - as for the chemical "artilery" insect units - in the stupid heap of insane fantasies that is called "The Future is Wild" there were several documentary sections about beetles. - I was stonished to learn there is an actual fire-throughing beetle on Earth now, which really produce fire-strom attacks on its predators. I do not remember the name of the insect, sorry, but it is a average-sized beetle living smewhere in African rainforests...
    I suggest you guys think about what a cool unit this animal coul really make! :)
    P.P.S. - Supa yes, I meant those beautiful and deadly carabidae killers to be barbarian units :)
    (even though its nice to alter the rules of a mod sometimes and play as a "barbarian" - cool feeling :) - Two days ago and changed rules in the "Sword of Sengoku" and lace an "Ainu civ" in the far North of Honchu island with only two unit (koori dartman and spearman) wich are quite accurate for the Ainu, too, and a Shaman instead of Tokugawa King. And "domesticized" bears - thanks to you, Supa. - The game was cool! - Just loved the warfare using stealth and blitz Ainu dartmen lurking in forests and invisiblly attacking samurai armies. :)))) And the Great Shaman casting curses on samurai arquebusers and killing them from the distance :))))

I think, carabid warriors will be cool :c)))

16. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Well, if I ever integrate the beetles in the game, it would be in an unplayable critters civ. And by unplayable, I meant unplayable. No tech tree, unit not designed to be used by an human. But I won't spend my efforts in that now. As you can see, I've got to make all the units for each civilizations myself and a whole bunch of 2D graphics later.

Why ? If you mean the released bear unit, it isn't by me.

Thanks ;)

17. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

:clap: A fantastic and detailed bee ... i especially like the death :thumbsup:

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The bee is really great :)
    Im still finding it difficult to make insect cities though :/

19. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Thanks for the comments.

varwnos > If you don't succeed or if it doesn't appeal to you anymore, I would understand. Things like this happen. :) Anyway, I won't need city sets before a long time, nothing pressing.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well the progression of the size is a strange concept too, since anthills ussually expand underground, keeping the same entrance, so i am not sure what the different sizes could look like. Same goes for bees i guess. The termites probably can have higher nests for the bigger sizes.